Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 410 total)
  • Running.
  • nosemineb
    Free Member

Lets have a running thread- What plans have you got? How is the training going? Are you injured or on top form?
    Im going ok, not my fastest but not injured so im happily trying to find more time to run to get the miles in and ultimately get faster.
    I did Masham Burn Valley half marathon yesterday and it was a good race but i never found top gear and just cruised round without much effort which made it quite enjoyable.
    My next big race is Snowdonia marathon and hope to get some shorter 10k done before then to.
    Post a pic of yourself running to as I’ve never seen a running thread with pictures!

donsimon
    Free Member

Just started running as an alternative to riding in this crappy weather.
    I’m doing the C25K program and hate it, but it has to be done. With any luck a loosening of the muscles and improvement in style will make it more enjoyable.

ianpinder
    Free Member

I can’t run more then 5k which I did with the c25k.

However, I’ve signed up for an ironman in 9 months so need to start running proper!

DS by the way, I did that, it sucked to begin with then after :0 weeks you realise that you can run 5 k and it becomes really enjoyable. Stick with it. I’ve just started c210k!

Pieface

I did the skiddaw fell race yesterday in the wind, rain and mist. its amazing how warm just a vest can keep you. quite pleased with 8th place but need to do at least one session a week with hill reps and a long steady run. the problem with racing is that they often take place when you want to do a long run, but they do increase your speed

crispo
    Free Member

Ive decided to make a run my goal for the year this year.

I like to set myself a challenge every year, last year I did my first ever endurance bike ride (Gisburn Dirty Dozen in a pair). I was going to aim for Kielder 100 this year but with work plans changing I didnt know if id be able to committ to the training so i decided to enter my first marathon.

Have entered the Preston Guild marathon. Its only once every 20 years and it right on my door step so i thought why not.

Have started training but its not until 28th October so got ages to train still. Im fairly young and not too unfit so i figured I should be ok. Ive run a half marthon with a friend before when he was training for London and that was without training so with a few miles under my belt i’ll be fine.

Was out running on friday and did 11km in about 53mins. Plan is to keep putting in 6-7km training ones a few nights a week tthen introduce gradually longer weekend runs to get used to the big distance!

emsz
    Free Member

A bit shit at the minute. twisted my ankle good and proper about 3 weeks ago, and only just this weekend felt like I could sort of run. It was a kind of hobble for the first couple of kms, then I warmed up and it was sort of ok but could only do about 8 miles, and at the end ankle was swollen and sore. had to strap it back up and ice it.

Hope it gets better, as my speed has totally diasppeared. Fell like all the training I was doing earlier has all been for nothing, and feels like I’m starting all over again. never felt like crying after a run, but I did yesterday.

Question, when you get back and your face is all crusty (gross I know) that’s salt right? should I add some salt into my food afterwards to replace it?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m doing the Ben Nevis Tri in September, which involves quickly climbing the mountain rather than running as such. I finally tried a foam roller on my ITB to fix my knee pain and it has seemed to work after all. Need to get some speed intervals in, I think I’m going to try running up to the woods from my house and doing reps up the steep DH chute that I ride down on my bike.

Emsz – speed goes quickly but comes back quickly – you’ll be fine in no time. As for the salt – our diets in general have more salt than we need I think. Maybe if you feel properly crappy after a really hot long one, or if you find you drink loads and pee loads but still feel thirsty.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve never liked running, always been hard to do and knees have always been a problem..
    However..
    Over the last few weeks (3) I’ve been getting out and running in my local woods, takes about 5mins to get there and can run around either hard pack trails or free run on deer/rabbit/fox paths through the undergrowth. I’ve been really enjoying it TBH.
    It’s brought about a little change in my routine of train journeys and endless meetings and has revitalised a need for getting out in the woods with minimal time allowance and deep breathing heavily wooded undergrowth, then a run down the river and home.
    I’m not too sure I could/would enjoy pacing on the road stuff (like the endless stream of Mums round my way) but bouncing in the woods is rather perfect.

Hope the knees hold out.

theteaboy
    Free Member

Well done Pieface – that’s a cracking run, beating some very good runners.

I’m a commuter runner – I run to a local station on my way to work 3 days a week. With 2 small kids I don’t get time to do much in evenings/ weekends so I’m basically adapting time-crunched cycling to running and thrashing myself with intervals.

