Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rubbish chainline on Cotic Soul with 1×11
  • MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Does anybody else find this a problem?

I’ve posted about this before on one of the many 1x topics but after a closer look it looks like the chainline is the reason for my chainring lasting no time at all. It’s Xt 1×11 11-42 but with a 34t Blackspire snaggletooth chainring with 2mm spacers on an M770 triple crank. The area i ride in is quite gritty but the chainring was knackered after 250 miles.

I’ve just sacrificed some gearing and gone down to a 32t chainring and used some 4mm spacers and longer bolts to get the chainring as far over as possible (it’s nearly touching the frame now) to try and improve things but it still looks awful 🙁

Guess I’ll just have to put up with it now and see how long this chainring lasts, also would i be better off with the 4mm chainring spacers or going back to 2mm spacers and swapping the 2.5mm BB spacer to the non drive side?

This is how it currently looks in the lowest gear, the chain dosen’t look straight until it’s in 7th or 8th gear!

dirtydog
    Free Member

Ideal chainline will be 49mm although anything between 48 and 50mm will be fine. Not sure why you would need to use spacers with that chainset, middle ring should be fine where it is.

walleater

Welcome to 11 speed….

russyh
    Free Member

What do you mean by your chainring is knackered? Is it dropping the chain all the time or just looks like a mess?

cloudnine
    Free Member

It’s 1×11.. It’s supposed to be like that. Have you tried pedalling backwards in 1st gear yet?

buckster
    Free Member

Chainguide will feed the chain in a little bit when riding off the block, I have a Shimano CD50 that does this on my HT, also of course keeps the chain on ;~)

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Both, any rough bits and the chain is straight off. You can see on the outer side of the chainring where the teeth have all worn at an angle due to the way the chain comes off it in the lower gears too.

Not sure why you would need to use spacers with that chainset, middle ring should be fine where it is.

With no spacers the chain comes off at a horrendous angle in the lowest gear.

mikertroid
    Free Member

My Boardman FS Pro hasn’t been great; I’ve moved the BB spacer to the Non Drive Side.
    The FSA Crankset drops chains all the time so will look at SLX triple conversion.

Am I right in moving the spacer across? My Whyte HT seems fine in 1×11 but that has a GX crankset.

amedias
    Free Member

Measure the chain line (centre of seat tube to centre of ring) for starters, that will tell you if your chain line is actually ‘wrong’ as in out of spec or not.

If it’s in spec then basically you’re just dealing with normal 1x issues, if it’s out of spec then you need to work out why before trying to fix…

FWIW I have spaced the ring ineards using spacers on most of my 1x bikes to improve matters, technically they were all within spec but they are better spaced in a little, but you’re limited to what you can do clearance wise.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Measure the chain line (centre of seat tube to centre of ring) for starters, that will tell you if your chain line is actually ‘wrong’ as in out of spec or not.

Thanks, will do that when I get home. I was wondering what people meant when they quote 40 something mm for chainlines etc, I’m used to doubles and triples that you fit and they just work with no faffing 😆

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rubbish chainline on Cotic Soul with 1×11’ is closed to new replies.