• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Nobby.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Rugby pubs Twickenham
  • sofaboy73
    Free Member

Have managed to swing myself some last minute tickets for Wales v Australia on Saturday (overly excited and currently deluding myself that the boys in red will scrape a win)

Never been to twickenham so after some recommendations for pubs near the ground for pre and post match boozing – any ideas?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

The Admiral Nelson in Whitton is usually good in the build up to a match. As with any pub in the area though, it’ll be absolutely mobbed on Saturday.
    It’s only about a 5 or 10 minute walk from there to the stadium.

poolman
    Free Member

The 2 on the river facing eel pie island. Barmy arms and white swan.

Latter by far the best – a bit off the beaten track so quieter.

pick up a snack at the takeaway on the old high st for half time

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another vote for the White Swan here. Oh, and check the tide tables. The beer “garden” can get a little moist at high tide!

As with any pub in the area though, it’ll be absolutely mobbed on Saturday.

Are there that many Uruguayans in the UK? 😉

poolman
    Free Member

Loving the photo of course the thames is tidal. It may be just the swan not white swan.

anything near the ground you cant get anywhere near.

TiRed

The Albany in Station Road. Esteemed haunt of Twickenham Cycle Club of a Tuesday evening. A little out of the way, but very nice food and drink.

mefty
    Free Member

The Albany is quite nice now used to be my post car park venue, the Turk’s Head in St Margarets is great, you got the classics in Richmond, the Sun Inn and the Orange Tree, the fan zone on the Old Deer Park and Richmond and London Scottish have a tented village too on their ground which I presume is open before the match. There is also a nice one is Isleworth if you use that route to come in which is very efficient, but its name escapes me.

The White Swan is a great pub but it is a detour – all the above are on or pretty close to the trains or the special bus service.

razorrazoo

Twickenham resident here. White Swan (been marooned on that terrace more than once) is definitely a detour, but still only about a 5 minute walk from the Bramy Arms which is on the river but near the town centre (for White Swan, when you get to the Barmy Arms with the river in front turn left and follow the road parallel to the river). Otherwise Church Street is good, en route to the Barmy, street will be closed off for the rugby so there will be a good crowd outside the Fox (great on a normal Friday with decent live music) and Eel Pie. Another of the classic rugger pubs is the Cabbage Patch, near the station but will be heaving. On high street avoid The George and Misty Moon (weatherspoons), both crap, Webb Ellis is a Lloyds bar and I’m personally not a fan. Bit further up the high street Three Kings is good. Other good Twickenham pubs a little further out are Sussex Arms (loads of bitters and sell Camden lager) plus a proper record player. Lord Blucher opposite the Sussex is also OK.

jambalaya
    Free Member

White Swan is one of my regulars prior to matches (being going to most games for 25 years and will be at the QF), best on a sunny day as its small inside. Personally I think it’s much better than the Barmy Arms. There’s a short cut round fhe back of station to the ground (Sion Rd, Oak Lane, foot bridge). As above the town centre pubs are rubbish IMO. If not the White Swan I would just get to the Stadium and have a beer in the West Car Park bars, will be really busy of course. As many at the match won’t be Twickenham regulars I suspect they’ll get to the Stadium early so the atmosphere there will be good I think. The West Car Park bars will probably be showing the earlier game.

Post the match the bars around the stadium can have a good atmosphere and allow the crowds for bus / train to subside a bit. There are lots of extra buses laid on for the RWC inc closing the A316. As such a trip into Richmnd could be good, somewhere down on the river again – say the White Cross ? Really just follow the atmosphere ? Twickenham Church St as recommended above, we often get a drink and/or or something to eat

Enjoy the game should be a cracker.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies, I can see a pre match pub crawl forming in my mind

Cymru am byth

TheBrick
    Free Member

There are nice pubs in Twickenham but most will be famed with poped collar “yah ruugga” shirt ****. Be warned.

Freester

White Swan +1.

My only advice would be to head to the stadium in plenty of time. For 6N we usually leave it as late as possible but for the RWC the atmosphere at the stadium has been immense. England may not have got the team right but I think they have got the tournament organisation and atmosphere spot on.

Nobby

the Turk’s Head in St Margarets is great

Still my favourite pre-post match establishment.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Rugby pubs Twickenham’ is closed to new replies.