Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • Runners – whats your 5k time?
  • ajc
    Free Member

It takes a lot more than a few weeks training for any man to run a sub 20. My local park run has around 100 entrants and although it is a slow course I normally come in the top 10 at just over 20 mins. I would expect to knock a minute off that for a pan flat road course. Just get out and join your local park run, they hurt but are addictive.

theteaboy
    Free Member

‘Good’ is tricky to quantify. The faster you get, the faster ‘good’ is (and if you’re anything like me, you’ll never quite get there!)

I think 40min for a 10k is generally thought of as ‘good’ so maybe 20min for 5k is a nice round target number? – Edit – If you’re a reasonably healthy 15-50 year old male.

SamB
    Free Member

My PB (at a parkrun last week) is 26:01. I’m with the slowcoaches here, I reckon a 20min 5k / 40min 10k is pretty fast from where I’m standing…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    theteaboy
    Free Member

Actually, scrap what I just said.

‘Good’ is either better than last time or the same as last time but it feeling easier.

Don’t compare yourself with other people. Unless you’re winning races you’ll just get frustrated. I came 2nd in a little hilly road 10k last year and was really annoyed as I should have won it. But I was fast and felt good so it was a good performance for me.

brooess
    Free Member

Keva – Member

That’s weird because if you turn up to any 10k event and finish in 40min you’ll more than likely be in the top 10% of runners.

I don’t agree with that at all! Maybe you’re talking about fun runs, but most of the local 10k club races are won in around 30-31 mins and 40 min would see you in the bottom half! Or maybe races have got slower since I used to do them?

Speaking as a 39:35 PB, sub 40 is most definitely NOT ballpark for a regular runner. A sub-40 will see you in the top 25% of a 10k – not a fun run but one with club runners too. A combination of natural talent, speedwork and bloody-mindedness needed for a sub-40. A new runner would have to be very talented to see sub-40 with only a few weeks training.

Look at the tables in the post on the previous stage which provides empirical (rather than subjective) figures…

andrewh
    Free Member

16:50 a couple of years ago, haven’t done one for ages.
    35:52 for a 10K.
    It’s weird, when racing locally (Lincolnshire) I’m right up there, top-10s in 10Ks and 2nd at an XC half. But I still race near my old home in Fife, did a 10 mile race in 29:40, came about 40th and got beaten by two girls! Got into the top 100 at Carnethy (just) and was dead chuffed with that. The competition is definatle ybetter up there.

spawnofyorkshire

It depends upon what you’re trying to measure yourself against as to how fast you are.

If you’re a beanpole/run for a club/have ‘competed’ then sub-20 mins for 5k is where you should be aiming.

If you run to get fit, do occasional fun-runs / charity runs then if you’re sub-25 you’re usually in the top half.

I’ve run 21:46 for a 5km, I only occasionally run for a bit of fitness for hockey and biking and come in the top 50 out of 300 in my local parkrun when i do it. I’m happy with that as I have a completely different physique from the skinny gets in front of me and carry a good 4 stone more in weight than them.

Parkruns are great if you pick the right pacemaker in front of you to focus on and concentrate on their ‘form’

theteaboy
    Free Member

brooess – Member

A sub-40 will see you in the top 25% of a 10k – not a fun run but one with club runners too.

Depends on the race,. Last year I ran:
    35:30 in a low-key club 10k and came about 65th of 500ish.
    36:50 in a big charity 10k and came 11th of about 7,000.

djglover
    Free Member

Managed a 17:34 at park run last year.

marvincooper

“Quick” for a cyclist and “quick” for a runner doing a 5k / 10k are different I guess. I was basing this on my experience as a runner from about 10 years ago when I was training quite a lot and a 40 minute 10k for me, then, would have been a steady training run. It’s all relative isn’t it, I doubt I could get anywhere near a 40 minute 10k now.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I’d say sub 20 would be considered pretty good. Most people would need to do a bit of running to achieve that.
    Closer to 15 minutes is very good and sub 15 would be very competitive. Thats when you realise that Mo is practically sprinting for 5k to get sub 13min. Madness.

trail_rat
    Free Member

aye andrewh carnethy Hill runners are notoriously unhinged.

