Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Running an Oval chainring singlespeed?
  • Gordymac
    Free Member

Just about to set up a ss and I’ve got an absolute black oval chainring, running on an eccentric bottom bracket.
    Anyone had any issues running such a set up?

djflexure

Possibly the preferred SS setup for many on here. Mine is fine, not on a EBB (if it makes any difference).

bedmaker

Mines been fine Gordy. Very slight tight/ loose as it goes round but works a treat. Oval on SS is good. I’m 2.5% more likely to make Grind on an oval ring than a round one 😉

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

No problems here.

coldlambcurry
    Free Member

Yep works for me too, 3 years down the line…

stevextc
    Free Member

Issues ? Yep riding round chainrings after…
    That’s honestly the only issue ….
    I did briefly put a non oval 1×10 on my trail bike (2015 Whyte t-130) with a 73mm GXP BB onto the 96 bcd outer bolts …
    I stuck on my wheel from my XC (though the wheels is a trail rim) that has an absolute black 40T expander on a 13-36 (no 12T and absolute lock ring).. identical m780 rear mechs and brand new chain (Kmc as on other)

I’m lost as to why it won’t work ! (I’ve done this more than a few times) The brand new chain (cleaned of packing gunk and then lightly oiled) keeps slipping in 1st but only under load (1:3) . I added 2 extra links…(just to check) played with the b-tension … wound it back on upper limit … bunged some extra tension on cable … don’t know if it’s the chain line or is it the new chain … the expander doesn’t look worn… I’ve had 5mm clearance and with the b screw all in even tried 10mm

Went round in circles and …. erm accepted defeat and decided to stick m8000 instead (I’ve been collecting everything for a while and finally got the shifter today by royal snail post…. anyway … that works in the bike stand ….

I’m changing BB this weekend to Hollowtech so I can use my 170mm m785 cranks with absolute oval on. But I’d still like to know why….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Running an Oval chainring singlespeed?’ is closed to new replies.