Viewing 40 posts - 5,161 through 5,200 (of 6,096 total)
  • Rugby thread 2016/2017
  • tjagain

Gauss – a complex series of factors including gatlands dislike of the scots led to few of them being in the lions. However when Scotland humped Wales and are 5th in the world yet they only get two players in the Squad compared to is it 12 Welshmen something clearly is wrong

I don’t know a huge amount about rugby really as I am sure AA will tell you 😉

AA – interesting – only repeating what I saw in another place 😳

gauss1777
    Free Member

gatlands (sic) dislike of the scots

Has he ever admitted to this? or is that your perception?
    The way I see it is, that he has taken the best players he can, but if there is little between them he has gone for the player whose skills he knows best. This seems sensible to me, but I know little about sport and even less about coaching.

igm

The reality is that the Scots play a fantastic game, but while it’s not exactly complex, it relies on players understanding how each of their fellows play. And when it goes wrong, it’s spectacular – see Twickenham.

I don’t think that works for a Lions squad. You need a simple game plan that everyone can get their heads round quickly (you don’t have the months and perhaps years to build anything else) and while brilliant individual skill in say running or sidestepping is fantastic, throughing hair’s breadth flat passes at no 10 is just asking for trouble if the centres or approaching winger or flanker isn’t very used to the delivery.

I’m Scots and I suspect big pack up front and warrenball behind (much as it bores me) is probably the right option.

tjagain

Gauss – thats one of the factors along with no scottish coach and Gatlands dislike of the scots is obvious

gauss1777
    Free Member

Gatlands dislike of the scots is obvious

It’s not obvious to me. What could be the possible reason for this?

gauss1777
    Free Member

Ps it still seems more likely you are wrong.

tjagain

I don’t know why but its obvious from his selections over the two tours that he will only select Scots if he has no choice – see the last tour not playing Hogg but playing 1/2p instead

gauss1777
    Free Member

You should ask him why. Halfpenny is probably the best kicker is he not? It must be worth consideration having a player who can score penalties and conversions from almost anywhere.

tjagain

Anyway – we beat Aus in Aus. Makes it a great day in my book 🙂

gauss1777
    Free Member

Indeed!

anagallis_arvensis

see the last tour not playing Hogg but playing 1/2p instead

So last time he should have picked Hogg rather than the BIL player of the series? Brave call or one eyed bobbins?
    Jesus even the Irish have stopped complaining about him dropping BOD
    😆

tjagain

Hogg is a much better player than 1/2p especially if you want to attack and score tries.

anagallis_arvensis

“Hogg is a much better player than 1/2p especially if you want to attack and score tries.”
    True, but saying it was the case 4 years ago and the BIL player of the series was only picked because Gatland hates the Scots is, well bobbins

tjagain

It was also true 4 years ago. Most neutrals would agree.

anagallis_arvensis

AA – interesting – only repeating what I saw in another place

Watson didnt play in all the games though.
    Intrestingly Tipuric won the most lineouts!

anagallis_arvensis

” It was also true 4 years ago. Most neutrals would agree.”

Really so I’ll repeat for clarity you think picking the guy who was the man of the series and voted player of the tournament in the previous six nations was a mistake by Gatland because he hates the scots?
    Lol, you couldnt make it up!

tjagain

No – I think it was a conservative choice by a conservative selector who wanted 1/2p in for his kicking. He does not like taking chances but no risk no reward – which is why the lions are going to be roundly stuffed

Man of the series – how many tries did he score?

tjagain

Hogg 53 caps 16 tries

Halfpenny 74 caps 12 tries

tjagain

An yway — lets stop bickering. Neither is going to change their mind are we and its stinking up the thread but if you think Gatland selects on merit then why are there so many welsh players and so few scots when Scotland are clearly the better team?

anagallis_arvensis

“He does not like taking chances but no risk no reward”

Lions series win and two grandslams. How many grandslams have scotland won recently?

Tom-B
    Free Member

You managed to call for a halt to the agruing, then proceed to carry arguing all in two sentences there TJ 😯 It’s a rare gift you have 😆

tjagain

I’m a genius smartarse idiot 😉

anagallis_arvensis

Gatland selects on merit then why are there so many welsh players and so few scots when Scotland are clearly the better team?

