Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Running 2 Dropbox accounts
  • franksinatra

Any pointers here would be great.

I use dropbox for the usual stuff and the basic version is fine for me. I don’t really want to change anything about that. I also sit on a Committee as secretary and for this I want to create Pro account where I can easliy share, collaborate, grant access and, at the end of my term, hand over the account to someone elses management.

I’m really struggling to get this set up with two accounts on one (windows) PC as Dropbox only really wants you to have one. Has anyone done this and can you offer any pointers?

Ta

nickjb
    Free Member

You can do it with a second Windows user. Its pretty easy to switch between users and you can still access all you files. A bit of faff but not too bad.

Edit: looks like if you have a pro account you can do it as one user: https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/61

footflaps

I have two (one work, one personal). I use a shared folder to sync/move stuff between the two and use web access to access my ‘other’ account when I’m on the wrong machine.

thenorthwind

I have two (one work, one personal). I use a shared folder to sync/move stuff between the two and use web access to access my ‘other’ account when I’m on the wrong machine.

Me too, but only have one dropbox account on any given machine.

wwaswas

Shared folders is the only way to do it really.

Share one of the committee ones with your personal account so you can access it locally. You’d have to use the web interface for anything you didn’t want shared or have a second windows user, as above.

I can’t remember if the shared folder comes out of your 2gb (or whatever limit) though – I seem to recall it might.

footflaps

Yep, shared folders count as part of the 4Gb free account limit.

gonzy
    Free Member

i’ve had a DropBox account for the last 2 years. i had to do a few extra things in order to get the storage capacity up to a massive 54Gb but my storage allowance expired a few days ago when my phone contract expired and now its back down to 9Gb.
    i’ve since upgraded my phone and moved over to OneDrive and i’ve now been given 1.1Tb of storage on there for the next 2 years.
    the wife had less on DropBox (30Gb) but is now down to 9Gb but i’ve moved her over to a separate OneDrive account where she has 110Gb of storage.

ive never needed to use more than one account. but i did try to register a new DropBox account on one of the laptops at home and it wouldnt let me. it picked up my email address in the google autofil and sussed what i was trying to do and stopped me!

jam-bo

I found the sync speed so dire with onedrive that I’ve reverted to dropbox.

gonzy
    Free Member

i managed to upload over 3000 images from my whatsapp folder in less than 10 minutes, but trying to upload 2000 camera images took a long time…i’ve only had the account running for a few days so i’m willing to persevere with it for the time being to see if things improve.

the-muffin-man

I was just about to ask that question!

Dropbox is so fast at syncing. I’ve tried GoogleDrive but that is horrendous, not tried OneDrive though.

footflaps

In most cases the limiting factor is probably your upstream broadband speed, which is pretty dire on most home connections….

jam-bo

In most cases the limiting factor is probably your upstream broadband speed, which is pretty dire on most home connections….

I did some tests on my work connection which is pretty fast up/down, put the same file in dropbox/onedrive.

dropbox would be uploaded and synced in seconds, onedrive would take minutes.

footflaps

Interesting, Dropbox is hosted on Amazon S3, who are by far the biggest Cloud company, so possibly they have faster infrastructure.

Sandwich

If you are a Mac user then Dropbox Encore works with El Capitan and allows 2 accounts to be working at the same time.

franksinatra

Thanks for all of the advice.

I’ve actually managed to get hold of a second laptop so going to use this for all committee business and that gets around the problem. Will then look into linking folders between thr personal and team accounts so I can easily grab doc from other devices where I have my personal account installed (phone, tablet etc)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Running 2 Dropbox accounts’ is closed to new replies.