Doing Ingleboro fell race in 3 weeks, Rydal Round and a couple of shorter races over the summer, then Leeds Abbey Dash 10k in Nov aiming for 34:XX.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I had a nice mini Forest Gump moment yesterday.
    I went out to do my typical 9 mile Sunday run, then felt ok early on so changed it to a 12 miles, got within a mile of home, then decide I still felt fine so added on another loop and ended up doing just over 20 miles. Started to wilt a bit in the last mile, but I’d gone out with no food or water, so that was maybe to be expected. But overall I was pretty pleased with the outcome.

stevehine

I’m gradually getting back into running ‘properly’ having had a good 12 years off (ITB injury when I was 21 put me out for a while and then just never really got back into it) – until I noticed how big I was starting to look in photos … so I’ve been running on and off for the last couple of years (half marathon in 1:50 last year) but this year I’m aiming to push on; lose another stone or so and attempt to get my half marathon time down somewhere towards 1:30 .. with luck !

thegreatpotato
    Free Member

I do like running. But it’s being rather neglected lately while I waste a lot of free time and energy on trying to learn to swim. Then weekend before last I thought I’d test the legs and “go long” – run for an hour (I’m a steady rather than fast runner, so this’d be roughly 10k) that way, then turn around, slow down even further, and see if I can then also run home again. Instead my guts had other ideas and decided after only 20 minutes that I really REALLY needed to find a toilet to pebble-dash. Which put me off carrying with the original plan.

Fearing the same, yesterday morning I did an inpromptu duathlon instead. Thankfully done without any hint of the backside backlash. Slow 10k run done with loops of the park, hard-pushed 20k bike ending back at the park for another 5k loop. It must be fun to watch someone comedically trying to run after jumping off the bike, but it sure as Hell is no fun being the one doing it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I spent spring training for Paris mara which I did in 3:30 (was hoping for better TBH but I think I did too much too soon and didn’t feel great).

Still trying to keep it up at 5-10 miles a week to get my body more used to it (I’d never run before about 18 months ago) so I can try another marathon and hopefully cut my time down – <3hrs is the ultimate goal, not sure how long I’ll spend trying.

MrSparkle

teaboy – see you at Ingleborough!
    My running is going ok. I aim to complete, and ideally do well in, our club fell race championship. I’ve put a fair few miles in this year and balanced that with miles on the bike on the road and the SS off road. As ever my main aim is to compete in the Three Peaks cyclocross so it’s all about that for me. My fell running helps. A lot.
    The OP asked for pictures but everybody seems a bit shy. Here’s me a few months ago:

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m going for a run today for the first time in about a month, I expect to not be able to walk tomorrow. Last time I tried it I was following the Couch to 5k but 2 weeks in I was having major knee pains and couldn’t walk properly for a week..

IanMunro
    Free Member

The only one I could find was me at about 800m to go in the local 10K.
    I died at around the 8K point 😀

nosemineb
    Free Member

Near the end of a fell race.
    At the finish to my local 10k.

Keep them coming!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just looked out my mara pics, no danger, I look awful!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Post it!
    If I ever do a marathon and do it in something like your time, I’ll be posting pictures everywhere 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m doing the local peak district fell races – about 1 a week, they’re all about 8-9k, with about 300m of climbing, they take me about an hour (the winners/everyone else scamper round in about 45mins)

running down steep hills is brutal, especially if you’re rubbish (i’m rubbish).

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks Ian I am talking full on 24-mile grimace here, with cross-dressing, can you handle it?

Garry_Lager

I started doing the parkruns a month or so back – used to run quite a bit several stone ago but not done anything for 10 years. Good fun, took nearly 4 mins off the PB already just by staying off the ale on the Friday night. Absolutely dead at the end of them, whereas it’s clear the blokes finishing with me could do another 3 or 4 times round no problem.

No big aims – be happy if I keep the parkruns up and maybe go out for 2 short runs in the week. Maybe extend to 10K if I get into a nice routine with it. It seems like a bit of an injury-fest compared to cycling so just ticking over doing short stuff is fine for me atm.

ahwiles
    Free Member

It seems like a bit of an injury-fest compared to cycling so just ticking over doing short stuff is fine for me atm.

listen to your body, start off slowly, build up slowly.

fell running is full of hard-as-nails 50/60 year old super-giffers, running will keep you young.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Just about to go out for lunch time run along embankment, over westmister bridge then along albert embankment up to MI5/6 and back. It’s about 10k and will be pacing it at about 7:30 with 4/5 6:50ish extended efforts in there…. hopefully they aren’t too many tourists this morn.

molgrips
    Free Member

Almost everyone here is complaining about a running injury or pain of one kind or another. I’ve hardly heard anyone complain about a cycling injury that wasn’t a crash.

I see far more 70 and 80 year old folk trundling around (or blasting around) on bikes, not sure I’ve ever seen one running apart from on telly.

