Viewing 40 posts - 5,121 through 5,160 (of 6,096 total)
  • Rugby thread 2016/2017
  • tjagain

Words words words and no content as usual.

What more do you want? – decide the tactics with the best chance of beating the all blacks and then select the players to do that. Gatland has said he wants to see more attacking play and more risks taken ie offloads and counter attacking

Russell would be the key man if you want an expansive game but he would need the scots midfield around him a they know his game. NO great hardship as despite being ignored the likes of Watson were the best in their positions in the 6N. Play the quick ball playing options in the forwards. Play 2 or even 3 7s Scotland took the ball off Aus 18 times today playing with 2 1/2 7s

Get some centres in there who can pass ie Taylor. Made a try today with a beautiful dummy and delayed pass

Get players in there who can run the support lines. Noticable for the lions today how often a a player could find no support. Again this is where Watson is great.

Just think if the lions had the best of the scots in their they would be stronger especially at playing a fast paced turnover and counter attacking game. NO use being the strongest player if you are second to the breakdown every time – thats Why Hooper and Pocock are so good. Speed allied with technique. so play Barclay and Watson with falatau.

Relying on Barnes to say there aren’t players good enough in the NH is just nonsense he can’t even name half the scots players.

mefty
    Free Member

Why base your tactics on the 4th rated team in the world, when you can pick players from the second best team?

tjagain

Mefty – thats the tactics Gatland says he wants to see. If so you need to pick the best players to suit your tactics

Even with fair representation there wouldn’t be many Scots in the test side. Russell, Watson, maybe Barclay, Dunbar and /or Taylor and Hogg maybe Seymour.

Irish and English to make up the bulk of the rest. Webb and falatau probably the only welsh

mindmap3
    Free Member

Few Scottish boys on the way to the Lions including Russell.

The Lions won which is a positive but their attacking play is a bit poo. I understand that it takes time for a team to gel, but they’re falling down on basic stuff. Th handling had been piss poor so far too. Emphasised when you watch how good the core skills of the blacks are.

Kryton57

I made the comment re support limes before and was dismessed…

The problem starts with Teo not seeing supoort runners so holds on and goes to ground, which needs to not become a habit…

Pigface
    Free Member

Gatland will play the style of game that will beat the AB’s all of the talk about attacking rugby is for the press, he will select a team that will stifle New Zealand and win ugly.

He isn’t a fool and if he tried to play NZ at their own game with players he has then the Lions lose.

tjagain

The lions cannot stifle the ABs. Yes with the players he has chosen they would lose playing attacking rugby – because he has ignored some of the best attacking players available.

How often have Wales beaten SH sides?

Pigface
    Free Member

Well they just beat a very potent Mauri back line by not giving them a sniff.

That is the only way they will beat the AB’s

Face it TJ you don’t like Gatland, don’t like the way he plays rugby and he isn’t Scottish 😆

dufusdip
    Free Member

Forwards look like they’re working well but the back line – whilst good in defence – are turgid in attack. Much as it pains me the commentators are getting pundit fever and we’re going to get a schooling in the tests.

anagallis_arvensis

Gatland has said he wants to see more attacking play and more risks taken ie offloads and counter attacking

Gatland says lots of things, most of its bollocks.
    The bottom line is Scotland might play some nice looking rugby but they threw the towel at twickenham, The All Blacks would destroy them and Aus gifted them 14 points this morning.

I just wish when I call you out on your one eyed bobbins speak you could see it for what it is, a scotsmen bacing his team over all else also if you hate Gatland and the liins maybe wait till they have lost the test series before you say I told you so. You’ll get your chance.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Well they just beat a very potent Maori back line by not giving them a sniff.

TRue but that was because they dominated a relatively weak pack. That’s not going to happen next Saturday. Is it?

Shutting down the ABs and kicking penalties is not going to work. Not over three tests. It might work some of the time but not all the time.

My prediction is for a tight game for the first 50 or so minutes then the ABs to run away with it. The running away point might come earlier or possibly later but it usually comes.

anagallis_arvensis

“That’s just sport for you, that’s the team that Gatland picked. There would have been a few boys who would have been disappointed but you have to go with these things, you have to move on to the next thing quickly. It was tough, but you get on with it.”

