Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Running 26" wheels on a new 27.5 soul
  • StuF

Anyone had any experience of this? Probably some 2.35 Hans damph / Rock razor tyres.

I’m looking for the best way to upgrade my 10 year old Cove HJ. I can’t justify a whole new bike in one go, so trying to workout the best way to do it piecemeal.

kayla1
    Free Member

I’ve got 26s in my old shape BFe 275 and it’s great.

gwurk
    Free Member

Better mud clearance. lower BB. slightly faster steering (assuming you are switching to a 27.5 fork with greater offset.). Stronger lighter wheels. Cheaper tyres.

pretty much win win win win win win in my book*.

If you’re planning on just using your 26″ fork. You might want to try and use a tall stack lower headset cup or run the fork 10-15mm longer. (Depending on your geometry preferences)

BB height should be a fairly noticable difference. Coves had fairly high BBs. cotics BB height is lower but not really low or anything.
    Low BBs are ace once you get your head round it.

*Available in antique book shops under A for AWESOME in the free thinking section.

daern
    Free Member

My son’s bike is a 27.5″ (frame and fork) running 26″ wheels intentionally to match the wheels to the rider more effectively. No drawbacks for him as things like lower standover and lower BB height are both positive advantages for a shorter rider. Mud clearance is obviously excellent and, much to my surprise, the bike doesn’t even look too weird for it either:

I might consider slackening the fork in the future, but for the XC riding he does at the moment, it’s absolutely perfect.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As per another thread I am looking upgrading my beloved 2012 26 BFe frame for a new 275 one swapping over everything probably including 150 forks which would seem to suit a 275 Bfe designed for 275 140’s – maybe.

Same logic OP replacing the great 26 kit I have just for the sake of it is a waste of money imho

kayla1
    Free Member

Here you go, my BFe 275 on 26″ (not plus) wheels with 140mm 650B forks-

It rides smashing.

portydave
    Free Member

Aye, 26″ wheels on a 27.5″ BFE works fine for me

StuF

Hmm, this looks like it might work, just need to find some funds.

Thanks for the replies

core

Not so stealth ad….. My large 275 soul frame is for sale

StuF

ha ha Core, your ebay ad inspired the question.

just need to find some funds….

gribble
    Free Member

Should be absolutely fine. I have just built a Bfe with 26 in wheels (which is on the Friday Cotic thread). I went for the 26 in version in the end, but seriously considered going 27.5 and then just using the 26 in forks and wheels I had spare.

I think 26+ tyres also look like they will make the bike more comfortable, if that is of interest.

kayla1
    Free Member

26+ (2.8) just fits in the old 650B BFe, but I prefer the sketch and discomfort of boggo 26… 😆

edit- 26+ just fits in the Soul 26 as well.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Running 26" wheels on a new 27.5 soul’ is closed to new replies.