• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mav12.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • run flat tyres
  • mav12
    Free Member

we went to look at a mini at the weekend, newer shape countryman when we test drove it, wasnt the best drive lots of road noise it had runflats ,tested another without runflats world of difference, could have been something else ,anyone any experience of runflats are they generally noisier

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My experience is that they are much noisier and ride quality is poorer. We bot a new BMW earlier this year and I deliberately did not spec run flats. The convenience they offer in the 1 in 20 year occasion of getting a puncture doesn’t outweigh the day to day ear bleeding road noise and poorer ride quality in my opinion.

nickewen
    Free Member

I had some on an ’09 3 series and didn’t think they were too bad. They were 17″ Bridgestone Potenzas. There was a very slight difference in tyre noise between them and the Hankook winters (non run flat) I put on once a year, although the car seemed well insulated and as it was a saloon the cabin was well isolated from the rear axle unlike a hatch. Only real difference was the car handled better on the RFTs as I guess the suspension etc was designed around them. The RFTs did tram line every now and again mind.

lodious
    Free Member

Wife has got them on her car….I think they are OK. I think the ride is slightly harsher than non-run flats, but no so much so that I’d get excited about it.

I know this isn’t a popular opinion, but personally I think they are a good idea and I’d be happy to have them on my car. I’d deffo prefer them to the can of goo I have currently. I believe they have also got better in the last few years, and also suspension is getting better tweaked to handle them.

CaptainSlow

My experience with run flats is also positive. No issues with road noise or ride comfort. The only downside is that they shouldn’t be repaired when you do get a flat.

I’d much rather have run flats than gunk and also prob a spare wheel. Wouldn’t want my wife to feel she needed to pull over and repair/change wheel when out late etc…..

………..Let be honest, I’d not want to do it either 😉

Run flats are great!

/dons tin hat/ 😀

Kryton57

My experience is that they are much noisier and ride quality is poorer. We bot a new BMW earlier this year and I deliberately did not spec run flats. The convenience they offer in the 1 in 20 year occasion of getting a puncture doesn’t outweigh the day to day ear bleeding road noise and poorer ride quality in my opinion.

BMW modified their suspension in 2012/13 to address their issues, maybe a test drive was in order.

Like Captain slow I have run flats (Bridgestone potenza) on M Sport suspension and they are neither noisy nor overly harsh.

It can also be the tyre. On my previous car I went from cheaper tyres to Goodyear Eagles and both the ride and the volume was very very much better in all respects.

alanf
    Free Member

The only downside is that they shouldn’t be repaired when you do get a flat.

It’s not entirely true.
    I think this is mainly due to the tyre manufacturers wanting to sell you a new tyre.
    I had one repaired last year and it’s been fine since.
    It’s dependent on if the tyre has been run on flat for a long distance and damaged the sidewall of the tyre (what is supposed to happen when there is no air in the tyre).
    We spotted ours pretty quickly and probably only did another 4 miles before getting it sorted, so minimal damage done and was a lot cheaper than a new tyre.
    The downside for me is they cost more than an equivalent non run flat to replace.
    EDIT: I don’t think the ride an handling are affected too much and they’ve certainly improved from the first offerings. The car with RFTs is no noisier or harsher than the car without.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I test drove a BM with run flats and they were more harsh than non run flats.

However it is not just the run flat that is the issue.

Run flats tend to come on bigger alloys. Bigger alloys also make a ride more harsh.

I didn’t notice any difference in noise though.

My BM has non run flats and slightly smaller alloys = way comfier ride quality and only very slight compromise in turn in etc.

I do find it odd that people go for M Sport spec etc and then drive like pansy’s or do not realise that they are making the ride more harsh.

Kryton57

I do find it odd that people go for M Sport spec etc and then drive like pansy’s

Some people prefer the looks, but i doesn’t oblige them to drive like a **** either does it?

Although I understand the comment related to bigger wheels and lower profiles tyres, that stands out as an odd thing to say.

craigxxl
    Free Member

The wife has a 120d coupe M-sport. Normal tyres are the 17″ runflats, it’s not harsh or noisy at all. Recently put winter tyres on which are 16″ and not runflats. The car is no quieter with these on but has a more roll and a bit bouncy.
    Her previous car was the Mini Cooper S (R56) and the ride was harsh and noisy with both the summer run flats and winter non-runflats on the same size wheel.

mav12
    Free Member

ok guys thanks for input

Kryton57

Op, I’d be interested in a more in depth opinion of the Countryman other than the wheels/tyres if you have the time?

Sui
    Free Member

Run flats are shitttt, they’ve buckled my alloys (5 series Touring), even BMW said to get rid of them. My summers have come of now and gone in the bin, so come next spring I’ll be getting non rft.

mav12
    Free Member

opinion of the Countryman other than the wheels/tyres if you have the time?

dont really no much about them its my other half who wants one, the build quality seems really good and feel a quality car when driving ,apart from the one we tested at the weekend the only thing i dont like is the radio seems integral so looks like you are stuck with it maybe wrong though, the petrol 1.6 is supposed to return 47mpg combined cant see that for one minute

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘run flat tyres’ is closed to new replies.