Viewing 40 posts - 3,441 through 3,480 (of 6,096 total)
  • Rugby thread 2016/2017
  • dantsw13

I’ve learned that it doesn’t matter how England play – we will get slagged off.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Missed the games today. Just sitting down to breakfast. Should I bother with the highlights or just read the stupid bickering on here instead?

dantsw13

3 great games this weekend, all very different.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Watched the important one last On Friday night, Dan

(Ninja edit!)

dantsw13

Sorry Flashy – some of us wanted to talk rugby.

dantsw13

And a cracker it was too!! If Henshaw hadn’t taken flanker lessons from Jonny May, Bests try would have stood and it could have been very different!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀

Did seem to be getting a bit silly above!

Re Henshaw, one comment I saw (I forget who!) simply said, “and that’s why backs shouldn’t be involved in mauls”

Will find some highlights of the Saturday game after my next flight. (Shiny new 350)

mefty
    Free Member

Henshaw shouldn’t be castigated – Hartley did the same here but the try was given – it often happens but isn’t penalised – took two videos to find an example.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMmXSIMMsE4[/video]

gordimhor

England played well in attack today and were worth every one of the points they scored. A thoroughly deserved victory.
    If there is any downside at all it may have been in conceding 3 tries .

mrlebowski
    Free Member

It’s in response to stupidity and fckwittery.

🙂

You really are grasping at straws..

Also, you do realise it’s possible to be a bad loser?

Scotland came up short & to say that the result was all down to JJ really is blinkered & weak beyond belief.

dantsw13

Mefty – POC said on commentary that if Henshaw had put his arm around Best if would hzbd been legal. That’s what Hartley does in your clip. Henshaw came from loose, drove into the man ahead of the bell carrier. Different IMHO.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Drink plenty of water Capn S

Hope the head is ok in the morning

jonnyboi

Scotland will be annoyed at themselves, ok they lost very good players early on but some of their decision making was suicidal.

Credit to England though, they started well and played a ruthless game, they are deservedly the form side in rugby at the moment. Probably a more complete team than 2003 as well

anagallis_arvensis

No one Got Courtney Lawes for the Lions ? am i missing something ?

I think Launcbury has been the stand out lock and the Lions have better options at Flanker than England so Itoje plays 5.

THM…did TomB miss out the two players who DOMINATED yesterdays game too or just one? Or would answering a question with a straight answer cause you to turn into a pumpkin?

Lions:

Hogg
    Nowell
    JJ
    Farrell
    North
    Sexton
    Murray
    Billy
    Hovis
    O’Stander
    Itoje
    Launchbury
    Furlong
    George/Best
    Mako

Could agree with it myself apart from 2. George hasnt started an international against anyone good has he?

onehundredthidiot

Scotland played to form. Have a few good performances, get carried away, then instead of playing to our strengths we try to go toe to toe and get suckered into playing to the oppositions strengths. Injury list and lack of depth hurt us and our foreign imports just aren’t as good.

Was farrell s injury a clever way to shift focus to allow ford to settle into the game.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

AA – you know the answer in the same we know what you were doing with the original list. Amusingly transparent.

Since non of the “captains” have played themselves firmly into the Lions 1XV (one of) your “ommisssion(s)” could well fill that role even. We shall see.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Drink plenty of water Capn S

Why?

Also, you do realise it’s possible to be a bad loser?

I.m fully aware of this, fortunately I heven’t lost anything. 😛 Interestingly… Ah bollox, I can’t be arse, time for a nice long bike ride. Coming THM, you have got a bike, haven’t you?

anagallis_arvensis

AA – you know the answer in the same we know what you were doing with the original list. Amusingly transparent.

Since non of the “captains” have played themselves firmly into the Lions 1XV (one of) your “ommisssion(s)” could well fill that role even. We shall see.

I honestly dont..always funny to see you fail to answer questions though…I presumed one was Faz and reading that the other is Hartley. Fair picks concerned about Hartleys fitness doesnt seen to last more than 50mins we will need a captain on the pitch.
    Farrel and Sexton will need to be tried together. Never seen Sexton play with an extra playmaker before. I’d also like a look at Faz at 10..
    Few players in Lions contention who are playing out of position for their country who could shift back for Lions
    Warburton
    Faz
    Itoje

I would also argue the guy who captained the last winning Lions tour has played his way into contention and seems the obvious choice.

duckman

I’m just glad England can play in a important game and not have to blame the ref/ their skippers decision making for it not panning out as they feel it should. To me that is a measure if how far they have come.

igm

dantsw13 – Member
    IGM – England have been missing a lot of top players this season, but the next cabs off the rank have more than filled the gaps. Squad strength is everything and sadly, Scotland just don’t have the depth of quality. In a 6N or WC that will always bite you at some point.

Agreed. If only, but such is life.

Apparently there are 38.5k registered players in Scotland.
    And almost 2m in England (around 50 times as many).

Numbers isn’t everything (there are 66k players in Italy), but strength in depth is going to be a problem.

duckman

As expected England blew us away and I would like to be the first to say i’m glad England can play in a important game and not have to blame the ref/ their skippers decision making for it not panning out as they feel it should. To me that is a measure of how far they have come.

