Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rucksacks that carry full face helmets?
  • greigb
    Free Member

Afternoon all. I’m looking to replace my chewed up old Camelbak with something more spacious, 15L give or take. However, I’d also like it to carry open and full face helmets (although not at the same time!). I know some people may think taking two helmets out is a massive PITA, and I wouldn’t disagree, but what do you do when half the day is flowing trail centre, the other half is off-piste that wouldn’t be out of place at a DH venue?

Anyway, I’ve looked around and found a few options.

– Osprey Zealot
    – Camelbak KUDU
    – Dakine Drafter and Nomad

I’m wondering if anyone has comments on a) how well/stable these carry full facers (I imagine trail riding with the FF strapped on to be the biggest PITA) b) general comments on the rucksacks as a whole c) any alternatives that I might have missed?

Cheers for any input.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The evocs do it but perhaps you might be better off looking at something like the Bell Super 2r so you only need to stow the chin guard.

greigb
    Free Member

Mike, thanks for reminding me about Evoc, kind of new to me so will take a look at their range.

Regarding those Bell/Met helmets: I think carrying two helmets will be the exception rather than the norm for me. If I’m just spinning up fireroads to drop down steep stuff, I’ll go sans lid on the way up and just take the full face. Regular trail centre loops, it’ll just be the open face. I just happen to have done the odd ride where there’s been a 50/50 split of nice singletrack and steep off piste chutes, but given I currently have good open and full face helmets, a bag to carry them is more cost effective than a modular helmet.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Sorry to hijack but I have an Evoc 20l that is just too big for what I use.
    It has a built in back protector and is M/L in size
    If it’s Any interest drop me an email and I’ll sort some pics.
    Email in profile
    Cheers
    Steve

greigb
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer fatgit, but 20L is probably a bit big for my needs too. Think if I get something too big and don’t fill it, it’ll just flop about with a helmet strapped on.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Love my Zealot. Good and stable with a full face on but not sure I’d want to trail ride with it on there, it still bounces a bit.

greigb
    Free Member

The Zealot was my initial first choice gravity-slave, so good to hear. Bit of a long shot, but there are two back sizes and nowhere near me has them in stock; did you happen to try both and notice much of a size difference?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I didn’t have a choice but am 6 foot so just grabbed the large one.

I bought it for big days out – Snowdon in mixed weather, hike a bike in the Alps, but I’ve stopped using my Raptor and just use the Zealot all the time. The lid lock is great for an XC lid or the 2 upper straps on the rear flap go through the chin guard on a full face. This keeps the lid steady with its own weight holding it down. An extra strap could be added to stop it bouncing if needs be, I think.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Evoc enduro blackline 16l?
    Great backpack with back protector. A tad expensive but worth it. Well I thought so.

jairaj

I have Dakine Session which can also carry normal or full face helmets. Only used it a couple times to carry the full face and found it was fine. Also has straps on the bottom to carry armour. I’ve had it for ages now and its still going strong. 100% recommend it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rucksacks that carry full face helmets?’ is closed to new replies.