• This topic has 9 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nawmi-spam.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rugged iPhone / smartphone cases – options?
  • kcal

Currently got an iPhone 4S, its in an Otterbox Commuter case. Gives gives good protection, however the sound quality is awful on calls – until I put on speaker. Screen protector is a simple sticky film.

Are there others out there that give a good balance of protection and usability – e.g. LifeProof. Audio seems to be a prevalent problem. It’s just for light protection when outdoors though I tend to put it in a poly bag as well.

zilog6128

Lifeproof are the best IMO. Not noticed audio being a problem although I suppose it’s inevitable the sound will be muffled to some extent. You wouldn’t need a polybag as it’s fully waterproof! Just make sure you don’t get a fake one.

mattbee

Had Lofeproof for my 4s and now on my 5s.
    No problems with sound quality at all.
    The current one has survived a 30degree wash too…

4130s0ul
    Free Member

I can recommend Spigen, they do a great range of cases from a simple rubber “bumper” surround to a full blown tank buster armoured casing.
    I have the Neo Hybrid which has a rubberised surround with a faux metal band keeping it in place, it keeps the shape of the original phone but has also proven itself after a drop to the floor. obviously this would not protect smashing against the corner of a desk or something but is still adequate for most knocks / drops

smatkins1
    Free Member

I use a lifeproof one for my 6 for when I’m on the bike. I dropped mine through the gap in picnic table onto a concrete floor and it survived. I’ve also fallen off with it in my pocket plenty of times and it’s been ok. The case passed the submerge in water test as well so I’m happy to not worry about riding in the rain with my phone or falling into a puddle. I wouldn’t want to (and don’t) use the case for day-to-day use though, quite bulky.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Lifeproof. Had mine down to 5m and worked a treat.

Just be wary of fakes so buy direct from Lifeproof if over tinterweb.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yep with them all beware- my dad got stung with a fake otterbox – it was terrible quality – sent straight back.

I had good success with the griffin defender – not waterproof but robust for drops and a propper integrated screen protector.

luket

The Lifeproof Nuud on my iPhone 5s is a balance of fairly rugged without being massive. It’s getting quite worn after a year, with the rubber wearing down and a fairly inconsequential crack but that’s not a great surprise since I’ve made good use of it.

Disadvantages are that the sound is certainly affected and the fingerprint recognition thing is also compromised. It works, it just stops working every now and then and needs cleaning out. It doesn’t cover the screen but that keeps the screen fully useable and you can always use a film. I also think photo clarity is affected but a clean might fix that.

BadlyWiredDog

The genuine Lifeproof one is brilliant, but they no longer list the iPhone 4S version on their site and while there’s loads of them on eBay, you have to think that virtually all of them are fake. All of which I know because I’m looking for a replacement for mine which is slightly battered after around three years of hammer 😕

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Whatever yiu decide on both Otterbox and Spigen charge you before sending and then do not botger sending followed up by emails stating sent from Europe so please be patient.

Nahhhh I’ve waited 3 1/2 weeks sod that give me my money back.

Otterbox were shocking to say the least as they would not refund on that basis so when it turned up out of the blue, I decided to try it and yeah not bad product.

I would go Griffin all the way as long as they have sorted out their mic cover voice calling issues.

Spigen were just cheap tat looking but wanted a charging case just to see how good it might be.
    They failed which was ironic as they would have had my custom due to those shisters Otterbox!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rugged iPhone / smartphone cases – options?’ is closed to new replies.