• This topic has 73 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Kit.
Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Rum time
  • MrCrushrider
    Free Member

OVD Demerara rum, cheap as chips on amazon and a real beaut

coconut
    Free Member

Any decent low priced rums I can dabble in? Partial to the Aldi Highland Earl over the winter, is their rum any good?

Yes, for a budget dark rum head to Aldi and buy the “Old Hopking”, it’s around £10. Drink straight with 4 small ice cubes, pretty good for the price.

Rum should be neat… not “lovely with coke” 😯 unless I got the wrong coke.

Kit
    Free Member

Rum should be neat…

Depends what the rum is. And you’re ignoring famous rum-based cocktails like mojitos and dacquiris!

jodafett

Rum should be neat…

Depends what the rum is. And you’re ignoring famous rum-based cocktails like mojitos and dacquiris!

But this is a rum thread, not a cocktail one.

Ron Zacapa 23 for me, prefer it to the XO

Kit
    Free Member

But this is a rum thread, not a cocktail one.

Whatever you say, boss!

Xylene
    Free Member

Racist!

funkmasterp

I’m a big fan of Angostura, not sure where it sits on the rum league table, but it’s nice. Once drank some rum with a random bongo player in Leeds city centre. It made my vision go funny. Now that’s proper rum.

DrP

Rum should be neat… not “lovely with coke” unless I got the wrong coke.

Er, I never got that memo…
    I did get the one saying three ice cubes MAXIMUM, however..Shame on you.. 😉

DrP

palmer77
    Free Member

Ice 🙄

Rubber_Buccaneer

coconut – Member
    ….white rum

coconut + white rum = MALIBU

Goes with coke a treat

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I was lucky enough to enjoy a glass of Zacapa XO a few weeks ago and it was one of, if not the most, enjoyable drinking experiences I’ve had.

I was given a bottle following the birth of our daughter. It held up well, until she started to sleep through the night.

coconut
    Free Member

Rum + Coconut = hangover… as proven today.

epicyclo

coconut – Member
    Rum + Coconut = hangover… as proven today.

Yes, guaranteed. My worst hangover ever.

Was out on diving on the Great Barrier Reef on a 25′ Sharkcat and we just made it in time for closing at the pub on Magnetic Island, so we bought 3 bottles of Bundie, went down the beach where I shinned up a tree and got a dozen coconuts (2 each).

We filled them with Bundie, and drank them on the beach and watched the stars. Tasted great. Sang and shouted and fell around until the small hours, but eventually we had to leave to get back to work on the mainland.

However we managed to totally miss Townsville Harbour in a rainstorm on the way back and surfed the boat up on the beach at the esplanade, slept off the rest of night there until the tide came back in and floated us off.

I can still feel the blinding pain of the morning sun that day.

On the other hand, oh to be young and stupid again. 🙂

DrP

^^ reminds me of when I was on a beach in Thailand, drinking ‘too much’ sangsom run cocktails.

I was rather tipsy, stumbled back to teh room, and proceeded to drink gallons of water from the tap.
    I’m not sure if it was the rum, or the rat-carcuss infested water from teh water tower, but I was mucho-puko the next day!

DrP

epicyclo

DrP – Member
    …I’m not sure if it was the rum, or the rat-carcuss infested water from teh water tower, but I was mucho-puko the next day!

I have a theory that rum and coconut juice makes reverse Picolax… 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rubber_Buccaneer – Member

MALIBU

grahamt1980

Have got in stock
    Kraken
    Dead Mans Fingers
    Admiral J original
    and my current favorite Spytail ginger spiced rum

durhambiker
    Free Member

Was presented with a bottle of Bumbu rum in return for standing up in a church and lying in order to become my nephew’s godfather. Just cracked it open tonight to give it a sample, and it’s not too shabby.

coconut
    Free Member

good timing… 😀

Waitrose has on offer “havana club dark rum 7yr old” – £19… dam good, wednesday night session!

Changed my mind on the Aldi one now.. 😉

Kraken… umm.. keep seeing this… but really is it any good ? or is is JD, southern Comfort style ? Just looks a bit rank.

durhambiker
    Free Member

It’s alright, but it’s different… I don’t reach for it often, but I sometimes get the urge.

ste_t
    Free Member

Ron zacapa 23 is always in stock at home. Pricey though, so little and often. Havana especial is great for the price, a step above mount gay eclipse.

If your rum needs a mixer, you should be drinking better rum.

Kit
    Free Member

If your rum needs a mixer, you should be drinking better rum.

Rubbish. Some rums are made for mixing e.g. any white rum!

Tried Kraken, it’s a bit sickly I thought, so didn’t bother with a bottle.

Picked up a bottle of Diplomatico, though. It’s nice. Smells like brandy, tastes like whisky.

wheely
    Free Member

I’ve been off the rum for about a year – since I was racing

Only liked the dark stuff and really didn’t care for the slightly lighter Caribbean stuff. However a mate bought me some Goslings bought over from his brother in Bermuda – & that’s lovely and smooth.

You can buy it over here at a premium.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

white rum

😉

Kit
    Free Member

You mean, not even…?

8)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Delete your account.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Where do we stand on spiced? Had a bottle of Pusser’s spiced at chrimbo and it was nice, if not a little too sweet/cinnamony.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

+1 for Ron Zacappa 23 year old Guatemalan Rum

Stunning.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Only tarts drink any rum other than……

This guy drank it…..

tlr

After a 2 week holiday in St Lucia I decided El Dorado 12yr was my favourite.

It did take quite a bit of sampling to decide though….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bacardi 8 at the moment. Only option at the T5 fLounge*. It’s OK, but a little shallow in flavour.

*daily humblebrag. 😉

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

The one and only Zacapa for me!

Kit
    Free Member

I thought I should post up in here, you might all be interested!

I’m setting up my own rum distillery 🙂

I've just set up my own distillery company!

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Rum time’ is closed to new replies.