1 or 2 of them will even give most expert mtb riders a run for their money at cycling.

aracer
    Free Member

With a few weeks training most men should be able to run under 20 mins I would have thought, unless overweight. That’s (obviously) 40 minute 10k pace which in itself is not particularly quick.

Really? You appear to have forgotten to tell us what your pb is.

My best 5k on the road was 17:30, but that was the half-way point in a 10k as I’ve never run a 5k event (second half was a little slower at 18 minutes dead). Have run 16:30 on a treadmill.

The last 10k I ran I was top 10 with a 38 minute run, but as mentioned it all depends on the event.

phil.w
    Free Member

Speaking as a 39:35 PB, sub 40 is most definitely NOT ballpark for a regular runner. A sub-40 will see you in the top 25% of a 10k

Top 25% but over 5 mins back from the top 10.

(speaking as a sub 35 10k’er)

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I guess many people think the fun-run/park run/mass entry type of thing is what a normal 10k or 5k event is all about, whereas I think the smaller local races are the standard. Given that on every single weekend there will be a local race not far from you then I say that’s right as the smaller open club races are the most common type.

Troon 10k 2012 had nearly 900 entrants yet it was won in only 31-odd. I remember doing a club event that had 20-odd in it and it was won in 30 mins, pretty much everyone was finished by 40mins.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

mtbmatt – Member
    I’d say sub 20 would be considered pretty good. Most people would need to do a bit of running to achieve that.
    Closer to 15 minutes is very good and sub 15 would be very competitive. Thats when you realise that Mo is practically sprinting for 5k to get sub 13min. Madness.

Exactly! Try running a lap of a track in 62 seconds and imagine holding that for 12 laps! I could have done it for 4 laps at my best, and be utterly dead with no sprint at the end and I thought I was good… another level!

marvincooper

Really? You appear to have forgotten to tell us what your pb is.

15:50 fwiw, having done a lot of training for the 800/1500m. That isn’t especially “quick” but it would appear to be to the novice runner. 20 mins would be achievable for most runners with a bit of (the right kind of) training.

Jamie
    Free Member

15:50 fwiw, having done a lot of training for the 800/1500m. That isn’t especially “quick”

…erm. It isn’t?

piemonster

aye andrewh carnethy Hill runners are notoriously unhinged

Pish, bunch of pansies

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    15:50 fwiw, having done a lot of training for the 800/1500m. That isn’t especially “quick”
    …erm. It isn’t?

You’d need to be hitting sub 15 to win a lot of good club races, say 14:30 to win county races. The better you get the more you feel/know how much faster you should/want to be. You’d still be getting lapped by Mo etc at this speed!

Going by the title this thread is aimed at runners, as opposed to people who just jog now and then?

hammerite
    Free Member

Organic don’t worry about it, your 24 mins for 5k was on a treadmill in a gym during a training session. You can pretty much guarantee everyone else is talking about their PB during a race.

You should be able to run a fair bit faster if you ran on the road in a race – I certainly wouldn’t be running flat out for 5k very often on a training run.

marvincooper

Totally agree, but he did ask for pbs 🙂

hammerite
    Free Member

Dan – I’m guessing you’re referring to club races in and around Glasgow? Given that runners who are sub 15 mins tend to race the track at some point during the season there aren’t a huge number of sub 15s on this 5k track rankings list from runners from Scottish clubs (similar numbers on the 10k rankings too).

Must be the same few runners winning most of the races, so those that are able to must be the very best, and not the norm.

5k track rankings

hammerite
    Free Member

Marvin – he did, but no point getting disheartened comparing against PBs.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Not really hammerite, there are often a shortage of high quality 5000m track races in the scottish calendar, and there are more club runners that focus on road racing than the track in the senior rankings, therefore peaking for a track 5000m would possibly interfere with big 5k road races. There are far more guys running road seriously than track at that distance.

