Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Runners: Carrying water
  • mikey74
    Free Member

At what point (meaning length of run) do you start taking water with you? When you do take water, what do you use? A bottle? A Camelbak? Recommendations?

I really don’t fancy carrying a bottle with me so I’d probably err towards a Camelbak-type arrangement myself.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Only for 1+hour runs only, and yes, a camelbak.

Running carrying stuff is a PITA and it makes **** all difference to your performance (and a little to your recovery) for a shorter run.

mogrim

I carry water for runs that last more than 90 minutes or so. I have a waist belt bottle carrier which is good for shorter (<2hr) runs, and a camelbak style thing for longer.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I’ve just started using a bottle (the running ones, with a ‘monkey’ grip.) Holds 500ml, wasn’t an issue at all (carrying it)

I can only imagine running with a camel back would be even worse than using one on a road bike?

mikey74
    Free Member

That sounds about right. I’ve just done a 1.5hr run (20km) and it’s the first time I’ve wished I had a bit of water with me.

I’ve looked at those belts before: Do you notice them much? They look a bit uncomfortable, certainly compared to a Camelbak-type thing.

Edit: I have no problem wearing a Camelbak on the mountain bike.

matt_bl
    Free Member

I only take water for runs over 2hrs, then I use a small (about 1 litre) Decathlon camelback job.

If you ‘bleed’ the air out of the bladder upside down they are actually nicer to use than a bottle in one hand.

Matt

mogrim

I’ve looked at those belts before: Do you notice them much? They look a bit uncomfortable, certainly compared to a Camelbak-type thing.

Depends on the model, I had one (cheap Decathlon) which was awful, another (also Decathlon) that was OK but died, and now have a Salomon belt which is fine. Obviously not as comfortable as running without, but not an issue. And a lot better than running with a bottle in your hand.

The Salomon backpack I have is pretty comfortable too, your back does sweat a bit but it’s not something you particularly notice when you’re running. The new Decathlon running backpacks are getting good reviews, a couple of friends have them and are very pleased with them.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I think the answer is it depends on you. you could say only long runs but when I was running in Cyprus (or UK last summer) in 27 degree heat I’d carry one for short ones too.

I hate carrying a bottle in my hand find it incredibly uncomfortable so you need to find what works for you. I have an ironman running belt which holds three small bottles which is good and doesn’t move about. I also have a camelbak style bag (cheap from Decathlon) for longer runs however the sloshing noise I find quite irritating sometimes. You can train yourself to drink less depending on the circumstances etc.

mogrim

You can train yourself to drink less depending on the circumstances etc.

Up to a certain point – your body does adapt to warm weather – but there are limits.

mikey74
    Free Member

I guess something like this would be OK:

Camelbak Delaney

bikebouy
    Free Member

For trail runs of over 60mins I use a waist belt with either a .5ltr or 1ltr bottle. The belts a good fit, tight and comfortable. It doesn’t “wobble” much for me, in fact once it’s on I don’t really notice it. The bottle is angled at about 30 degrees in the sleeve so easy to reach behind with my right hand and grab the bottle, easy to slip back in too. Also it’s got a small elastic retainer that slips over the nozzle to hold in place when bumpy but invariably I don’t need it.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Up to two hours in training then nothing.

I use a 1liter Camalback for trail races over 20km, depending on race facilities.

I’ve tried good waistbelts but found them to move too much.

cp

Over an hour for me. I use a small 1 litre camelbak type thing for anything more than an hour.

oldboy
    Free Member

Carrying water, what? As a once usefully fast club runner, I can’t believe the nonsense I’ve read here. Trendy joggers, that’s what you all are.

CaptJon
    Free Member

A mate who was training for a marathon left plastic bottles (old coke, 7up etc filled with water) outside his house and did circuits which brought him past every x minutes/hours so he could grab one as and when needed. He’s just dump them in a bin once empty.

matt_bl
    Free Member

oldboy – Member

Carrying water, what? As a once usefully fast club runner, I can’t believe the nonsense I’ve read here. Trendy joggers, that’s what you all are.

You are Alf Tupper and ICMFP.

nickc

mickey74, I’ve got one of those Delanys. They’re comfy, and you can get keys in the wee pouch, the bottle is too big for the holder though, and as it doesn’t have a strap, it gradually bounces out. I use it now only with a smaller 1/2 Lt. bottle which sits deeper in the holder and doesn’t bounce about nearly as much.

mikey74
    Free Member

mickey74, I’ve got one of those Delanys. They’re comfy, and you can get keys in the wee pouch, the bottle is too big for the holder though, and as it doesn’t have a strap, it gradually bounces out. I use it now only with a smaller 1/2 Lt. bottle which sits deeper in the holder and doesn’t bounce about nearly as much.

Good info, cheers. I don’t think I’d need anything more than a 1/2 litre bottle anyway. I do notice that Salomon and Deuter also do similar alternatives so they may be worth checking out.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I found once I CBA carrying water I wulould drink a lot, why not? (It’d usually be energy drink).

As for oldboy, your willy waving response time is a disappointment.

Matt_SS_xc

I have an Inov-8 waist belt which is super solid.
    If over an hour and warm I carry 2 old fruit shoot bottles, nice small size to stop a dry throat!
    Bigger bottle if longer, don’t enjoy the camelbak sloshing around!!