Gunz
    Free Member

After a couple of halfs and one full, this year’s challenge is a 10k and getting some speed in to my legs is proving really hard (8 x 500m sprints this evening, really not looking forward to it).

finbar
    Free Member

I’ve just come to the end of one the most solid training weeks i’ve done in about five years.
    Six miles on Thursday, incl. 1.5 miles fast. 9 miles Friday morning slow. Mile on Saturday barefoot. ~12 miles last night, starting slow then 5k pace for the last mile.

I’m going to have a bit of an easy week now and hopefully run a parkrun PB in a week or two.

IanMunro
    Free Member

There’s a couple in the local club who took up running in their 50s I think. There both in around about 77ish and do marathons at about 4:30 to 4:40.
    There’s a bloke round the corner from me who’s late 70’s maybe early 80’s and still does marathons.

Mind you there’s also a couple of mtbers nearby in their 70’s who ride every week irrespective of the weather, and regularly drink to 3-4 in the morning and cycle home pissed. One of them can’t see so well now, so they do tend to crash a bit on the ride home 😀

tails
    Free Member

i really need to have a go at my local parkrun, I run mainly on the treadmill which is okay but I know outside is very different. I mainly run 5k occasionally 10k, but my ankle (shin splint I think) is a bit tender and my doctors cares not one jot. Need some new shoes as well, anyone used nike lunarglide 3?

willard

I hate running. The weather doesn’t put me off much, but the lack of get up and go I have right now is.

The last race I did was a 10k last year and that was tough. I missed out on a repeat performance this year due to some ork with the Army, but next year I’ll be back for it. If I could get my arse in gear and get some miles under my feet I would be tempted by a half marathon later in the year, but I just need to get out more.

As for injuries… Where to start? I know my ITBs are weak points, so I stretch a fair bit, but I keep being told I need to stretch more. Same with glutes, hamstrings, quads and calfs. More stretching needed more often. I think I’ve also got some nice torn cartilage in my right meniscus, but I’m putting off the doc visit in case I get downgraded. I can still run, it’s just a bit sore and tight. Nothing painkillers can’t cure. Besides, it’s all a big test isn’t it?

nosemineb
    Free Member

Ive been to the last 2 park runs but my wife ran and We supported. This weeks race was with the presence of Liz and Martin Yelling. My wife beat her [liz was pushing a buggy] Martin came 2nd.
    My predicted shabby results are out and i was a min quicker than thought and 23rd of around 230. Not too bad really. 😀

_tom_
    Free Member

Running in the rain today wasn’t too bad. Probably more of a light jog as I only covered just over 3 miles in half an hour, but it felt good and I managed to run the whole lot rather than my previous efforts of running for 5 minutes then having to walk for another 5 to recover 😆

brassneck

I see far more 70 and 80 year old folk trundling around (or blasting around) on bikes, not sure I’ve ever seen one running apart from on telly.

Mother in Law, 64 ish, Croyde half marathon the other weekend. Actually she didn’t make it to the start line due to some mysterious illness so I think you’ve got a point! She’s a catalogue of injuries from running but is of the school of thought that running up a few more hills will sort that broken leg out.

Going to the other extreme littlest Mini Me completed his first fun run at the weekend, 800m on little just 2 year old legs. About 10 minutes behind everyone else, but kept going and refused to let me carry him for any of it.

MrSparkle

The V70 class prize in local fell races is usually won by somebody. I hope I’m still able to ride a bike at 70 but if I can still run then I will be doing!

theteaboy
    Free Member

At the Tebay fell race this year (9m, 3000′ including Blease Fell – 1000′ in less than half a mile) the V70 beat all the V60s!

thomthumb
    Free Member

might go out tonight. my aim is to run once a week. i’m pretty crap but i have no expectations (unlike on the bike) which makes it more pleasurable.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cool thread….

i need to start again, putting the pounds on…

oh seems like some of you know your stuff.. any tips on making it more enjoyable…

half the battle is to actually get out the door… i used to go with my mate but he was fitter than me and it killed me mentally.

i have toyed with the idea of a heart rate monitor, is it worth the faff?

cheers

ahwiles
    Free Member

…any tips on making it more enjoyable…

go somewhere nice – singletrack is good 🙂

willard

Monkey-boy, never really cared for the data. You’re probably going to be going your own speed most of the time you are out, so it’s just data that won’t mean much.

My HRM kept slipping down mid run too. It was either leave it at home or superglue the damn thing on. I left it at home.

surfer
    Free Member

i have toyed with the idea of a heart rate monitor, is it worth the faff?

Of no benefit whatsoever in my opinion. When you are very highly trained and extremely competitive then maybe.

I did the skiddaw fell race yesterday in the wind, rain and mist. its amazing how warm just a vest can keep you. quite pleased with 8th place

Well done Pieface, excellent run

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 410 total)

The topic ‘Running.’ is closed to new replies.