Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)
  • Runners – how do you carry stuff?
  • boblo
    Free Member

You don’t need a phone for an 800m run! 🙂

Sorry I’m just sat here giggling to myself like a small boy. Just being a bit mischievous Moly, not serious… 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Not all my runs are 800m! In fact none of them are, I didn’t just go out for half a mile.. I did 800m intervals, and a loop out and back to a suitable bit of road.

zilog6128

running and MTB are just for shits an’ giggles.

have you informed the IOC about this? I don’t think they got the memo.

molgrips
    Free Member

Road bikes are for hurting yourself and getting fit, running and MTB are just for shits an’ giggles.

I can’t imagine anyone would think road biking and running weren’t in the same category tbh.

seanoc
    Free Member

I’ve always used a phone belt clip type pouch. Just got a Griffin Defender of eBay for £7.50 and that’s seems to be working quite well. Other than that you could always choose alternative shorts? RaidLight have side pouches that could hold a phone and Salomon have huge pockets on the back that should help.

Junkyard
    Free Member

They are different categories in a triathlon

boblo
    Free Member

The Griffin Defender sounds like it could be a variant of my wife’s Black Invader… 🙂

nickc

I can’t imagine anyone would think road biking and running weren’t in the same category tbh.

You live your life, I’ll live mine, thanks all the same.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nickc, I wasn’t handing out advice, just marvelling.

footflaps

I just carry a door key in my hand and nought else whether it’s a 15 mile fell run or a quick 10k round town.

boblo
    Free Member

moi aussi

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Alternatively get a fuel belt so if doing longer runs you have access to water too? but has pouch to put stuff in.

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/261237871236?var=lv&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=66&ff19=0

Jamie
    Free Member

i don’t run, but am amused by molgrips’ admission that he wears tights.

Amused? Personally, I’m more turned on.

lovebadger
    Free Member

Bumbag type belty thing…do not use a cycling jersey! Stuff bounces about like crazy!!

mogrim

I use a Salomon camelbak thingy, which was great until it sprung a leak on the a run last week… only had it 2 months, too 🙁

If it’s not hot an armband thing works, good for ID card and iPod, got a Suunto for Endomondo logging.

piemonster

Amused? Personally, I’m more turned on.

Is it any men in tights, or a Molgrips specific thing?

surfer
    Free Member

When I think of Molly running this is the mental image I have.

[/url] tumblr_merc4uod5b1rn92z6o1_1280 by [/url], on Flickr[/img]

Its ruined now

Jamie
    Free Member

Is it any men in tights, or a Molgrips specific thing?

Bit of both.

p.s what you wearing?

boblo
    Free Member

Nah Surfer, this is more like it

ivornardon2
    Free Member

I bought a Galaxy smart phone earlier this year and realised that it was far too expensive/delicate/prone to water ingress/unecessary to bung in a pocket or bum bag and go running or cycling round the Peak District.

So I picked up a small £5 PAYG from Tesco and bunged on a tenner’s credit. Gave the number to my wife and a few mates and… hey presto, instant access to the emergency services. So small and light you wouldn’t notice it. Bung it into a couple of zip lock sandwich bags and you’ve got the waterproof version.

ivornardon2
    Free Member

piemonster

Bit of both.

p.s what you wearing?

Here, fap yourself silly. I appear to even be doing a dainty flounce looking at my leg position. Skipping across the Fells I was.

image by piemonster, on Flickr

Jamie
    Free Member

verses

Left hand: Phone (MP3 player, GPS tracking, emergency calls).

Right hand: Water bottle and key.

That’s as much thought as I’d given it…

wwaswas

Lifeproof case + their armband.

you can see the screen, listen to music, make calls (if you have to).

house key in zipped pocket in shorts.

I’ve never run for long enough to need water but my wife uses Salomon blets with bottles in them and likes them.

brassneck

I bought a Galaxy smart phone earlier this year and realised that it was far too expensive/delicate/prone to water ingress/unecessary to bung in a pocket or bum bag and go running or cycling round the Peak District.

Sandwich bag, or ziplok one if you’re feeling flash has kept mine fine in all sorts of weather.

I’m with Molly, I got a smartphone precisely so I didn’t have to buy a Garmin or upload stuff to a PC then to Strava – if it wasn’t easy, it wouldn’t happen.

