Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Ruined tyre?
  • tom199
    Free Member

Had a crash a couple of weeks ago that buckled a front wheel beyond repair. When I transferred that tyre onto a brand new rim the tyre appears to be buckled. It’s a folding tyre so the bead can’t be bent out of shape and it looks even against the rim and seals tubeless absolutely fine. I’ve ridden it a few times to see if would go back to its original shape but it hasn’t.
    So is there anyway to fix it or will riding more on it help? Only 4 rides old so reluctant to bin it unnecessarily

Trimix
    Free Member

How does it appear to be buckled – what does it look like.

Are you sure its seated properly, is it deformed / bulging ??

Id double check its mounted properly, pump it up as hard as it will go (check the sidewall for max) and leave it a while.

Its rubber so should be fine.

steel4real
    Free Member

I ‘distorted’ a rear tyre recently. Maxxis agressor DD, tubeless.
    Somehow (rider error I guess!) it got caught and wedged in between some rocks but it released and I carried on riding.
    At home I thought the wheel had got pushed out of true but it wasn’t (put gauge against rim edge), the tyre had got distorted, even let air out and over inflated but it was the same, and the bead was evenly seated.
    Have carried on riding it and it seems to have settled down now into a slight wobble.
    I have a front Minion Exo on another bike and that’s always had a wobble/kink in it from new – doesn’t affect the ride.

daver27
    Free Member

I’ve done that, basically it tears the carcass of the tyre in several places but the rubber holds it together, Tyre is scrap.

ignore the comment about it just being rubber above, a tyre is a lot more than that!!

Trimix
    Free Member

Oh yes, I suppose if you damage the carcass you have buggered it. Turn it into a chain stay protector instead.

tom199
    Free Member

Sounds like I’m not the only one for this to happen to.
    There’s no visible damage to the tyre and no bulge its as if the whole tyre is out of shape, enough to feel the wobble when your going fast down a smooth bit of tarmac.
    Looks like I’ll have to bite the bullet and replace it. 4 rides out of a £40 tyre isn’t great value for money!

JackHammer

Done this to a maxxis HR2, annoying! Replacing the tyre is the only way to fix it. The amarid/kevlar carcass has torn and caused a bulge, but the rubber is holding it together for now. It’ll eventually fail and leave you stranded/covered in sealant.

Mine wept from the affected area as the sealant attempt to reseal it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Ruined tyre?’ is closed to new replies.