Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Runners….. What's a good average running pace?
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

Hey peeps,
    Started running at the start of the year and am slowly progressing.
    Injured myself a few months back so ive been taking it really easy this time.

I started running 3.5k and tried to increase my pace over a week then upped the distance the next week. Then tried to increase my pace over the new distance.

I’m feeling good about it and it seems to be working for me but I’m just wondering how far I’m off the mark.

This week I’m on 6k and average about 5.5 mins per Km.

Dickyboy

It’s all relative – 7.5min per mile was all i could achieve over 10mile distance

gravitysucks
    Free Member

By the way I’m no whippet. Currently 15.5 stone with a little excess but toned I’m not gonna be under 15!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    toys19
    Free Member

I ran the great north run (half marathon) in y2k in 10 minute miles. Paula radcliffe did it in 5 minute miles . She’s fit, I’m fat, see if you can get somewhere inbetween, whilst aiming for the paula end of the spectrum..

sweaman2
    Free Member

So it does a bit depend on how far you’re going…

I’m not a super keen runner but have always felt that the following are roughly the speeds which separate a decent runner from slower people… partly because they’re about what I manage and I like to think I’m doing ok 😀 I’m sure everyone has their own perspective though.

5k – About 20 minutes (So 4.5/km)
    10k About 50 minutes (So 5/km)
    21k (Half marathon) – Something just under 2 hours (So about 5.5 / km)
    42k (Marathon) – 4 hours (So about 5.7 / km)

molgrips
    Free Member

I can do 8m miles, about four or five of them maybe if it’s flat, and I reckon I’m still pretty poor. I want to be able to do 7m miles.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I did my first 10k in years on Monday… 52.31.

Took it pretty easy bar the last 1k. My thoughts is that sub 45k is ok. Around 19 mins for a 5k, would see me pretty happy.

and 5 mins for a mile 😆

chiefgrooveguru

It varies vastly – depends so much your personal physiology. The ParkRun (5k) results are quite interesting: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/

I’ve never run more than a half marathon and I don’t train at distance running per se but I’d say I’m relatively well suited to it and my 5k best is ~22 minutes, 10k ~46 minutes, 1/2 marathon ~1hr45. This is a useful calculator:

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/site/calculator

What I have noticed is that once you’ve got used to running, reducing your time/km is hard word for every second – speeding up by 30s/km is a big increase in speed!

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Ok cheers guys. I’m kicking about 9m/m then. Quite happy with that as its uphill there down back so progressing nicely.
    7m/m was what I had in my mind for some reason so will try to work towards that but at a nice gentle progression like I have been.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

A few years ago I was regularly managing 8min miles on a favourite 6mile cross country route, rough terrain but only slight incline for half of it (with occasional steeper sections), and other half of it back on slight descent. Went out pavement plodding last night for the first time in many months of doing little or no fitness and managed to maintain 2 miles at a fairly fast pace due having to keep up appearances with lots of runners out on the same route, some pretty girls. Legs are suffering today. Probably going out tomorrow, somewhere less popular with runners so I can jog rather than run. 🙁

convert

Could I suggest variety is the spice of life and the best route to faster pace if that’s your thing. Don’t just keep on doing the same thing every run.

On a four run per week program:-

1 shorter faster run with a main section well above your current pace and a warm up and cool down either end.

1 interval or hill rep set with short hard bursts and lots of steady recovery in between.

1 longer run at a slower pace.

1 short very steady recovery run.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

and 5 mins for a mile

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Oooh Darcy, how dare you laugh at my ambition, if… no, no… when I do it… you’re going to owe me a Cornetto.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ll lick your Cornetto if you do TSY. 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

*red wine and keyboard interface error*

I’m going to have to go STW Braveheart on this one…

Tenacity of TJ
    Perception of Hora
    Decisiveness of Molly
    and Luncay of everyone else.

stratobiker
    Free Member

I believe that 6 minute miles marks the boundary between seroius athletes and mere mortals.

SB

emsz
    Free Member

If I’m in the mood I can do 41-40min 10k. it’s the only distance I measure really. I’m going to do longer distances this year. went running with one of the long distance runners last weekend, and at the end of 15 miles I was bashed in. LOL

according to Stratobiker, I’m 45secs of the pace, and there’s NO WAY I could run that fast over that distance!!

richmars

Don’t forget, the ‘miles’ you see the professionals run aren’t real miles, they’re about 10% short. There’s no way anyone can run that fast, just not possible.
    It’s the same with tennis courts; Wimbledon is about 10% larger than the courts at your local club; that’s how the pro’s can hit the ball so hard; the courts are bigger.

PS fastest I did with real miles was a 10 mile race in one sec less than an hour.

Taff
    Free Member

Think 8min/miles is a good target. Depends on the distance you’re going for though. Not been running since Great South but with the run I did before that and the race itself had between 6:20 and 7:50. Can’t get consistent times over a long run though

molgrips
    Free Member

So shall I go out on a run right now and see how fast I am?

stratobiker
    Free Member

So shall I go out on a run right now and see how fast I am?

Yes, of course!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

😆

You going to join me in some triathlons this year?

molgrips
    Free Member

I could do… Definitely want to but not sure how I’ll manage to get the swimming training in.

Right then – going to get changed now.

TheBrick
    Free Member

26:43 for 10 km is my PB.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

TheBrick – running? Are you Kenyan?

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok. I’m going……. NOW!

gravitysucks
    Free Member

You back yet Molly?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve just done 3 miles in 30 mins, but my excuses are that its my first exercise in 6 months after pneumonia, and running on’t moor in the dark with an Alpkit headtorch.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

TheBrick – Member
    26:43 for 10 km is my PB.

Are you sure, according to Wiki – The world track record for men is held by Kenenisa Bekele of Ethiopia in 26:17.53.

See you in London this summer

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I reckon Molly’s done about two miles so far.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

He hasn’t asked what shoes to wear… so I reckon he’s still sat on the stairs.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Are you sure,according to Wiki – The world track record for men is held by Kenenisa Bekele of Ethiopia in 26:17.53

I only run on the road not on the track. I’m just not into the competitions tbh.

molgrips
    Free Member

Back.. average pace 8m38 – rubbish. Still getting used to the new shoes to be honest.

Having said that it’s hilly, the pavements are very rough and there are a fair few obstacles like steps and a steep path downhill which is unlit, broken up and thick with wet rotting leaves which is rather nadgery in the dark, so you can’t run fast on it.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I run like Kenenisa Bekele on cocaine with a rocket up my arse.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Over four miles?

Yeah, that’s rubbish.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Its a long burn rocket.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

TheBrick – you sure you’re not just smoking buckets?

molgrips
    Free Member

Annoyingly the only thing holding me back is various tendons about my body. I hardly broke a sweat, relatively speaking.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What’s up with your tendons Mol?

wellhung
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member

What’s up with your tendons Mol?

Reads as though he’s trying to say his engine is mint but bodywork & chassis are shot :<)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Runners….. What's a good average running pace?’ is closed to new replies.