Her’s some advice for TJ from BIL player Finn Russell

My prediction is for a tight game for the first 50 or so minutes then the ABs to run away with it.

Stating the bleedin obvious isnt much of a prediction is it!!

The Lions are clearly trying to play with width when its on but all the line breaks came to nothing due to lack of support runners, hopefully they can work on this as the set piece and defence is working well.
    Taking them on at beach rugby will 100% not work. Playing it tight but trying to finish chances well will give them a chance a slim one but a chance none the less. If we go out and try to out run them we will be playing catch up after 20 mins.

anagallis_arvensis

Oh and with Pyper reffing the first test our defense could prosper if he loses his cards for persistant foul play again!

Best get some cheating practise in, maybe we need MORE Welsh!

igm

Finn Russell joining the Lions seems like a bad idea.
    Russell is brilliant but fairly unpredictable – putting him in a team unused to playing with him seems a gamble.

And I want him in the Scotland side. If we’re fourth in the rankings does that give the NH 3 of the top 4 spots?

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s going to be a Blackwash, we have no chance. I imagine NZ will take it easy to avoid destroying the Lions brand.

It’s great to see Itoje growing in stature, this tour will be a tough but valuable learning experience for him not least being alongside the Welsh and Irish quality in the forwards. I have great hopes for him as a future England captain. Aside from that I am not sure I can bear to watch the Tests

anagallis_arvensis

this tour will be a tough but valuable learning experience for him not least being alongside the Welsh and Irish quality in the forwards

Only likely to be one Welsh forward.
    What he has you cannot learn, athleticism.

igm

Has Itoje stopped playing dirty yet? He needs to sort his head if he’s ever going to be an international captain.

anagallis_arvensis

Havent seen any dirty stuff for Lions or before, few silly pens and a bit gobby but nothing to get upset about.

tjagain

Aus gifted them 14 points this morning.

No they didn’t. Scotland play for those interceptions and charge downs and make them thru pressure

but all the line breaks came to nothing due to lack of support runners,

So play the players who are used to running the support lines – note when Scotland make a break there are almost always 3 supporting players like the ABs – one each side and one behind

Has Itoje stopped playing dirty yet?

I tho9ught he was very good today and didn’t give away stupid penalties

I dislike Gatland because he has made a mockery of the lions by picking his favourites on reputation not the form players – twice in a row and his dislike for the scots is obvious.

Watson was clearly the best 7 in the six nations but he takes welshmen out of form and injured instead. Scotland were a much better side than Wales in the six nations but got two players compared to 12?

When are you going to stop underestimating Scotland? Its 30 years IIRC since Wales beat a SH side. Scotland are now 4th in the world rankings. ~Wales are 9th

tjagain

Finn Russell joining the Lions seems like a bad idea.
    Russell is brilliant but fairly unpredictable – putting him in a team unused to playing with him seems a gamble.

Its stupid. He needs familiar players around him and Gatland will not even bench him for the tests unless others are injured – and he won’t be any good anyway without the guys familiar with him around him

gauss1777
    Free Member

and he won’t be any good anyway without the guys familiar with him around him

Surely if he was that good, he would allow for that?

wrecker
    Free Member

Watson was clearly the best 7 in the six nations

What?!?

tjagain

I just wish when I call you out on your one eyed bobbins speak you could see it for what it is, a scotsmen bacing his team over all else

Pot kettle black! 😉

Its not one eye bobbins – when did Wales last beat a SH side? Where are they in the rankings? What was the score in the 6N this year?

Scotland are a much better side than Wales and have some players who would grace any side in the world ( bar perhaps the ABS)

Its just frustration that our players for 20 years have been ignored for the lions and to see inferior players getting in the lions because they are Gatlands pals is frustrating and to see a lions team weaker than it should be because of the biases of the coaches devalues the whole thing

I see your praise for the welsh lads as one eyed bobbins – when the scots comprehensively outplayed them when they last met but still you don’t rate them. 4th in the world is no accident or fluke.

