Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Runnerists – hamstring twang
  • jsync

I’ve never been a runner but due to time pressures I need a more time efficient form of exercise. I’ve started the couch to 5k program and have just completed week 1. On every run I have had an odd twanging sensation at the back of the knee around the crease, maybe 10 – 15 times. Now, I just get up and go without stretching, is this likely to be the issue? Has anyone else had similar?

Thanks,

surfer
    Free Member

Dont bother with stretching but you do need to warm up before you start to run, just start your runs with a bit of faster walking/very slow jogging to get your muscles warm etc.

lunge

Dont bother with stretching but you do need to warm up before you start to run, just start your runs with a bit of faster walking/very slow jogging to get your muscles warm etc.

This.
    Stretching cold muscles is generally seen as a bad idea. 5 mins of brisk walking or very light jogging before you go is a good idea, generally try and get some heat and blood into the muscles before going for it.
    And as you run more you get used to almost always having a “niggle”, rarely does your body feel perfect, it seems that’s just running.

ads678

I started running a couple of months ago and have been doing really well. I never been someone who trains but I need to at the moment.
    Was doing 5k at least 3 times a week but have just got a bloody calf strain. I’m now just walking hobbling around really pissed off that I can’t run. Really weird feeling as i’ve always hated running!! 😕

Digby

Think of your muscles like a piece of Blu-Tac or similar: If cold the blu-tac will ‘tear’ when pulled, but when warmed up it will become more pliable …

As others have said forget any stretching before running – just start off gently until you are nice and warm.

Do consider some post run stretches/yoga/sports massage etc. Again best performed when warmed up and they can help with niggles/imbalances/injury recovery.

jsync

The plan has a 5 min walk at the beginning and end. I assume I may be starting a little quick then? I run on common land so mud and uneven grass, I guess this isn’t helping my form which may not help – I assume this will get better as time progresses.

Just to add, I do a couple of basic thigh / hamstring / calf stretches that has improved recovery after not doing anything on run 1.

lunge

As I said, you also kind of have to accept niggles as part of running. A number of people, including my physio and some very good and experienced runners have said that if any pain/niggle is between 1 and 5 out of 10 then accept it and keep running, 5-7/10 then slow down but keep going, 8+ then stop.

jsync

^^ haha excellent!

Keva
    Free Member

I followed the rule above about pain levels when I felt a little twinge in my hamstring. I carried on using it but then soon discovered after a week or so it was getting worse and worse until… no sports or anything and then it took about 3months for it to subside. Sometimes a little twinge during exercise can suddenly become something that doesn’t go away very easily at all. just saying.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You are starting to use muscles and ligaments in a totally different way than you’ve been using them whilst cycling.
    Its a well known fact that cycling muscles contract and then form themselves around an efficient push based cycle of rotation. What you are now doing is trying to stretch out those same muscles and ligaments into a different plain, and it will take time to re-train those muscles to accept that you are now using your legs as a stretch, bite, pull, stretch routine instead of contracted rotations.

You will get all sorts of minor injuries as you adapt to running. Your cardio will already be fine for coping with breathing and you’ll feel you can push on because running is really a slow thing to do so you’re brain will be setup to accept cycling speeds and you’ll naturally fall into “oh I can run a bit faster” mentality.. so stop yourself form doing that.

Warm up by walking at a brisk pace for a few hundred Mtrs, then into a light jog for 15-20 mins, then back down to a brisk walk for another 200mtrs and repeat etc. The couch to 5k is designed around people who do not already cycle so they have the benefit of simple training muscles, you have already trained your muscle mass so you have to compensate for a whole new regime.

It took me about 6mths before I could get down to a 7k/40min trail run..

So, I’ll say BACK OFF a bit, don’t get too excited.

surfer
    Free Member

if any pain/niggle is between 1 and 5 out of 10 then accept it and keep running, 5-7/10 then slow down but keep going, 8+ then stop.

Yep and as Big Bren said… You go to bed exhausted and wake up tired 😉

thebees
    Free Member

I warm up by slow jogging then light stretching, bit more jogging, more stretching and incorporate a bit of hill or slope running if possible.I also do some vigorous calf rubbing if it’s cold and they start tightening up.
    Wearing running tights when the temperature drops is a big help.
    After much experimenting this routine makes me almost niggle and injury free. Touch wood.

Duggan

As above really but you say you’re running on grass, tracks and common land- keep doing this. It’s much better than pounding the pavement and it won’t be bad for your form- in fact, quite the opppsite I would say.

jsync

Thanks guys. Going to try to slow down as mentioned my cv is decent enough but my legs can’t keep up. I stupidly pushed on harder today and my knees know about it.

surfer
    Free Member

Running on uneven ground wont be helping, you will be constantly adjusting which will put strain on your hamstrings. its great training ut best avoided until the problem goes away. Running on hard surfaces wont cause problems as such as long as your mileage is quite low.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Also watch out for weak ankles…

brant
    Free Member

https://wordery.com/ready-to-run-kelly-starrett-9781628600094

Seriously. Worth a read. Really helped me get back to running after my career ending hamstring snap in the Dads race at sports day.

