Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Rucsack/Backpack Advice/Recommendations
  • ukjmr
    Free Member

My commute has just got a bit longer and a fair amount darker. I have a great jacket for riding in and staying visible, then I chuck a black Dakine rucsack over the top of it and a) become invisible to some drivers and b) sweat like a pig.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a well ventilated bag, suitable for carrying my lock, multitool, wallet and at worst some running kit? Preferably with some reflective stripes and fluoro bits on.

I’d rather not do with the faff of a bag cover if possible.

Cheers all!

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

camelbak hawg

… and many others

thepurist

Deuter Cross Air EXP – big enough for all that and your sarnies.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

a well ventilated bag

Search for Vaude Air (or Aero): the bag is kept away from your back by a trampoline type frame. The one I got has some replective bits and is also waterproof.

Somethis like this (they do all sizes / shapes). http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/luggage/backpack/cycling-backpacks/product/splash-air-20-5-10335

sweat like a pig

might this to be more to do with the jacket or do you not sweat in it without a bag?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Anything with a supported mesh back thing.

Yuou’re still gonna sweat in a waterproof.

ukjmr
    Free Member

Great start – thanks.

The jacket (an Altura Night Vision Evo) is breathable and well ventilated – it’s okay everywhere apart from the large contact area on my back. The other acid test is that until the last week or so I’ve been riding in jerseys without my jacket and my back ends up dripping (most of my jerseys have a slightly more wind resistant front and more vented back and sides).

cynic-al
    Free Member

it’s okay everywhere apart from the large contact area on my back.

Which will still be present with any rucsac.

thepurist

Which will still be present with any rucsac.

Nope – with the trampoline backs there are only a couple of smaller contact points – the Deuter sits on my hips and then just at the top of my spine. I still get a bit sweaty at the top one but it’s plenty better than having my entire back drenched on the old pack.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Wingnut.

Or if you want a ‘proper’ rucsack, you’d be hard-pressed to go wrong with a Deuter. I’ve had three and would happily have three more.

neninja
    Free Member

My camelbak Hawg has a built is flouro yellow cover (it’s in a pocket at the bottom and takes 2 secs to pull over)

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I’m selling this one, trampoline type back £30 posted

ukjmr
    Free Member

However, the size and the thermal capacity of that patch will differ. A mesh back will not insulate in the same way that a foam back will. And a decent through-draft will give some cooling.

Anyhoo, I’m currently checking out the suggestions above – looking interesting…

(I took waaaaaay to long to hit ‘post’ – must’ve been distracted!)

MrSalmon
    Free Member

How about a saddle bag or seatpost-mounted rack if you’re not carrying much?

RustySpanner

If you’ve got a spare £20.00 try one of these:

Alpkit Gourdon.

The contact area is quite small so I don’t find it that much sweatier than mesh backed bags.
    Mine’s lasted four years and has only just started leaking because it’s got a few small holes in from a crash.
    Pretty comfy, well made and very cheap. Don’t think I’ll be buying any expensive bags again.

ukjmr
    Free Member

My lock is a heavy beast – my Decade SS is to nice to risk! Plus if I’ve running at lunch I need to be able to fit my trainers in as I ride spuddies on my MTBs.

I tend to use a saddlebag for rides ‘just for the hell of it’ with a multi-tool and spare inner.

Both the Deuter Air range and Camelback Hawg are looking favourites at the mo’.

@Rusty – I love Alpkit stuff, but I think for a 45-50 minute commute each way through London traffic I’d like something a bit more stable in this instance.

ourmaninthenorth

For the high-viz/refl;ective bit, I use a “Hump” rucsac cover, which does the foregoing and also serves as a waterproof cover.

I’m going to supllement it with some (homemade) reflective tags and a Smart red LED.

TiRed

Deuter Race EXP. Mine takes a laptop, shirt, underwear and some tools. It might be a struggle to fit running shoes. I keep shoes and a suit at work. The back system is superb – it disappears when wearing it. The vented straps work. It also has a fluorescent rain cover built in, which took me a while to discover.

As for jacket, you will get wet on the inside or wet on the outside. I like a gilet which leaves the back vented. Yesterday’s commute left me with a dry back. A full rain jacket will not breath and you will always be soaked.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fair enough thepurist, my experience was that the mesh pressed the waterproof close enough to the base layer to prevent effective brteathing (if any was happening in the first place!)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Rucsack/Backpack Advice/Recommendations’ is closed to new replies.