Pigface
    Free Member

I dislike Gatland because he has made a mockery of the lions

You must detest Woodward then.

tjagain

wrecker – Member

Watson was clearly the best 7 in the six nations

What?!?

Yup – he made more yards ball in hand, made more turnovers, made more tackles and missed less than any other back row in the 6N. Best performance then

igm

igm – Member
    Has Itoje stopped playing dirty yet? He needs to sort his head if he’s ever going to be an international captain.

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Havent seen any dirty stuff for Lions or before, few silly pens and a bit gobby but nothing to get upset about.

A lot of head shots during the 6N – to be fair he was good at it and didn’t get caught much.

Edit – I also think that he’s a spectacularly talented player without playing dirty. I wish him well as a Lion, but to go through a bad patch whenever he pulls on an England jersey. 😉

tjagain

Pigface – Member

I dislike Gatland because he has made a mockery of the lions

You must detest Woodward then. [/quote]

See them as much the same – I suppose at least Gatland has been a decent coach in his time

anagallis_arvensis

[Quote]Watson was clearly the best 7 in the six nations [/quote]

Do you have some more stats to back this up?!!!?

anagallis_arvensis

Scotland are a much better side than Wales and have some players who would grace any side in the world ( bar perhaps the ABS)

and the Lions!!!

anagallis_arvensis

Hamish Watson the best 7 in the six nations.

one eyed bobbins

gauss1777
    Free Member

“Scotland are a much better side than Wales and have some players who would grace any side in the world ( bar perhaps the ABS)”
    and Wales!

anagallis_arvensis

Scotland are a much better side than Wales and have some players who would grace any side in the world ( bar perhaps the ABS)”
    and Wales! And the Lions

gauss1777
    Free Member

…and England probably, as they slaughtered them!

tjagain

I could find the stats but it wouldn’t make any differnce to your opinion.

Watson made more turnovers, more yards ball in hand, more tackles and missed less and more turnovers than any other back row in the 6N. In the match against Wales he outplayed any of the welsh back row.

As for no scots getting into the welsh side – why did we hump them in the 6N and way are we 4 / 5 in the world and going up when wales are 9th and going down?

Tom-B
    Free Member

Wow agruements happen within mere seconds here!

aa v TJ, aa v kryton, reminds me of back in the day when it was aa v zokes. I wonder if there’s a common denominator? 😀

anagallis_arvensis

“As for no scots getting into the welsh side”

Gatland hates the scots!! Mind you Nel, Seymour, Maitland, Dell, Hardie, Strauss and Visser might have a chance!

tjagain

And remember we beat Aus missing our best 4 attacking backs and a couple of key forwards

Lee Jones, Greg Tonks and Rory Hughes are no where near the qualiuty of Hogg, Maitland and Seymour

tjagain

Ta AA – add to that Watson 😉

You see you see me as one eyed, I see you as one eyed, the truth is somewhere in the middle I guess

gauss1777
    Free Member

“As for no scots getting into the welsh side – why did we hump them in the 6N and way are we 4 / 5 in the world and going up when wales are 9th and going down?”
    But I thought Gatland was biased against the Scots!? hence they wouldn’t make the Wales team.
    tjagain: I do not doubt you know more than me about rugby, but I do not understand why you think you know better than Gatland or why you think he would deliberately throw the Lions tour by not playing superior Scotland players? – it seems ridiculous to me. Could you not be wrong?

anagallis_arvensis

Most tackles made in the RBS 6 Nations:
    Joe Lanchbury (England) – 85 made, 4 missed
    Justin Tipuric (Wales) – 84, 4
    Sam Warburton (Wales) – 78, 4
    Maro Itoje (England) – 73, 3
    Jonny Gray (Scotland) – 73, 4
    Read more at http://www.rbs6nations.com/mobile/en/news/france/31587.php#Ltf7UPTYYiV8pLTT.99

Viewing 40 posts - 5,121 through 5,160 (of 6,096 total)

The topic ‘Rugby thread 2016/2017’ is closed to new replies.