Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 4,076 total)
  • Rugby Thread 2017/18.
  • wrecker
    Free Member

duckman

Their problems can’t all be laid at the feet of the misguided quota system though, they were actually in the game until NZ scored their second try. The same thing also happens in NZ and has for years,yet they seem to be able to cope; Remember Stephen Donald got a WC winners medal while Nick Evans was at Quins jumping up and down and shouting “pick me!” I wonder if it is a wider reflection of how young talented people in SA see their future prospects?

anagallis_arvensis

I am sure AA will be even handed in condemning the ref in the Cardiff/Glasgow game

I didnt think the ref was paticularly biased just usual pro14 shit. His lack of decision making with scrums was a particular highlight as was the “breakdown”. But how all the team could miss some of those knock ons was just bizare.
    Big miss from McShingler at the end. Blues battled hard and missing all those players out injured doesnt help. Was nice to see Cuthbert actually powering into contact and throwing his weight around in defence maybe he’ll come good again.
    Glasgows try was a cracker Fin Russel is great on the front foot but does need to play % sometimes, tries too hard on occasion.

anagallis_arvensis

They are reaping what they have sewn

Dont get this, they are being negatively impacted by the money in France and England surely? Never been a bok fan but this gives me no joy.

duckman

I thought the missed kick was karma after the Blues not going down to 14 a couple of mins earlier!

anagallis_arvensis

What was that for I have to admit I was only half watching on my phone.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@aa I think previously talented players stayed for the honour (and money) of playing for the ‘boks. I met Neil McDonald in ’85 at Uni and he was offered a “job” to stay in UK but was determined to go back and play for SA. Now I think he’d stay. With the selection system and admin above they are saying no thanks. Its been going on in business for many years with the way contracts are awarded, some of my best colleagues came to the uk that way.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I wonder if it is a wider reflection of how young talented people in SA see their future prospects

Indeed but add in the word “white”.

Young players in NZ grow up with hope that they’ll pull on the black jersey one day.

A lot if young white South Africans don’t nurture similar dreams and look at the fairer systems elsewhere.

Nobody in their right mind could ever argue that apartheid wasn’t evil but that’s 25yrs ago now. Transformation is still unfair.

Sure, the Boks were in the game and the ABs were sublime and the difference isn’t as great as the scoreline suggests – but rugby needs a strong Springbok side. Currently it doesn’t have one.

anagallis_arvensis

The money in europe will mean that soon only nz will have strong domestic sides

mefty
    Free Member

An SA friend, whose brother is well connected with SA Rugby, told me there are more than 250 professional SA rugby players plying their trade outside SA now. Rugby is still important there, Schools rugby is still ridiculously serious (an area Australia is struggling with I understand).

I met Neil McDonald in ’85

A very different time, pre-professionalism and the old regime was still in power. Big bugger though, difficult to get the ball off.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

What was the Boks record coming into the match?

Went to bed after first half. SA in the match for first 10, then a sublime example of ABs ruthlessly punishing mistakes and executing brilliantly – with some artistry from Barrat.

AB were brilliant in finishing but score slightly flattered. To justify headlines I am guessing BOks capitulated in 2H?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

To justify headlines I am guessing BOks capitulated in 2H?

Not really, they kept struggling manfully and didn’t lay down. Unlike, say, the French did in the RWC.

250 players overseas? I’d read 350 in one article but, either way, it’s a lot.

A young Kevin Pietersen was once excluded from the Natal side in favour of a black player so he came to play cricket in England. How many rugby players will do the same?

tjagain

Glasgows try was a cracker Fin Russel is great on the front foot but does need to play % sometimes, tries too hard on occasion.

Indeed. How many crap gubbers did he put in giving the ball away. Much more professional from the tee. Well below par overall tho. Stilllooks rusty.

I didnt think the ref was paticularly biased just usual pro14 shit. His lack of decision making with scrums was a particular highlight as was the “breakdown”. But how all the team could miss some of those knock ons was just bizare.

– Yup – a load of missed knock ons both ways. Blues where playing for penalties at the scrum a tactic I hate but the ref gave some and didn’t give some. At least one scrum pen was the wrong way tho. Still – dodgy pen on 78 mins got a dodgy kick so that at least was poetic justice.

Glasgow gave 23 turnovers – you can’t do that and expect to win too many games.

Nice to see the Weegie from Fiji back and looking lively. Defences seem afraid to get near him sometimes. Boy is he fast

Far too little control from Glasgow. Yes its nice to play high tempo and to run it out from your own 22 – but sometimes it needs to be slowed down and sometimes the clearance kick is worth doing.

Glasgow need to play a bit more basic and controlled game.

