Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rule of thumb for chain length….
  • SiB
    Free Member

So long since I fitted a new chain that I’ve forgotten all the rules of thumb! I think one was large ring at front, small at back then add two links…..??

Any others?

Thanks

carlos
    Free Member

Should be – Large at front and large at rear +2 links

SiB
    Free Member

…through the derailleur?

ads678

No.

D0NK

I use big big and 1 link (1 full link being one narrow bit and one wide bit)

mintimperial

I do big-big plus two, to be on the safe side with modern clutch mechs, they seem to get really noisy with short chains. Don’t forget to cycle any suspension through its travel and measure at maximum extension.

jonba
    Free Member

You want it to not snap or damage anything should you use the worst case scenario. So big front, big back through the mech as normal + a link or two for luck.

ThePinkster

Are we talking HT or FS? Those calculations are generally for hardtails.

If it’s FS compress the shock as much as possible while measuring the chain length as that can make a bit of a difference to the length required.

SiB
    Free Member

Thanks for replies, I’m glad I asked!!

Sorry, its for a HT

Is there a rule of thumb that says rear derailleur should be 45degrees when on certain rings..?? I’m sure that’s the one I used last time but cant find anything about it.

Thanks again

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Especially good for the eighties music…

jimmy

Put in small / small and make sure the top jockey wheel doesn’t touch three chain below ( but only just).

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

@jonba…not sure if you meant to write what you did…but your method would leave an unnecessarily long chain…

allan23
    Free Member

Big-Big, through derailleur, when derailleur is at 45 degrees you’ve got the chain at the right length.

Works for me on both FS & HT as long as for FS I remember to let the air out of the shock and fully compress.

There are other ways that are slightly different but probably also work.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i always built my bikes with big/big +2. Just built a FS with the big XT 11spd cassette and my old formula no longer works. : £40 chain cut too short

richardthird

allan23 is correct.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Rule of thumb for chain length….’ is closed to new replies.