Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Rule #30 // No frame-mounted pumps – so recommend me a 140psi pocket pump
  • brooess
    Free Member

As above…
    the tyres on my road bikes go upto 140psi and the only pump I know that will do that is a Topeak Turbo Morph which is strapped to my seat tube…

Anyone know a pocket pump that will do those kind of pressures?

passtherizla
    Free Member

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Birzman-Horizons-Hand-Pumps_51969.htm

I have one of these… its been great.

24cm long, light and goes up to 160psi

depends how big your pockets are though.. 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Lezyne road something or other http://www.lezyne.com/hand-pumps

montylikesbeer
    boxelder

Rule #1// being stranded with flat tyre sucks sump bilge.
    Stick with the big yin (says he who carries a teeny syringe of a pump – that is useless)

Northwind

I’m the worst roadie in Christendom, so I ignore the rules and carry a big honkin framemounted pump- and already 2 roadies have been glad of it, when I came across them trying to reinflate their tyres with pumps the size of my thumb.

So, get whatever stupid little toy is currently cool, and hopefully I’ll ride past when you puncture 😉

druidh
    Free Member

CO2?

JoB
    Free Member

i’ve had a Zefal HPX frame-fit pump on my bike since forever, it always gets handed to people after they’ve been thwapping away on their asthmatic mini-pumps for a few minutes and i’m getting cold and bored – “Do you want to borrow a proper pump?”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have a topeak mini track pump, where are these rules from anyway??

I normally just have CO2 but couldn’t pack that in Air Freight

neilnevill
    Free Member

Blackburn airstik sl. Not good to 140: but does about 90 very well

druidh
    Free Member
    cynic-al
    Free Member

What JoB said…and LOL at 140.

oldgit
    Free Member

**** rule 30 and carry a decent pump. I use a Road Morph, but even that fits in my pocket (even if it as long as my back)
    It’s been used on every occasion a club rider had a puncture, it’s known as the ‘club pump’

Failing that a mini pump and a re-sealable Co2 to top up with.

Never seen a mini pump perform up to 100psi yet.

Whilst on this subject, I think there’s another c*** of a rule about tube lockrings and valve caps. First of all WTF 😯 secondly I suggest at least fitting one lockring to one of your tubes. Other wise you pump is going to be wiggling that valve about until it snaps off. And a cap can hold some air in a terminally damaged tube.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

last time I got beyond 110 there was a loud bang

anc
    Free Member

Lezyne as above, expensive but brilliant. Check out the reviews on cr or evans, very positive.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Frame fit pumps are more acceptable the older the group you ride with

And what old git said about stupid rules … Much like slam that stem

Rules made by ****

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

have we missed the fact the rules are meant to be humorous and send up all the roadie lore, traditions and culture? 🙄

druidh
    Free Member

ctm – I’m afraid that the usual STW sense-of-humour issue has obscured the truth.

FuzzyWuzzy

140psi is way too much unless you’re riding on extremely smooth roads/track. Just because the tyre says it’s 140psi max rated doesn’t mean you should pump it up that much (it will be slower to on UK roads).

njee20
    Free Member

140psi is way too much unless you’re riding on extremely smooth roads/track. Just because the tyre says it’s 140psi max rated doesn’t mean you should pump it up that much (it will be slower to on UK roads).

+1

And CO2.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Was just thinking that. would be like riding with solid tyres.

uwe-r
    Free Member

The best portable pump I have ever had is my current one bought from Tesco. It’s really light and has a nice action, what more do you want. I gave the old expensive topeak one away as its overly small size made it a real pain to use.

PS, I use the track pump at home for any accuracy. This thing just lives in my Bag for trail side duty.

brassneck

have we missed the fact the rules are meant to be humorous and send up all the roadie lore, traditions and culture?

WHAAAAAAAAT??????

brassneck

What really helps pump wise is a jersey with a pump pocket on the back – then you can carry something half decent (Topeak Road Morph for me)in the pocket and it isn’t annoying.

