Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Runners: shinsplints = running shoes worn out?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Last time I used running shoes to ~500 miles, I started getting mild shinsplints…fast forward and my current pair are possibly nearing the end of their life (700 – flexy non heel strike type) and I’m getting the same symptoms.

Is this a reliable indicator the shoes are dead?

scaredypants

I’ve always imagined that shinsplints was due to too hard a heel strike

(then again, I know sweet FA about running)

hammerite
    Free Member

It could be a sign, but there are lots of things that can cause shin splints, mine used to be too much speed work or doing speed work too soon when not quite fit enough.

I’d get the shoes changed anyway just in case.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have a 2nd pair so I’ll use them consistently and see how it goes.

Shame to bin them, and they ain’t cheap…

Duffer
    Free Member

flexy non heel strike type

If there’s no padding/support in them, then there’s nothing to wear out, Shirley? Unless the tread is worn through, then they’re still serviceable. The only reason they suggest you should change “normal” trainers regularly is because the support wears out and changes your gait.

Personally, i’d look elsewhere. I don’t think the trainers are the problem here.

Bregante

I’ve been told this. Admittedly by a running shop. But having said that the problem did go away when I bought new shoes.

oldnick

Upped/altered your training recently?

Lots of causes of shin splints, my physio found that my tibialis posterior was crazy tight, doing calf stretches with my big toe bent up against a step eased it off and improved things.

footflaps

Personally yes, every time I got shin splints it was fixed by buying new trainers.

Shame to bin them, and they ain’t cheap…

if you mainly run on road, as I do, the shock absorption goes long before the uppers do, so you end up binning what look like almost new shoes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No change to training, shoes aren’t zero support, (Asics Gel lyte 33) and I guess I am a mid-foot striker – can’t tell which of ball or heel lands first – so I guess it’s the support in the heel that may be going.

neilco
    Free Member

It’s a yes from me too, based on my experience. I get through a lot of shoes each year but have just come to accept that. When I replace running shoes they get cascaded down to gym shoes and are Ok for treadmill running and working out.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just get rid of the shock absorbtion and make your foot do its job 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

I like the idea of that molgrips, got a marathon in 16 weeks though.

soobalias
    Free Member

they have already done 700miles?

c’mon, you aint scottish, just get a new pair already.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think he is Scottish actually?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Scotland resident Norn Irish person.

15p a mile, it grates 😡

nickc

Just get rid of the shock absorbtion and make your foot do its job

says the bloke who only this week was complaining of knee pain… 😉

Matt_SS_xc

Agree with old nick, seeing a sports podiatrist is a good idea. Do you run with headphones? If so, stop. Listen to how you run and try to run quietly. Will probably ruin your calves for a while but should make a big difference. In the mean time try massaging a nice cube down your shin until it all melts after every run.

molgrips
    Free Member

says the bloke who only this week was complaining of knee pain…

Yeah that used to happen when I had cushioned shoes too 🙂

As for running quietly – when running through busy areas I get funny looks at my feet cos of the tap-tap-tap noise it makes.

nickc

Yeah that used to happen when I had cushioned shoes too

but wait…Barefoot running hasn’t cured you?…but but but you said!!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Not had shin splints for about 2 years, got them a couple of nights ago. For me it was running in shorts, cold legs and starting off ruining downhill.

Stretching apparently makes a big difference.

molgrips
    Free Member

Barefoot running hasn’t cured you?…but but but you said!!

What did I say?

nickc

What did I say?

About the benefits of barefoot running? Over the years I’ve read your posts on just about every running thread, is there anything you haven’t said?

molgrips
    Free Member

I haven’t said it cures all injuries.

Usually I take care to talk about the theory behind it. I don’t say that it will prevent injuries, not in the least. A lot of people think it will, but I couldn’t say.

I also say that some of the principles helped me a lot, which is true. So naturally then I would speak favourably of it to others.

nickc

Molgrips, chill, sorry I’m pulling your chain.

Most people who run anything like seriously have given them a go, most people in the clubs and races I go to have binned them and gone back to regular shoes as well. For some folk I think they’re of “some benefit” for most I’d say there isn’t, I could be wrong, but then so are 99.9% of folk who don’t run in them for any long periods and now use them as trainers to do the gardening in…

spidersexual
    Free Member

Have you seen that advert on here for Reebok Cross majigys ?
    They look good plus badass in red & black

molgrips
    Free Member

It does annoy me a bit when people just put on a pair of minimal shoes, run for a bit and then bin the idea. The whole point is that you change how you run which takes a lot of time and effort. If you aren’t going to do that then save your money. And don’t dismiss it based on that.

Personally I can’t imagine how anyone who makes the switch properly would ever go back. Running with fat squishy things under my feet feels so completely wrong now!

Travis

When you changed your shoes was it like for like?
    Or was there a change in the amount of support?

Has your routes / training suddenly changed, more climbing/descending / more speed work?

nickc

Personally I can’t imagine how anyone who makes the switch properly would ever go back

people run differently and for different reasons. I ran slower with them, so went back.

djglover
    Free Member

Oh god not another barefoot debate!

Not specifically shin splints but when I get niggles it’s always when I start to build mileage in old shoes. 700 miles is a lot, doubt there is much cushioning left

Pieface

I prefer minimal shoes to barefoot as most of my other running is in fell shoes. Even the transition wasnt overnight though. 700 miles sounds alot but the root cause is not your shoes.