I have a couple of armband types, don’t really get on with them. Best has been a Karrimor bumbag, though a smaller one would be better, and if it’s only 30 minutes or so then I wear me shorts with pockets and take the occasional bollock/iPhone collision as collateral damage.

boblo
    Free Member

Just to let you all know, off for a run. No bumbags, armbands, smartphones or GPS’s will be at risk during this epic adventure in the Fens… 🙂

binners

You’d be surprised how much you can pack into a decent sized codpiece

molgrips
    Free Member

You’d be surprised how much you can pack into a decent sized codpiece

No, I’m well aware of it 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

this epic adventure in the Fens…

To be fair, even if you fall down, someone will still be able to see you from 20 miles away.

/fenlandbanter

nickc

What emergency has befallen you in the past to suggest that carrying a phoneis an immediate requirement?

What emergency is bad enough that you think you’ll need to call someone if you only a few Km from home

Are you running so far into the wilderness ( difficult in the UK) that you won’t be stumbled across by a passing pedestrian, cyclist or motorist?

We’ve been sort of programmed into taking a phone everywhere “just in case” when in reality you don’t really need to, and its quite nice to be away from it ( technology, modern life, pressure etc etc)

I run in the evening often just for the sake of running not measuring time or distance but just on whether I’m “done” it may appear a bit “zen bollocky wankshite” but it does for me

wwaswas

What emergency has befallen you in the past to suggest that carrying a phoneis an immediate requirement?

My experience;

I broke my hip riding a bike. My phone battery was dead. I was probably 200m from a busy park but it took 20 minutes for me to get anyone’s attention and it bloody hurt waiting.

My mate;

Was found unconcious on a bridleway near Brighton at 10pm last Friday – he’d probably lain there for 2-3 hours before being found. Clearly he wasn’t able to use a phone but some sort of buddy beacon would, perhaps, have helped someone find him sooner.

molgrips
    Free Member

We’ve been sort of programmed into taking a phone everywhere “just in case” when in reality you don’t really need to

Chuff me, talk about making a snooty ‘modern life is rubbish you’re all sheep’ point out of an incredibly simple question. Yeah, I’m programmed, I’m an unthinking automaton, yeah I’m a brainless fool addicted to technology. I love to run along with my earphones in tweeting and facebooking as I go. Then I post a picture of my drink of water extensively marketed recovery drink that I think is going to turn me into Mo Farrah when I finish.

As above – you can hurt yourself badly when out running, or you can hurt yourself moderately, and if I carry my own phone I can call my wife, which is much easier than limping to a phone box or flagging a stranger down.

Plus I like to log what I’ve done. I’m not obsessive about it, I’ve done loads without any logging, but it’s handy and with Strava I can measure my performance easily. I don’t give a shit if you do or not, and nor should you give a shit if I do.

technology, modern life, pressure etc etc)

FFS, my phone does not make pressure. You make your own pressure. I don’t answer work emails, I don’t get calls, I don’t make them.

surfer
    Free Member

The only time I carry a phone when running is if I am on a very long run or in the fells for several hours and by a long run I mean 25 miles plus and I am carrying a bag anyway. 99% of my running I only carry a key.
    Carry a phone when cycling as you are not carrying the weigh as such plus you may need assistance and its no trouble to simple slip it into your pocket.

and nor should you give a shit if I do.

You did start the conversation Molly.

scotroutes

Anyway – stick it in a cycle jersey pocket.

molgrips
    Free Member

You did start the conversation Molly.

I didn’t start THAT conversation. I asked how people carry stuff. It’s a question about kit.

I didn’t ask ‘do I need to take a phone?’ or ‘tell me how to enjoy my running’ did I?

soobalias
    Free Member

maybe i better get me one of those buddy beacon things.

otherwise how do you carry your phone when you are swimming? At the moment i leave it at the boathouse, but perhaps i should take it just in case.

would the buddy beacon system be ok in water, if i was constantly tracked by it, will my wife find out when im at the pub or shagging her sister? could i get a sub-dermal version?

nickc

We’ve been sort of programmed

My emphasis, I wasn’t having a pop at you princess, I was merely pointing out that phones are ubiquitous and we pick them up and include than in our lives out of habit, I was merely pointing out that in all likelihood you don’t need to, as you asked ” what do YOU do, I thought I’d answer

Hey Ho, I’ll leave you to it

wwaswas

At the moment i leave it at the boathouse

If you can afford a boathouse could you not get your valet to follow you in a launch?

Junkyard
    Free Member

when I run I take a key

Nothing much seems to happen in the full 30 minutes I am out …I have been know to be as much as 1.5 miles away from my home.

No offence molly but just do stuff rather than discuss stuff

FWIW I use one of those runners bags for the road bike – very comfortable and you get plenty in them

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Runners – how do you carry stuff?’ is closed to new replies.