I like frame pumps but it’s always on the wrong bike and I find out 10 miles away, with a puncture.

woody2000

I’ve got one of these – Airwave Motion

Use it for MTB and road, will do 100 psi on a road tyre with no problem. Very slim, but maybe a tad long to go in ajersey pocket TBH.

turtleheading
    Free Member

I have a little pump that work until you cant press the tyre in anymore, not sure what psi it is but it works pretty well.
    140psi is a bit extreme! I normally do mine to 120, im a large rider (81kgs and have been up to 85kg) and never had a problem.
    A mate of mine had a rim warp due due to to much psi so be warned (it was sh*te rim)

D0NK

im a large rider (81kgs and have been up to 85kg)

are you new here?

“Do you want to borrow a proper pump?”

I do the same on xc rides, I’ve got a high volume £5 halfords plastic job been using for 10years 🙂

Only thing I have against frame fit is multiple bikes and chances of getting robbed when I lock my bike up. Lezyne pressure drives are OK.

ourmaninthenorth

I’ve bent a Zefal HPX clean in two. Which was embarrassing as it wasn’t mine. Still got the replacement (size 4 FFS – I’m 5’7″) in my garage.

I used a Lezyne road drive and CO2.

But frame pumps are ace – I know lots of proper riders who use them. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Running clinchers at 140PSI on the other hand….

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’ve got a high volume £5 halfords plastic job been using for 10years

it has lasted do long because no one borrows it 😉

Lezyne mini track oump thingy on the fram

the rules are joking and if i do puncture i want to be able to deal with it easily
    YMMV

pdw
    Free Member

+1 for Lezyne pumps. I’ve got a mini-track pump thing for the MTB which lives in my rucksack, and the smallest road mini-pump which lives in my back pocket on the road bike.

For the road pump, the hose avoids putting strain on the valve when pumping, and it gets the tyre up to a rideable pressure surprisingly quickly. I have my tyres at 110psi, but after a puncture I don’t worry about getting all the way back up to that pressure until I get home and can use a track pump.

I do also carry CO2, but wouldn’t rely on it as my only option.

Sheriff_Fatman

If you have tubes with a removable valve core and are using a Lezyne pump, just make sure that the valve core is done up really tight (and possibly with threadlock), otherwise all your hard work in pumping the tyre up to a nice pressure will be undone when the valve core unscrews as you remove the pump connector.
    Don’t ask me how I know this… 😳

D0NK

Don’t ask me how I know this…

I’ve had this too, think it’s the adaptor/hose thing getting worn and cross threading, got a new adaptor and it’s fine.

pdw
    Free Member

Don’t ask me how I know this…

Oh yeah – good point. Been there, done that. That is the one design flaw with them. I remember getting very pissed off on the side of an Italian mountain discovering that I had no tool that would get a good grip on the valve core.

The road pump I have has a button to release the pressure in the hose, which I think may solve the problem as it means that the air pressure only increases friction in the threads that you don’t want to undo.

oldgit
    Free Member

have we missed the fact the rules are meant to be humorous and send up all the roadie lore, traditions and culture?

Wrong mate, those rules were written by people who really believe in them. I mean really

Junkyard
    Free Member

my lezyne has the button to release pressure and not had an ssue yet but it is only 6 mths old

mattsccm
    Free Member

Plenty will do the job but do you really want 5 pumps for each psi?

swiss01
    Free Member

i have a specialized shock frame pump which has the aded bonus of being able to pump up forks. on group rides (mtb and road) it has been used many times. they change the design tho so, unlike the road morph the handle doesn’t twist out which if you’re old/cold can be annoying.

i carry my pump in one of those bag things that goes on my back along wiht all the other nonsense i carry. i have yet to hear a complaint about this, rules or no….

TiRed

Topeak Pocket Master Blaster. Has been used a few times, and not just by myself. CO2 is fast, but I can’t see the point. Three cartridges or a new pump?

Oh and The Rules are the rules, surely? So you need a silca frame pump

winterfold
    Free Member

140psi ?

winterfold
    Free Member

(Alu Lezyne with the flexi hose only goes up to 9 but it’s enough)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Rule #30 // No frame-mounted pumps – so recommend me a 140psi pocket pump’ is closed to new replies.