Because some of the welsh players are better and some of them are very experienced player, some of the other welsh players are shit and we have no strength in depth, also we have our few quality players spread across europe or spread over 4 shit pro12 teams rather than Scotland being Glasgow dominated. So on balance Scotland are the better team but Wales have a few quality players who have been there and done it.
    Although I do prefer the he hates the scots idea!!!

I’m glad that Hogg (hope he heals well and soon) got broke you’d have burst a artery had he picked 1/2p anyway!!

Pigface
    Free Member

Maybe because Hogg was doing things like this, 1/2p wasn’t going to be a liability

[video]https://youtu.be/ImYlu7THs9o[/video]

anagallis_arvensis

Hogg 53 caps 16 tries

Halfpenny 74 caps 12 tries

Considering Hogg plays for a much much better team and a team that plays wonderous attacking rugby whilst 1/2p plays for Wales who are shit and he only gets passed the ball at pen time to take the kicks he is doing pretty well!!

tjagain

Ruddy irish maiming our player. We would have wrapped him in cotton wool and covered him in rose petals. Instead Murray elbows him out of the lions so his mate gets a game. Its a conspiracy I tell you 😉

I do think you misread me a bit. I ain’t angry at all. Just saddened to see the lions diminished and astonished and amused at the defence of Gatland

anagallis_arvensis

No I havent misread you you said 1/2p shouldnt have been picked for the last lions test series!
    I’m not defending Gatland I’m calling you out on talking shit.
    No doubt when the far superior All Blacks tram beat the Lions you will see this as vindication of Gatland a double grand slam winning and lions series winning coach as being shit like you are some sort of Scottish Mystic Meg.
    No doubt there are better coaches than Gatland but none of them wanted/could take the gig so lets just try and suppoet them and have some fun and if cant manage that maybe dont talk about the Lions.

Worst lion ever!

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy-uZ16cniA[/video]

tjagain

Last one – just how well have Wales done under Gatland the last few years? Dropping down the rankings and getting humped by scotland. How you can think 12 welsh is justified on form while only 2 scots get in is beyond me.

dantsw13

I agree AA – I love the fact that come Lions time enemies become friends. I feel when it’s Aus or SA we get more up for it, as we see ourselves having a realistic chance, whereas the AB are just too strong.

Maybe if the tour timing was different, with longer build up and more player rest, but as of now the season is getting silly.

dantsw13

As for the player call-up farce, there’s 2 distinct parts to it IMHO.

We need bench cover for Tuesday to rest players prior to the 1st test. Fine – bring in some Welsh/Scots from nearby at short notice for 1 game.

However, there’s still 5 games left on tour. Moriaty and Hogg have gone home, so the best possible replacements should be on the tour full time, not just the closest. We need some proper FBs, so Kearney/Brown/Goode should be joining. Same for either Heaslip/Robshaw/Hughes.

anagallis_arvensis

” We need some proper FBs, so Kearney/Brown/Goode should be joining. Same for either Heaslip/Robshaw/Hughes.”

I agree..are robshaw and heaslip fit?

But Gatland doesnt want players to fly all that way missing out on test caps and disrupting their teams whilst also having played today, did England play today? Hence the famous 5 being called up as they are just down the road, have played a day earlier, wont be pissing off their national coach and most importantly will all be **** overjoyed to ride pine even if the dont get on.

tjagain

England are about to kick off.

dantsw13

Robshaw playing tonight

dantsw13

England players can join tomorrow, miss no national tests, piss off nobody.

anagallis_arvensis

Might not be raring to go come tuesday though and remember its pretty much sunday morning in NZ!

dantsw13

No, as I said – short term local boys to cover Tuesday, best available for rest of tour.

tjagain

Argentina giving England a bit of a scare here. Anyone know if this is a full Argentinian squad? I guess so the european season being over

tjagain

Or maybe not – great take from Brown leads to a try

dantsw13

Yes it is – full team. Most Argentinian players now home based with Jaguares in SR, a bit like Glasgow supplying Sco.

anagallis_arvensis

Scoring pass from brown!!

Viewing 40 posts - 5,161 through 5,200 (of 6,096 total)

The topic ‘Rugby thread 2016/2017’ is closed to new replies.