Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Runners: Great North Run..?
  • djglover
    Free Member

Hi

Has anyone here done the great north run in recent years. I have only done much smaller races in the past, but I have trained hard and am looking for a good time, but have heard the start can be horrendous.

How well organised is it these days, how do I ensure the best start?

Ta

chrisa87
    Free Member

I’ve known a couple a people to do it in the last few years, they both said it was a really good atmosphere and well organised. However they have both independently said that it was far too busy to get good times because of the crowds and also ambulances on the course slowed them down.

Swelper
    Free Member

The start like every other BUPA Event is set up in waves. Fastest wave first etc etc. Your application will ask your expected time for the run, this depicts which wave your in. Not sure of the intervals between each wave is though.

No matter what run one enters theres always the same issue when encountering the last runners of the previous wave.

Solution, enter as an Elite

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve done it a few times. Starting is fine, it’s getting out again after you finish that’s a Royal PIA…

nicko74

It’s well organised, and good fun, with locals handing out biscuits and suchlike towards the end.
    Just beware of the last couple of miles. There’s a big hill down to the seafront, and you hoof it down there thinking “wow, this is easy”. Then you realise there’s another mile and half to go and you’ve nothing left in the tank

Swelper
    Free Member

What nicko said. The area referred to is called the Nook. Tree lined too very busy from a spectator point of view. It can get hot in that area too so watch yr pace and fluids. Roundabout the 10 mile mark

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Runners: Great North Run..?’ is closed to new replies.