Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Running 10wt Castrol fork oil in Pike RCT3 lower leg, can it be done?
  • manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

So RS say to use 30wt stuff which is their own but I have a bottle laying about after doing an open bath 32 (Which work well) would it be fine to use it for lower leg, I think it is only 30ml each side so I can’t imagine a big change.

mboy
    Free Member

RockShox spec the thicker stuff for a reason.

Older RockShox forks specced 15W for lower leg lube, would say 10W would be ok at a push in older forks but would replace with 15W asap even then.

10-15ml of oil in each lower leg too, 30ml is far too much.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

RockShox spec the thicker stuff for a reason.

And the reason is……?
    And is it a good enough reason not to ignore?

I can imagine that it may be to keep some lube up near the seals in a vertically stored firk, for example. But thinner lube in a fork stored a bit more carefully might be fine….

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

Oh ok, I mean the foam rings hold oil but being less viscous it would seep down and the oil wouldn’t stick to the bushings as well. I mean the usually spec stuff for a reason, not for the fun of it.

But still at 15ml I can’t imagine a big change, any other opinions?

deadkenny
    Free Member

If you get the lube kits from TF, they seem to use the same lower lube mix for old and new RS forks inc Pikes. Which is good as I’ve still got a load of the stuff. Also they use 5wt for uppers, which I assume would be used to bleed the charger in a Pike (never done a charger, but done uppers in Lyriks and Recons, same 5wt fluid).

Scamper
    Free Member

Opened up my new Yari (plenty of lube oil but bone dry foam rings). I was surprised RS state using their OW-30 on the foam rings as well as for lube – it just doesn’t look as sticky (and I presume wonlt last as long) as RS Red Rum or Fox Float fluid, both of which I have large amounts waiting to be used 😕

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

I might just stick my bike USD for a day and see if I can get the oil to seep down, I got my forks second hand and haven’t ridden them properly yet so thought if may be best just to do an oil change. I’ll get some proper 30wt stuff then from RS. Is it also normal for the first 5mm of the travel to be ‘loose’. It’s at 160mm.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Running 10wt Castrol fork oil in Pike RCT3 lower leg, can it be done?’ is closed to new replies.