Kuco

Got a Salomon waist belt. Not used it yet as most runs are just under an hour but I couldn’t resist it when it was in a sale for £10.

mikey74
    Free Member

Is that the Race Ultra 1 Matt?

ajc
    Free Member

In summer I take a drink over about 8 miles, but more like 12 in winter. Also depends how hard you are working and amount of hills. I have a waistband with 2 small bottles which I prefer to 1 large one. Not tried running with a camel back although see most long distance runners round here with them. A 50 miler went past my house this weekend. Most with camel backs.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I always take water in varying amounts regardless of the length of run. I sweat a lot and always feel thirsty at the end of my first climb at the start of my route. I only sip at the water but feel better for doing so just get rid ofthe claggy mouth/ throat.
    I started with one of the oval runners bottle but found the spout a pain to use. I now use the Camelbak Quick Grip which uses a Poduim Chill bottle and a bite valve. It felt a bit odd to use to begin with but is so much easier to drink from.

djglover
    Free Member

These are spot on for long runs where you just need to fend off thirst in the last 1/4

Stick it in yer pocket when its gone

thecaptain
    Free Member

Waist pack for me, you just have to find one that fits and doesn’t bounce too much. Only take it for 2h plus runs or very hot days, and can’t remember the last of those! Partly do it for the practice as I need to eat/drink on the move in a marathon. I’m thinking of carrying a small empty bottle if I do another marathon so I can pour a plastic beaker of water in and drink properly rather than spill it all over my face like I usually do.

stever
    Free Member

After about 2h, bit less if it’s hotter. Bumbag with a soft bottle so it crushes down without sloshing. Long day in hills small omm rucsac

tomd
    Free Member

My old man in his marathon days used to swear by a sandwich bag filled with a few hundred ml of water and knot in it. He’d carry it for 45mins / hr the drink it and bin the bag. Just enough to keep the thirst off.

maccyb
    Free Member

Now I’m in the >2hr run range I’ve started carrying a standard bike bottle – doesn’t really bother me in terms of awkwardness but my wife doesn’t like carrying hers (plus I fade before she does, so I can’t carry hers all the way round because she disappears off ahead of me after about an hour, in case anyone suggests that!)

We’re leaning towards belts, but she’s concerned about them rubbing on her hips – any female-specific (for those with narrow waists and significantly wider hips at least) belt designs/brands out there?

mogrim

We’re leaning towards belts, but she’s concerned about them rubbing on her hips – any female-specific (for those with narrow waists and significantly wider hips at least) belt designs/brands out there?

I’m not sure whether that’s really an issue*, most of the material is at the back (above your bum) and not on the hips. That said, Salomon has a variety of models, I’ve got a Sensibelt which has more material on the sides, there’s also the Hydro 45 which has a thinner belt. I’ve not tried this particular model, but I have used belts with this style of strap.

I’ve never had any problems with rubbing, and I’ve used quite a few different models, although I’m not a woman so my experience is obviously not entirely relevant to your wife’s question.

* if your wife says it’s an issue, it’s an issue. I realise this 😉

mikey74
    Free Member

So, the consensus seems to be >2hrs, which I’m not at yet. The main issue yesterday was really just a dry mouth/lips so I can MTFU there, and therefore 2hrs seems about right for me. However, I do hope to increase the times so I’ll look into some water carrying device then.

spacemonkey

In recent years my running sessions are 1:30 to 2:30 and I always carry water in my Camelbak. Carrying something in my hands feels totally wrong – it kind of invades my mind. And belts don’t do it for be either.

mogrim

So, the consensus seems to be >2hrs, which I’m not at yet.

I’d say 1:30 in hot weather. But if you’re already getting thirsty on your runs why not take something anyway? “Back in the day” people didn’t carry water, but then again decent water carrying belts or backpacks weren’t available.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I either buy a bottle of water, and carry it in my hand till its gone down a bit, then shove it in the back of my waist band of my shorts (on longer runs I wear compression shorts under my shorts) then just bin it once I’ve had enough of it.

I also have a Nathan waist pack which I sometimes use.

every method I’ve tried has been a compromise of sorts.

fatmax

Camelbak Delaney for me, and anything over an hour. It’s not bad, doesn’t slow me down anyway and have used it for runs up to 2.5hrs.

molgrips
    Free Member

Trendy joggers, that’s what you all are.

If serious, that is a really shitty nasty post. **** you too.

Nothing constructive to add over the above except that Camelbak do an interesting vest type thing that looks like a lifejacket. Saw one in TK Maxx the other day, forget the name.

brocks
    Free Member

Trendy joggers post so very true

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s wrong with being a trendy joggers?

marcus
    Free Member

I’ve recently switched from a camelback back to a small sports bottle either on a waist belt or small rucksack. – it sounds counter intuitive but I wasn’t drinking enough from a bladder. I’m now making myself stop and drink at regular intervals And bottles are easier and quicker to fill up from streams.

matt_bl
    Free Member

Apparently Steve Way gets his missus to drop bottles off for him in the car.

Another trendy **** jogger!

Matt

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Runners: Carrying water’ is closed to new replies.