My road pb was 15s faster than my track 5000m. Track surfaces vary a lot and it’s not always faster, not to mention that races can be more tactical especially when there are people who feel they have a good sprint finish, such as an old club mate from Inverclyde that won the national xc 2 times.

surfer
    Free Member

Where’s Surfer? He’s a handy lad in two legs

😳

Road ones dont really count but I have done under 15 for 3 miles (around 200m short of 5k) and done sub 20 mins for 4 miles.
    Best track 5k 15:48, best track 3k 9.01.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

23 minutes, but that was a while ago so should be a minute or two quicker now. 1/4 marathon 54 mins, 1/2 marathon under 2 hours.

Training a fair bit so should beat all of those in the next month or two.

Running is great.

hammerite
    Free Member

Understood Dan. I’d agree with you that generally a lot of 5k races round here are won in around 15m, but there are very few runners who get close to being in that position and not the norm. There usually tends to be a fair gap between the top couple of runners and the next best.

organic355
    Free Member

OP here again, just upped my game a little this evening and from my original 24:07 yesterday I managed a 21:32 tonight which I am quite pleased with.

I am definitely not a runner and this was hard for me, cant see me ever being able to break 20 minutes to be honest.

finbar
    Free Member

I ran 16m59s on the road last Saturday. My PB is a smidge faster.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

organic355 – Member
    OP here again, just upped my game a little this evening and from my original 24:07 yesterday I managed a 21:32 tonight which I am quite pleased with.

I am definitely not a runner and this was hard for me, cant see me ever being able to break 20 minutes to be honest.

You need to get outdoors to guage what sort of speed you can run at. Honestly, the treadmill is pointless. Get a well-callibrated cycle computer and measure out a loop of, say, roughly 1000m, and then see what you can do. If it’s just under 1000m, make a white mark on a tree/pavement/fence where the extra metres are to make up the 5000 on the last lap.

organic355
    Free Member

I really don’t think the treadmill is “pointless” it has a very valid point. It was raining the last 2 evenings when I go home from work, with it in my garage I have run 20k this week, without it I would have sat on my area and played playstation.

chiefgrooveguru

With a few weeks training most men should be able to run under 20 mins I would have thought, unless overweight.

Statements like this are:

1. Wrong
    2. Exactly the right thing to say to beginner runners if you want them to quit before they’ve got into running.

My fastest adult 5k is 22 minutes. As a teenager it was around 18 minutes. I’m sure I could get below 20 minutes but it would be a lot of work and although I don’t look like a distance runner, I look much less like a rugby second row, so I’m in the right physical ballpark as it were.

organic355
    Free Member

damn predictive text above area = arse

RealMan
    Free Member

It was raining the last 2 evenings when I go home from work

I haven’t run for years and years. Injured. It sucks. I loved it.

Running in the rain = awesome.

I really miss it.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Using treadmills is not as good for getting fit as proper running for many reasons. Your ankles and shins won’t learn to adapt to the terrain, you overheat given there is no wind to evaporate the sweat, you genuinely can’t push yourself as hard (despite what you may feel after running hard on the treadmill!), your body is simply not prepared for running were you to enter a race, for example.

It’s odd that rain puts you off running!

Get out there and get fit! 🙂

will
    Free Member

I assume most if not all these times are on road? How much difference would you expect a time to be if the route is off road, fields and mud? Assume similar elevation.

Keva
    Free Member

it’s impossible to say, all depends on the course. I doubt many got a PB on this one…

IanMunro
    Free Member

Using treadmills is not as good for getting fit as proper running for many reasons. Your ankles and shins won’t learn to adapt to the terrain, you overheat given there is no wind to evaporate the sweat, you genuinely can’t push yourself as hard (despite what you may feel after running hard on the treadmill!), your body is simply not prepared for running were you to enter a race, for example.

A friend does 95% of her running on a treadmill, with the odd track session. Normally finishes in the top 3 female vets. She’s not so great at off-road for obvious reasons. So yeah no doubt she could go faster if she did more miles on roads, but it’s hardly crippling her performance.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Runners – whats your 5k time?’ is closed to new replies.