Blues lucky to keep 15 on the pitch I thought – punches thrown, high tackles, some cynical play. cuthbert could easily have had two yellows on another day. Somone rattled his cage. Zander could have been carded as well.

Not a great game.

anagallis_arvensis

Blues lucky to keep 15 on the pitch I thought – punches thrown, high tackles, some cynical play. cuthbert could easily have had two yellows on another day.

Most of the niggle seemed to come from Glasgow taking players out when well beyond the ruck, both Williams and Cuthbert had words with players doing it

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Joe Marler.

What a monumental ****.

tallie
    Free Member

A bit of niggle / handbags in the Quins Wasps game between Marler and Haskell leading to a yellow for Haskell – all a bit embarrassing really.

Good game so far otherwise…

tjagain

I did say Zander could have been carded as well. also don’t a lot of teams try to wind opponents up into losing their temper? I thought he had got his niggle under control but maybe not. Just because he is an actual choirboy and a national champ on a mountainbike he really does not need to prove he is a WWF champ as well.

Ref should have had much better control of this whole thing.

Pigface
    Free Member

That Marler Haskell thing is hysterical and tragic all at once.

tallie
    Free Member

Pigface – Member
    That Marler Haskell thing is hysterical and tragic all at once.

Agreed – makes me a little nostalgic for the bad old days; you can’t imagine the same scenario between Dallagio and Leonard…

mefty
    Free Member

250 players overseas? I’d read 350 in one article but, either way, it’s a lot.

I couldn’t recall the precise number so erred on the side of caution. I presume that this is guys with full time contracts, rather than guys like my niece’s boyfriend who are paid to play.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Was at the Wasps Quinns game yesterday – I thought Wasps looked a bit flat really. The big names and internationals didn’t really seem to rally people or do much.

Haskell and Marler were silly and a bot childish really. Marcus Smith looks like he could become a very good player one day; its nuts to think that he sat his A Levels a few months ago.

Kryton57

Oh dear SOB

Probably easy to be that outspoken if you aren’t in the welsh squad, but the content probably isn’t much of a surprise. Lions coaching themselves eh…

jonnyboi

Wales would be better in attack without Howley doing the coaching, to be fair.

anagallis_arvensis

Howley being shit isnt really news ( although he coached Wales to a win over Schmidts Ireland) but SOB should keep his gob shut really. Also he’s making himself look a bit stupid as The Lions were a red card and a dodgy ref decision away from being white washed so trying to make out the coaches were the issue rather than shoulder some blame for the NZ players being, you know, much better is daft.

anagallis_arvensis

Ospreys being spanked by Treviso
    Cheetahs 31-5 up v Leinster!!!

Twodogs

Yeah…carrying on as at the end of last season

Twodogs

Treviso deserve that win….Ospreys seem bereft of ideas

anagallis_arvensis

Ospreys are simply shit!!

Twodogs

That too…I’m going to see them play Scarlets in 2 weeks. I might take a book to read.

Wonder if they’re regretting giving Tandy a multi-year extension?!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Twodogs – Member
    Treviso deserve that win….Ospreys seem bereft of ideas

Glad I wasn’t able to watch it, then!

jambalaya
    Free Member

No comment on the England training squad ? I wonder what JJ has done to be dropped, England regular to Lion to nowt in a few months.

No comment on the SOB comments, I am no Galtland fan but the critism was pretty full on. Can’t understad all the Howley hate either

duckman

Glasgow set down a marker tonight, still missing Brown, Gray, Seymour and Hogg.

Pigface
    Free Member

Ospreys are simply shit!!

People calling for Tandy to go, awful result.

anagallis_arvensis

Can’t understad all the Howley hate either

I can, but I do think SOB is showing a distinct lack of class and doesnt seem to grasp that The All Blacks were much better on a player v player basis.

anagallis_arvensis

Meanwhile

“People ask how you feel about the drawn series and I think we held our own down there. We were unbelievably well prepared when we landed, and whatever we were hit with we were able to throw it back at them. We ticked off everything and we did unbelievably well.

Pigface
    Free Member

really?

Twodogs

“Hate” is a bit strong, but as a backs coach, or head coach …..no. Wales will have to find someone better once Gatland leaves….

duckman

Teachers pet promoted beyond his abilities? He was a cracking player too,unfortunately people are starting to remember his coaching more.

anagallis_arvensis

Howley maybe not great but Lions players who bleat about coaches lose some respect IMO. Healey, Charvis, SOB. At least Healey had the balls to do it mid tour, SOB waited until he was well out of Gatlands range. By all means back yourself and say you think we should of won but dont criticise other players or coaches especially as Howley was about the only coach available who would do it he was hardly first choice.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 4,076 total)

The topic ‘Rugby Thread 2017/18.’ is closed to new replies.