I avoid road running at all costs as less than perfect technique can ruin you in short order. Off-road much gentler on joints.

thecaptain
    Free Member

It’s worth developing the art of running gently (but still lightly with decent form). Highish cadence and short strides may help.

surfer
    Free Member

Off-road much gentler on joints.

It would appear intuitive but do you have any evidence?

There is no evidence that I have seen that even high mileage athletes experience anything other than “typical” age related joint deterioration. Its another myth perpetuated by the sedentary.

less than perfect technique can ruin you in short order

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Duggan

It’s too boring to detail the thread with but anyone who spends ten minutes googling “trail running benefits” will see for themselves that the overwhelming weight of opinion is that trail running is much better for you in terms of injury reduction, including the opinion of many professionals.

brant
    Free Member

It would appear intuitive but do you have any evidence?

There is no evidence that I have seen that even high mileage athletes experience anything other than “typical” age related joint deterioration. Its another myth perpetuated by the sedentary.

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

You’re quite right.

I’ll revise my statement.

I avoid road running at all costs as my considerably[/i] less than perfect technique can ruin you[b] me[/b] in short order. I have found[/i] Off-road much gentler on my poorly developed, unwarmed up[/i] joints.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Also, watch the cold wind on exposed skin/joints and feet.. today was bloody freezing and my feet haven’t warmed up yet.. (soggy, squishy forest fun)

Brrr.

surfer
    Free Member

It’s too boring to detail the thread with but anyone who spends ten minutes googling “trail running benefits” will see for themselves that the overwhelming weight of opinion is that trail running is much better for you in terms of injury reduction, including the opinion of many professionals.

You do know the difference between opinion and evidence dont you? Leaving aside “trail” running which can have a number of interpretations and definitions. I am not against it BTW I choose to run off road as much as possible but what I am contending is the assertion that seems to have gained a foothold that running on hard surfaces causes joint problems. Do you have any “evidence” that this is true?
    If not it can be ignored as something that people “think” should be true, unsurprisingly given that hard surfaces are just that, hard! Human joints adapt and actually strengthen to compensate. I can counter your anecdotal evidence with anecdotal evidence of my own. I have ran for 35+ yrs and still do and in that time met a lot of runners who like myself have aged! I dont know a single one that suffers with any joint wear issues other than what you would expect of the population as a whole.

My advice would be: If you can run off road do so, as its more fun but you are probably more likely to injure yourself by slipping or twisting etc. If you do, well tough. If you decide to run on the road then build up gently. You are not likely to grind your joints to pieces as we have become reasonably well adapted and the body is a wonderful thing..
    Oh if you do twist your ankle running off road, you are likely to get over that too!

bikebouy
    Free Member

My mate Jonny is an ultra marathon runner (done across China, the Sahara etc. Etc.) when I started trail running he said, just run on softer trails, not gloopy and not rock hard.. you’ll adapt.. and I did. I do run over to the woods near me on the roads, and over to the parks when in Town, and from carparks to trails and it’s an easy warm up 15mins or so. Can’t say I’ve ever damaged myself on roads, done more damage by careering down muddy slopes into bushes and brambles or on scree.
    I think if you pace yourself and take it easy first off you should be fine.

Duggan

You do know the difference between opinion and evidence dont you? Leaving aside “trail” running which can have a number of interpretations and definitions. I am not against it BTW I choose to run off road as much as possible but what I am contending is the assertion that seems to have gained a foothold that running on hard surfaces causes joint problems. Do you have any “evidence” that this is true?
    If not it can be ignored as something that people “think” should be true, unsurprisingly given that hard surfaces are just that, hard! Human joints adapt and actually strengthen to compensate. I can counter your anecdotal evidence with anecdotal evidence of my own. I have ran for 35+ yrs and still do and in that time met a lot of runners who like myself have aged! I dont know a single one that suffers with any joint wear issues other than what you would expect of the population as a whole.

My advice would be: If you can run off road do so, as its more fun but you are probably more likely to injure yourself by slipping or twisting etc. If you do, well tough. If you decide to run on the road then build up gently. You are not likely to grind your joints to pieces as we have become reasonably well adapted and the body is a wonderful thing..
    Oh if you do twist your ankle running off road, you are likely to get over that too!

Thanks for your condescending reply but you seem to be arguing with yourself. Like I say, I’m sure the OP is capable of googling “trail running benefits” and making up his own mind, if he is indeed bothered.

surfer
    Free Member

but you seem to be arguing with yourself

Nope, challenging you and your statement.

will see for themselves that the overwhelming weight of opinion is that trail running is much better for you in terms of injury reduction, including the opinion of many professionals.

Whatever

Duggan

Pleased to report that my opinion hasn’t changed.

All the Best,
    Duggan

surfer
    Free Member

Good news, as long as you dont try to pass it off as evidence based its all good.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Runnerists – hamstring twang’ is closed to new replies.