Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Running
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Argh. F’in hate it sometimes. Anyone else force themselves to do it?

dannybgoode

Am going to when the wife gets in. Rain and all…

allan23
    Free Member

Tried it a few years ago as winter evening fitness. Knees hurt, hip hurt, even with a a slow and steady Couch to 5k type start.

Keep meaning to try again but seen Zwift so may stay in, save up and get a new Smart Turbo Trainer instead.

molgrips
    Free Member

I suck at it generally but I do improve a lot when I do it regularly, and it gets more comfortable. But even then, it’s so f’in dull.

But sometimes due to time or location, it’s either that or the sofa.

MrPottatoHead

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with running. I’ve long accepted I’m never going to run any really good times, but there are moments when I genuinely enjoy it more than cycling. Plus for me the feeling of accomplishment when finishing events e.g. marathon has felt better than anything I’ve done on a bike as I find it so much harder. When I’m not running well, its just awful.

Running off-road is far less dull than on-road, and a good excuse for running slower!

binners

You’re aware the pubs are open, right?

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

No love it, miss it since knee surgery

ferrals
    Free Member

Yep, hate it, went for 20 minutes when I got home though, this time of year makes sense when you’ve been in an office all day. Plus I have recurring issues over winter with too much turbo training meaning supporting muscles weaken and apparently running is a good way to stop that

Del

lol at binners. about sums up my problem attitude.

marcus
    Free Member

Struggle a bit with motivation at this time of the year , but love it once out in the mud and dark

hjghg5
    Free Member

I used to be a runner and ran some decent times (gfa etc). But it injured me repeatedly so I switched to cycling. I have got back into habit of running fairly slowly 1-2 times per week which is enough for me these days to keep some higher impact stuff in my routine.

Bregante

Love it and hate it in equal measure.

In fact I was all set to get out tonight – even after a 13 hr shift on a rainy and cold Tuesday night. Unfortunately I read the mince pie thread about 20 mins ago and have now just eaten two of the blighters so I might just give it a miss tonight…

wilburt
    Free Member

Love a bit of running, dont get me wrong I’m rubbish at it, 26m 5k and anything under an hour for 10k is a success. But running has a lot of advantages: Its simple, pair of traners and youre sorted, 30/60 mins and youre properly done, the same would take hours on a bike, most of us can find somewhere with clean air to run around, people in cars dont go out of theirway to kill you and most of all its very zen. If you absolutely have to work out a problem or process a difficult situation, break some stress go for a run.

Start slowly, walk run etc and do the parkruns if there’s one nearby.

leffeboy

Love it and hate it in equal measure.

Once I’m into a routine it is great but if I lose it for a week getting going again is horrible. Always feel better overall for it but it does feel like a waste of time.

… unlike reading all the guff on here 🙂

thecaptain
    Free Member

Hated it for years, forced myself to take it up about 5y ago, once I’d got slightly competent I started to enjoy it. For some reason, a good run reminds me of rowing in a good boat, just tapping it along with minimal effort. Wasn’t like that this morning on the back of a bad cold and some late nights though!

nickc

Love it mostly. I find it’s best to just go. Don’t think about it, just get in, get changed, go running. Otherwise it never happens TBH haha

allthegear
    Free Member

My running night tomorrow night. Thinking of joining the half marathon training programme for Cambridge half next spring. I am an idiot.

Rachel

Cougar

Argh. F’in hate it sometimes

Um. Don’t do it, then?

piemonster

Depends on the running!

Road = shite and I avoid it
    XC/Trail = it’s ok
    Fell Running = awesome

langylad
    Free Member

Went on my first run for 8 months yesterday as my back is feeling a bit better. Mud, rain, just me on a fell. Bloody marvelous. Lactic is killing me today though

Spin
    Free Member

XC/Trail = it’s ok
    Fell Running = awesome

This. I’d rather cycle on the road than run on it and that’s saying something.

bensales
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Argh. F’in hate it sometimes. Anyone else force themselves to do it?

Nope, I love it. Have to force myself not to do it at the moment in order to let an injury heal.

loddrik
    Free Member

Got a dog and now it’s easy to go running. Although tend to only get out three times a week. Much easier to just get out than cycling.

molgrips
    Free Member

I went.

**** you couch

**** you running, too.

Almost came back because I twinged my knee, then got into my stride and ran fast for a bit, then discovered I’m not really recovered from previous cold so my speed collapsed and my head hurts. But I still went.

I’m not sure I will ever be zipping along with minimal effort, though.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Started really getting back into it this time last year..
    Not run since May.
    Head well and truly gone pop this year.
    Really been struggling with a fair bit this year.

epicyclo

I used to run a lot but stopped doing it when I came to this country.

These days I can still run a lap of the ‘Puffer, but ye gods, I’m slow. Maybe speedy shambling would be a better description. 🙂

dragon
    Free Member

I agree with thecaptain, once you get up to a certain fitness it is nice and you can just roll along in an almost meditative state. Under that level of fitness and it is just a grim, unenjoyable slog.

mogrim

XC/Trail = it’s ok
    Fell Running = awesome

AFAIK fell running is trail running, just when it’s cold and wet. So trail running’s awesomer.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Went out tonight, managed a pretty pathetic 5k, but its first time since Edinburgh marathon 2012, so expected it to hurt! Fitness wise I felt not bad, but felt it in the legs real early on. To be expected I suppose.

Spin
    Free Member

fell running is trail running, just when it’s cold and wet.

And hills, proper hills. And bog and heather and scree. Basically all the things that sort the wheat from the chaff. Trail running is for your dilettante, fell running is for the cognoscenti. 😉

piemonster

AFAIK fell running is trail running

It isn’t.

HTH 😛

mogrim

And hills, proper hills. And bog and heather and scree. Basically all the things that sort the wheat from the chaff. Trail running is for your dilettante, fell running is for the cognoscenti

No “fell running” in Spain, but plenty of mud and scree and heather. And proper mountains, not just yer shandy-drinking northern hills 8)

fasthaggis

Loved running,those moments when you hit that perfect stride,everything in tune and you are eating up the miles,brilliant.
    Never,ever finished a run wishing I hadn’t bothered going out.
    I really miss it,but my knees don’t want to play any more,so we have made a deal,they let me keep cycling(hopefully for many more years) if I don’t do running. 🙁

piemonster

No “fell running” in Spain

Pretty sure you’re referring to mountain running. Also awesome!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m much much better at fell running than I am at road.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s hill running up here….

tuboflard

I’m running more than I am biking at the moment, probably getting about 100 to 120km a month in. I avoid road running like the plague though, its tedious and it bores me to tears, I just stick to trail and fell running, helps I live in the Peak District though as I probably wouldn’t run at all if i lived in the city.

I find it an excellent way of building base fitness and endurance, and the return you get on an hour or two run is the same as going out for twice as long on a bike. There is definitely a technical aspect of running on difficult trails at speed too, not dissimilar to picking a good line on a bike, run with someone who is really good at it and they just seem to move at a really nice cadence over the rocks instead of stuttering through them. I’m good, but I’ve seen lots of others at races who are a whole lot better.

Spin
    Free Member

It’s hill running up here….

I’m altering my lingo so the southerners can understand me.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Enjoy it but it’s so frustrating – had a bit of virus I struggled to shift and have only run a few times in the past month and seem to have lost all the running fitness I gained! Generally I seem to lose running ability quicker than cycling ability, for some reason.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Love it.

Currently injured, hate that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Running’ is closed to new replies.