Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Running a frame designed for 160 forks with 150 forks. Sod all difference?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

First questions first, will I die?
    I may be being given a new frame, it ships as a full build with 160 pikes, I have 150 pikes, will I notice that mere 10mm?

Yetiman
    Free Member

You might, you might not, but if it is a Solo Air Pike you can change the travel quite easily with a new 160mm air shaft.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/rockshox-air-shaft-pike-soloair-275quot-160mm-29quot-140mm-id84585.html

wrightyson
    Free Member

I have the rct3 solo air pikes. They are the 27.5 version if that makes any difference. If that’s a possibility I will speak to the bike shop and get them to do it.

amedias
    Free Member

With forks it’s all about the Axle-to-crown height rather than listed travel, but as you’re comparing the same model that’s less of an issue.
    10mm is within the realm of difference between manufacturers/models even at the same travel. Becomes even more borderline if you also change tyre sizes or fit a different headset to OEM spec etc. Not to mention one fork might sit more into it’s travel than another yada yada yada.

Very little in it in use.

bruneep

I doubt you’ll notice.

somouk
    Free Member

The 10mm difference could be taken up as a sag setting so you won’t notice I would imagine.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I doubt it, I run my Covert with 150’s as that’s all I have got (soon to change hopefully) and it’s ok although I am no shredder / bike expert so probably too dim to notice 😳

mboy
    Free Member

No, you won’t die. The head angle will be ever so slightly steeper and the BB a couple of mm lower.

Very easy and relatively cheap job to change your existing forks to 160mm though. If you need one I have a spare 160mm 27.5 Pike Solo Air shaft kicking about.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer mboy, usual stw generousness. I’ll see what happens with the possible replacement then take it from there. Cheers for the replies fellas.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Anyone know how easy it is to do this with dual position Pikes? I’m running 150mm Pikes on a 160mm frame and have pondered upgrading.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Running a frame designed for 160 forks with 150 forks. Sod all difference?’ is closed to new replies.