Pigface
    Free Member

This world record thing, who had faced the tougher opponents?

piemonster

DezB
    Free Member

Mefty’s clip: Hartley should’ve been penalised for a different offence to Henshaw…
    (c)
    Placing a hand on another player in the maul does not constitute binding.

dantsw13

Does anybody have the list of who NZ beat on their run?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Lions XXIII

Hogg
    Watson
    Joseph
    Farrell
    North
    Ford
    Youngs
    Vunipola B
    Warburton
    Robshaw
    Itoje
    Launchbury(c)
    Cole
    Hartley
    Marler

Vunipola M
    Furlong
    George
    Lawes
    Stander
    Care
    Sexton
    Daly

More chance of winning than any hotch-potch XV of players who’ve hardly played together.

dantsw13

Right so NZ beat:
    Aus, Arg Nam Geo Ton Fra SA Aus Wal Wal Wal Aus Aus Arg SA Arg SA Aus.

Eng beat:
    Ura Sco Ita Ire Wal Fra Wal Aus Aus Aus SA FiJ Arg Aus Fra Wal Ita Sco.

NZ run included winning WC & RC consecutively with a home series against Wales.
    Englands back to back 6N, sandwiching 3 away wins in Aus and a SH Autumn International series

dantsw13

Right so NZ beat:
    Aus, Arg Nam Geo Ton Fra SA Aus Wal Wal Wal Aus Aus Arg SA Arg SA Aus.

Eng beat:
    Ura Sco Ita Ire Wal Fra Wal Aus Aus Aus SA FiJ Arg Aus Fra Wal Ita Sco.

NZ run included winning WC & RC consecutively with a home series against Wales.
    Englands back to back 6N, sandwiching 3 away wins in Aus and a SH Autumn International series

anagallis_arvensis

Singletrack Mountain Bike Magazine
    search
    Advertisement

Chat Forum

Rugby thread 2016/2017
    3468 posts & 118 voices | Started 7 months ago by Pigface | Latest reply from dantsw13
    This topic is one of your favorites [×]
    Tags:No tags yet.
    Pages:
    « Previous

Advertisement

namastebuzz – Member
    Lions XXIII

Hogg
    Watson
    JJ
    Farrell
    North
    Ford
    Youngs
    Vunipola B
    Warburton
    Robshaw
    Itoje
    Launchbury
    Cole
    Hartley
    Marler

Vunipola M
    Furlong
    George
    Lawes
    Stander
    Care
    Sexton
    Daly

As a unit I think the Irish front row offers more, Sexton is head and shoulders best 10. 9’s I dont agree with Murray and Webb are better also cant see Robshaw going without injuries to others.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I agree the individuals you mention might be better players but the team I’ve picked is greater.

The Irish front 3 might offer slightly more but the English tight 5 as a unit is more impressive. Besides, that lineout isn’t gonna lose any of their own ball.

Maybe Itoje or Haskell at 6 with Lawes at 5 and Kruis on the bench?

Not been convinced by Stander in his performances against Scotland/Wales. Still, maybe Ireland will turn England over and I’ll have egg on my face in a week’s time.

anagallis_arvensis

Maybe Itoje or Haskell at 6 with Lawes at 5 and Kruis on the bench?

How about Dayglo, Back and Wilkinson too??!!!??

dantsw13

The difficulty in this Lions team is going to finding the balance. You won’t beat NZ purely with flair, you have to stop them too, whilst still playing attacking rugby, which is why a player like Robshaw will be there or there about.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

How about Dayglo, Back and Wilkinson too??!!!??

Now ya talkin’! With Sir Clive (Gawd bless ‘im) as coach too….

Joking aside though – who would have more chance of winning a test series in NZ this summer. England or the Lions?

My answer would be England. Even if that chance is a very slim one.

Surely England plus a cherry picking of class players from the other teams in the positions they’re weakest in would present the best chance?

I might have Loopy Liam at fullback though……

igm

dantsw13 – you couldn’t add up the world rankings of each of those teams at the time they lost to NZ / England?
    I think that would help.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Obviously NZ’s run was against better opponents but 18 is a good number either way.

Pigface
    Free Member

Now ya talkin’! With Sir Clive (Gawd bless ‘im) as coach too….

with his record as Lions coach no point in even getting on the plane 😆

a series victory against Australia has to count for a lot. Think NZ just shade it.

Kryton57

What Namabiaj, Georgia and Tonga? With exception of Uraguary England’s overall average component looks higher.

anagallis_arvensis

You won’t beat NZ purely with flair

Indeed, if the Lions try to out run NZ it will get messy. With the massive number of quality piano shifters our best hope is to pummel them upfront and play fast accurate ball in the backs..like England played but with bells on.

Honestly cant see what Robshaw adds that Warburton is currently not doing, apart from being much less likely to get injured which given that he is currently injured is a mute point at the moment.

wrecker
    Free Member

Hogg
    L Williams
    Joseph
    Farrell
    North
    Biggar
    Murray
    Vunipola B
    Tipuric
    Stander
    Itoje
    Launchbury
    Cole
    Hartley/Best
    Furlong

Vunipola M
    Fagerson
    Hartley/Best
    Lawes
    Robshaw
    Care
    Ford
    Daly

anagallis_arvensis

Not been convinced by Stander in his performances against Scotland/Wales

Fair enough but then the Welsh backrow outplayed the Irish and certainly stood toe to toe with the English despite playing behind a much weaker front 5.
    Webb would also look world class behind the English pack.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,441 through 3,480 (of 6,096 total)

The topic ‘Rugby thread 2016/2017’ is closed to new replies.