Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Runnerists – advice for a newbie please
  • matt_outandabout

Last time I ran was at school…

I am now three weeks into Couch-5k in an attempt to loose some weight and get fitter. 25 years of cycling and paddling mean I have some really tight legs/tendons. I know on long hill days and backpacking trips I get bad knees and shin splints.
    As I am running more this week I can feel tight shins and a dull knee pain. I can also feel that I have done more on road than I planned, due to the mud levels.. Part of me wants to MTFU, however I don’t want to injure myself.

Suggestions for what may help please. Yoga or Pilates type stuff?

Spin
    Free Member

Get a copy of ‘Healthy Running Step by Step’.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Probably not the response you are looking for:

Ride your bike for weight loss, run for whatever reason you like when you are light.
    I really don’t like running as a weight loss mechanism as the extra weight being carried means the knees and ankles get a pounding.

allthegear
    Free Member

Careful now – it’s addictive. I started last year. https://twitter.com/rachel_norfolk/status/816747250638524416

Just got my place on the Cambridge Half Marathon through this afternoon.

Taking of which… https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/rachel-norfolk 😉

Rachel

surfer
    Free Member

I would suggest you simply warm up pre run by starting very slowly, even fast walking etc until your muscles warm up then build your speed up gradually. Even jogging on the spot etc making sure you go through the full range of motion.
    I would say if you are experiencing shin pain that will only go one way and as someone who experienced a number of stress fractures in my early days if its sore now it will only get better with rest/ice/massage/Ibruprofen etc. You cant run through that!
    Most muscular aches and pains you may be able to train through but what you describe sounds like they may get worse and sideline you for weeks or longer. If you are not used to running then I would take a break for a few days.

MSP

I am surprised that couch to 5k would cause you the problems described. What shoes are you wearing? I don’t prescribe to the requirement of needing a “shoe fit” session and mega expensive shoe but I would recommend wearing a proper new(ish) running shoe from a reputable manufacturer (neutral for a starter) 40 quid should be plenty to spend.

Also if it is causing problems, don’t be worried about repeating weeks as you build up and just extend the plan to suit. Don’t just keep building up the workload because the plan says so if you are not adapting as fast as expected.

matt_outandabout

Salomon XA’s, brand new.

I am running as many have suggested it is a better way of loosing weight – and I can fit it in lunchtime at work, especially at this time of year and when I am busy. Come other times I will pedal more.

MSP

I have some salomon xa’s, I don’t like them for running, I find them quite firm, although they are marketed for trail running I think they edge more towards being an approach shoe.

DM52
    Free Member

One of the best things I did when I started running was to go to a sweatshop or similar place where they film your running gait, then purchasing appropriate style of shoe.

Prior to that in a pair of nice off the shelf trainers my legs below the knee would set like concrete for 2 days after only running for 20 mins.

Get on the foam roller to ease out any tension as well.

CraigW
    Free Member

Maybe you are running too fast? Especially if you are fit from other sports.
    Better to start off jogging slowly. Couch to 5k is more about increasing the time you can run for, not necessarily getting faster.

Rockape63
    Free Member

good trainers and Fartleks are the key to what you are trying to achieve.

simon_g

Shorter strides are better for me. It’s tempting to try to emulate the long-striding running you see on TV but upping the tempo and keeping strides shorter is much easier on your legs. Should be landing mid-foot, not on your heels.

johndoh
    Free Member

Agrees with Simon G – when I start running more quickly I have to consciously concentrate on not over extending as I know it does for my knees.

mogrim

I would suggest you simply warm up pre run by starting very slowly, even fast walking etc until your muscles warm up then build your speed up gradually. Even jogging on the spot etc making sure you go through the full range of motion.
    I would say if you are experiencing shin pain that will only go one way and as someone who experienced a number of stress fractures in my early days if its sore now it will only get better with rest/ice/massage/Ibruprofen etc. You cant run through that!
    Most muscular aches and pains you may be able to train through but what you describe sounds like they may get worse and sideline you for weeks or longer. If you are not used to running then I would take a break for a few days.

This.

When you come back to it try and up the cadence, IME plodding along makes things worse. It’ll also stop you overextending.

MSP

One of the best things I did when I started running was to go to a sweatshop or similar place where they film your running gait, then purchasing appropriate style of shoe

I have done that a couple of times (with different shops) and amazingly they always recommended a shoe they have in stock, funny thing is I take size 49/50 so they have very few shoes that would fit me, and when I enquired about other shoes that might be suitable they start trying to direct me to the shoes they do have. You have to always remember that it is a sales platform and their advice can vary hugely. Also as a beginner runner, your gait can change considerably over the first few months as your muscles adapt to the new exercise.

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

I’d have to echo what a couple of others have said about shoes, I am by no means a runner but I tried in trainers but then went to a sweat / runners need / knows what they’re doing type running shop (avoid JJB, Trainers r us types) to get running gait filmed on a running machine and shown to me (was a horrifying experience – how do I still perambulate like that!) but then got some great advice on what shoes to buy.

If you pick a chain store or independent that does price match you can always check prices online in store and show them to make sure you still get the right cost but equally the professional asdvice was free but I personally perceived that as a valuable advice to me as a numpty runner.

James

bikebouy
    Free Member

I only trail run, I use Sal SpeedX3’s because of the grip. I run forests and beaches, bit of hardpack in between, no road at all.

I’d say, start on soft stuff, grass, forest trails, football pitches even. Keep the pace slow and small steps, use the light jog method for another week or so whilst the muscles get used to stretching in different ways.
    The back of the knee and back of the quads will start to hurt soon ( if they haven’t already) so pace off, light jog, build slowly.

Cardio won’t be a problem, mental pace won’t be either, so you’ll find you are running quicker than your current muscle base really wants to run at.

Don’t be afraid to walk. Don’t be afraid to do a couple of smaller mid sprints in either.

Have fun, mud is your friend.

dragon
    Free Member

Stretch, little and often. Cadence advice is good above and that’s where I don’t think Salomon XA’s are particularly good as they are a heavy, stiff-ish shoe. I find a lighter, more dynamic shoe makes it far easier to maintain a decent cadence.

Are you running on or offroad?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Common for cyclist. Limit yourself by what your joints and muscles can do, not by what your lungs can do.

It’s a trap. You’d probably be better off if you had no fitness, then you’d be more self limiting.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Runnerists – advice for a newbie please’ is closed to new replies.