Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • running a double set up on my jones+…..how?
  • ton

running a 32 front at present. chain runs very close to the tyre when in the largest sprocket.
    is there any way I can run a double front without running a smaller rear tyre?

think it is running the wider xt crankset already.

scotroutes

What width is the rear hub – 135 or Boost 148?

If it’s the latter then a set of Boost 2x cranks should give you clearance on a 3″ tyre.

ton

scotroutes

Ah. Think you’re fecked then.

timbur
    Free Member

http://surlybikes.com/parts/drivetrain/od_crank

One of these it what is used on the demo bikes and customer builds. Seems to work. Blinkin heavy though imho.

ton

or drop the front to a 28………….. 😆

gari
    Free Member

What tyre are you running? I have a MrWhirly crankset with the inner ring only, set with no spacers drivesde, and I don’t having clearance issues. The axle is the the standard 73mm, but the spacers are NDS. Running 2.4 HD on 30mm rims.

ton

3” chronicle on a hugo rim

scotroutes

Chronicles IIRC – i.e. 3″

Edit: whoop!

gari
    Free Member

OK, could you space the chainset out a little on the DS without changing the chainline too much? Not that it helps but I was toying with putting a 2.8 trailblazer in the back of mine @27.5, did give some thought to maybe having to build the rim onto my Hope SS for this very reason. Plans have changed now so won’t be going down that road. How much are you short, so to speakk?

ton

going to try a 28 or 30 ring 1st. i like to spin and am rarely in a rush. 😀

CheesybeanZ

30 oval , got one on the fatty and I can tell the difference on steep stuff.

ton

ok mate. cheers

Duc
    Free Member

Ton, Jeff has managed it so it must work.
    Just picking up on your other thread what direction are you running your rear chronicle – one way is draggy as hell and the other not so bad. I can’t tell much difference in grip at offroad pressures either

STATO
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

What width is the rear hub – 135 or Boost 148?

If it’s the latter then a set of Boost 2x cranks should give you clearance on a 3″ tyre.

You can run a boost crankset with a 135mm rear end, it just restricts the amount of gears you can (should) use when in the outer chainring. Its only 3mm so just dont go into 10th (or 11th if you’ve got 11). Pretty sure that’s how its done on other Jones.

ton

tyre is on in correct direction.

think I may have to change the chainset to run double.
    just realised I have the xt m8000 chainset on. it is designed for a single ring.
    so I need a nice new xt double/triple chainset instead.

scotroutes

Tony, the XT8000 single I have is just a double with a single ring fitted. I’d check it out.

A Boost version would give you some added clearance though.

STATO – I wasn’t sure just how it would work. Can you run small front/large rear – a required combination – and have tyre clearance?

lotto
    Free Member

@scotroutes. Looking at Boost cranksets for my Jones Plus (148) I was going to go 1×11 (11-46) with just the single ring boost XT 8000 cranks but for not a lot more money the double is available. It would if nothing else at least give me options in the future. Do you find the set up of running a single on the double cranks ok? I was going 32 on the front.

STATO
    Free Member

STATO – I wasn’t sure just how it would work. Can you run small front/large rear – a required combination – and have tyre clearance?

Not sure on specific bike combos but based on the fact you can buy a Jones Plus complete with a boost crank and (seemingly*) normal rear hub it must work.

*no indication its boost rear hub

EDIT

From the Jones manual..

For instance, a Shimano Boost crankset for mountain double (denoted by the addition of B2 to the part number) moves the position of the inner chainring out to 45.8mm from the centerline, which gives clearance for lower­volume 29×3” tires such as the Vittoria Bomboloni and Maxxis Chronicle, but not larger volume ones such as the Bontrager Chupacabra. Because this introduces a gray area where some tires fit and some don’t, we only recommend using the Surly O.D. cranks on Jones Plus frames.

ton

thinking about it, I think I will just buy a 28 to run for a while. I only wanted lower gearing until I built my fitness up again.

am I the only person who thinks 1 x is just shyte?

scotroutes

My XT8000 single isn’t Boost but it was ordered as a single and is just a double with one ring fitted.

I’m running it on a 135 hub with 11-42 cassette. I’m getting the fairly standard “chain falls off the inner cog when back-pedalling” problem that seems to be endemic to 1×11 setups. Other than that it’s all good.

slowster
    Free Member

Example builds on the Jones blog of the non-Boost Jones Plus showing Shimano and Surly double chainsets – all 2 x 10:

We’ve been busy, but we’ve built some bikes too! Here are some samples.

It is not clear whether the Shimano 10 speed chainset in one example is the standard or Boost version

scotroutes

you can buy a Jones Plus complete with a boost crank and (seemingly*) normal rear hub it must work

Good spot. It’s only running 10-speed at the rear, though 11-speed does have the largest cog slightly closer to the centre of the hub. Can’t believe it would make a lot of difference mind.

scotroutes

ton – Member

Jury is out for me. Works OK on the wee hardtail I use locally but not on my Pact used for bikepacking etc. Discussions with friends locally are that folk are avoiding 1x specific frames and bikes or running 1×12 Eagle to get a range of gears back.

Let’s wait a couple of years and see if any manufacturers resurrect front mech capability on their frames.

fasthaggis

Nope (says the man that still uses triples) 🙂

RustySpanner

Just cannot see the point.

I always seem to use all my gears on a triple – it’s steep round here.
    Lots of link-up road sections are fast and great fun flat out on knobblies in the big ring.

If I lived somewhere else, or just played about in the woods, fine, but for big days out it’s useless.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘running a double set up on my jones+…..how?’ is closed to new replies.