Try some stretches and heel raises and pay for a private sports physio appointment

ahwiles
    Free Member

those asics 33’s are big squishy shoes, you could easily hide a heel-strike in them, even* hide it from yourself. And if you are heel-striking, you’re at the mercy of your shoes built-in squish. 700 miles is probably a lot / enough to wear them out.

replace them, run the marathon.

then think about flat shoes / changing your style / or not.

(*even/especially)

Pieface

If marathon is 12 weeks from now, that’ll be at least another 350(?) miles you’ll be putting in to them between now and then anyway.

I’d get some new ones now, as barefoot or technique aside, they’re probably knackered and your body has got used to training with a level of cushioning. Unless you’re happy to risk missing the marathon I wouldn’t do anything crazy like convert to barefoot. However don’t dismiss the technique / strengthening benefits that a weekly 5k barefoot run may bring in a pair of pumps.

molgrips
    Free Member

When you changed your shoes was it like for like?
    Or was there a change in the amount of support?

Has your routes / training suddenly changed, more climbing/descending / more speed work?

Assuming you’re tlaking to me – there was less support, less cushioning and no heel. The shoes just made it easier to run with a fore/mid strike. Having tried the old shoes again it’s clear that the minimal shoes make my foot into a nice wide platform for running, which I like. And I don’t like all the squishy stuff under my feet now. But for me the heel is the biggest thing. Oh and the minimal shoes are much lighter, and that’s quite noticeable.

No, the big change for me was changing the foot strike – that was an instant improvement in everything. The shoes just work a bit better for that kind of strike. I’ve no idea if I’m quicker in the minimal shoes than the cusioned ones.

Point is that it takes a pretty long time for everything to adapt. Won’t be quicker if you just stick a pair on. Doing lunchtime runs in London I see hundreds of runners every day but only one or two with minimal shoes on.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Sports Pod here!
    It seems as if you have found the cure for the specific problem that causes your injuries. Patients that present with the same problem and have found the same cure are always advised the same thing… if you stat to get pain in shoes that have done 500 miles then you should have binned them at 400.

Have a look online for last years model of the same make and buy them that way if expense is the reason why you try to get as much out of your running shoes as you can.

Quick tip, have a look at the sole of you shoes at the heel, if the shoe is designed with a large protrusion of EVA sole at the heel counter then try swapping to one that has zero heel counter, or a vertical back to the shoe. This will shorten the arc that the foot travels in from heel strike to mid foot stance, and it will decrease the speed at which it does this, reducing the forces that can cause some shin splints.

Molly, not going to get into it here, and forefoot running does work for some, but in my professionl experience they are in the minority. The barefoot running fad has finally and thankfully run its course, and we will see less injurys now until the next big thing comes along, 29″ shoes perhaps? :wink:. Not good for my bank balance though!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m interested in why you think it doesn’t work for most people (genuine interest, not being sarcastic or argumentative). What injuries were you seeing due to lack of cushioning? Apart from blisters.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Going ‘barefoot ‘ is more energy efficient some studies have found, but those studies have been done with experienced runners.

My average patient is certainly not that, and I would count experienced runners as those that do over or above 25K per week.

Injuries caused are many, mostly to the mid foot from fractures, soft tissue injuries, shin splints, avulsion and tendonosis injuries..

These injuries can occur during any running activity for those new to the sport and experienced runners, but the injuries in clinic from those who have just taken up barefoot running, or had been diong so for some time and presented with different overuse injuries were very noticable.

But, if it works for you and others then carry on! but next time you are watching any sort of athletic race of distance, have a good look to see how many true forefoot runners you see.

molgrips
    Free Member

Most are mid-foot, it seems.

I’ll admit that it is harder, because you have to get your body to do the work that your cushioned shoe would be doing. But isn’t that the whole point of running anyway? Getting your body to do the work? 🙂

I am generally quite robust so perhaps that’s why I have manged it fairly well. I’ll admit that my calves are pretty sore this morning, but that’s cos I did 10km yesterday and 10km the day before, which would have been inconcievable not that long ago.

stever
    Free Member

No change to training, shoes aren’t zero support, (Asics Gel lyte 33)

If they’re anything like the Hyper 33 I find them a weirdly unresponsive shoe. For something supposedly ‘natural’ they’re quite clunky. I took a hot knife to the plastic stiffener under the sole to break it up and still don’t really like them. I’m not that fussy over shoes (normally run offroad) but I’ll be glad to see the back of these. Like you I’m too tight to just stop wearing them 🙂

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Trouble we didn’t evolve to walk or run in dead straight lines on concrete or tarmac surfaces, or be as sedentary as we are now. barefoot running was seen by many as a quick fix, when losing weight as well as slowly building fitness levels is far more sustainable.

molgrips
    Free Member

Trouble we didn’t evolve to walk or run in dead straight lines on concrete or tarmac surfaces

Yes. 15 miles over the Brecon Beacons in the Fan Dance Race – tiring, but manageable, no sore tendons or anything.

13 miles on road in a half marathon – forget it, I can’t even imagine it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Runners: shinsplints = running shoes worn out?’ is closed to new replies.