Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Runners: getting a marathon time down.
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Last year I tried to get to <3hrs, unsuccessfully (though a 3 week training break due to illness ending 3 weeks before the race may have been a primary cause). This was on a 3 solo runs a week, 16 week “FIRST” training programme.

My PB is 3:12, should I be able to achieve <3hrs in this way, or should I join a club if that’s going to help? I’m a bit reluctant/unmotivated to do more than 3 sessions a week – I’d like to keep bike fitness up also.

brooess
    Free Member

Join a club for advice, and speed/track sessions, be prepared to have less riding time and work on core and flexibility
    nb: I am not a coach!

I’m working on a half marathon PB with help from one of our club coaches. I’m going from 2 sessions a week to 3 (4 would be better), with strict instructions re pace for each session, and been warned to expect to ride less if I want to give as much time to running as I need to to get the PB I want

surfer
    Free Member

I’m a bit reluctant/unmotivated to do more than 3 sessions a week

Then you will struggle. Its not impossible as the bulk of the quality work can be done in 3 very hard sessions I just think you may need a bit more and when push comes to shove its not easy to break 3 hrs it needs a bit of effort.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I ran 3:05 last year off 3 sessions a week and 2 bike sessions.

The major lessons learnt was I that I never ran my long runs with marathon pace intervals. I ran a 1*22, 2*20, and 3*18 mile long runs, all of which were quick but consistent paced, what I should have done is include a few 20 minute bursts of marathon pace in them.

It is doable, it takes committmemnt, it does provide you with a surprisingly good cycling base fitness level

chaos

Are you in any way able to factor in a run as part of your commuting, even if only for part of the journey?

Having a bike to work / run back /run in / bike back with the odd train ride thrown in made a huge difference to my times not least in helping with the lack of motivation just going out from home in the evening.

If you drive then for instance you could park up 5 miles away so you have a steady easy session in and a fartlek session on the way back?

jota180
    Free Member
    glasgowdan
    Free Member

You need to do some kind of faster training sessions. Mile intervals faster than race pace. 3-4 mile steady runs faster than race pace etc. You also need longer runs plus hillwork and an easier mid distance run. It’s hard to fit everything in to 3 sessions per week.

It may be possible for you though, it all depends on your own natural ability. Nobody here can say you can or can’t run 3hrs off 3 sessions as we aren’t your coach.

Drac

Run faster.

djglover
    Free Member

Peaked at 55 miles running 5 or 6 days a week for my 2:57. Had been running solidly for 12 months in the run up too.

3 key sessions for me were, medium long run, 10-14 miles 7:30 pace, long run 16 to 21 miles 7:45 pace, tempo / threshold run about 8 miles well under 7 min miles.

I did some of the long runs as progression and did easy shorter runs 8:00 miles to fill the other days, but I feel you get real benefits from these additional easy days…

djglover
    Free Member

Pfitzingers book on marathon training is good.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Don’t forget some non-running focused training. I do a core+ workout, basically pilates (sp?), that takes about 40mins. To me its easily worth a 1.5hr run, and in many respects can be treated as a rest day. Win win.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

That’s 30 seconds per mile you’re trying to take off of your time. Perhaps not running in high heels, ankle length dress, wearing a long wig and carrying a clutch bag might gain you that extra 30 secs/mile.

cynic-al
    Free Member

😎 @ wanman…

Thanks all, food for thought, no easy answer, as ever!

I need to look at my diary, I was doing intervals with 6 minute miles, and mid length runs around 7 IIRC. I think/hope the 3 week break was a factor.

singlespeedstu

Drac – Moderator
    Run faster.

You lazy bastard.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Runners: getting a marathon time down.’ is closed to new replies.