Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Rubber Queen or Hans Dampf
  • Rosss
    Free Member

Which would you buy. They’re going on a Mojo so will be doing a bit of everything. The Rubber queens are UST black chilli 2.2 and the hans dampf are 2.35

honourablegeorge

HD’s a lot lighter than a UST RQ, and goe sup tubeless easily

ruscle
    Free Member

Rubber Queens, best all round tyre and they are lighter than advertised. Last pair I got were 700g each, also they run much better than the hans damph which I found to be real draggy on climbs.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

+1 for RQ’s

andymc06
    Free Member

HD front RQ rear?

carlphillips
    Free Member

HD’s all the way.

cnud
    Free Member

I really like the way RQ’s roll and grip but I’ve deformed 3 black chilli 2.2 ust tyres now in the space of 3 months which a) is expensive and b) more importantly has ruined 3 rides. Stuck some Hans Dampf Pacestar on a we’ll see how we go. All have been done on drop offs btw, nothing out of the ordinary or that previous Maxxis rubber haven’t dealt with.

wrecker
    Free Member

Trust me, I’ve gone from RQ to HD (newest version)
    RQ all the way (black chili). Heavier but more grip and much more durable.
    I’m tempted to try a maxxis offering next. Perhaps a LUST HR2?

Rosss
    Free Member

Quite the decision it seems, anyone got any real world weights or the HD?

creamegg
    Free Member

Which hd compound?

Something from Specialized instead?

Rosss
    Free Member

HD compund would be pacestar or trailstar. Would a HD front and nobby nic back be a good set up?

I’m using 2.2 purgatorys now but they come up pretty small, What front would be a good match for the purgatory rear?

creamegg
    Free Member

Just weighed a brand new hd 26″ trailstar tl-ready, super gravity tyre on kitchen scales and its 990grams. Not sure if there the same tyre as you want though as theyre a lot heavier than my RQ’s and wouldnt want these as general (everyday trail) tyres.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The Super Gravity ones are a borderline DH tyre. The more comparable would be the snakeskin model.

I’d be tempted if they made one, to run a 2.25 Super Gravity Pacestar rear tyre with something grippy on the front. I seem to trash rear tyres for fun, so need something a bit more substantial on the back, but still rolls well.

matther01
    Free Member

Running RQs and HDs here.

HDs just over 800g and come up really big with loads of grip front and rear…wearing really well too. Noticeably draggy though downhill…but really dig in on loose ascents.

RQs roughly the same weight, less draggy and good but not as good grip as HDs. Wearing not as well as the HDs either.

Riding really rough n ready constantly, HDs…if not RQs better all rounder.

Love them both and inflate real easy…just better for different ridings styles/terrain. Think bikediscount.de are doing HD pairs for €60.

Edit – no longer doing HD pairs 🙁

creamegg
    Free Member

Also weighed a new RQ 2.2 black chilli. 645g

Rosss
    Free Member

Pretty much sold on the Rubber queens, How big do they come up in 2.2?

cnud
    Free Member

You might want to look at These a heavy duty version of the Purgs. Got the 29er version and they are much more robust than the Control or tissue paper thin SWorks

matther01
    Free Member

RQs 2.35, HDs 2.5

endurogangster
    Free Member

Rubber queen 2.2 BC rear, hans dampf trailstar front!

matther01
    Free Member

Never suffered any cuts with the purgs, but like the look of the new grids.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Not used the RQ,but used HD on my last bike,very good tyre,good grip,good thickness sidewall.
    Lasts well and a good size aswell,Ran 2.35″ ones.

Pace star rear,Trail star front.Amazing combination

fudge9202
    Free Member

RQ front and MKII rear 9 out of 12 months and when its muddy
    Baron front and MKII rear.
    Had hans dampfs and found the grip good but very draggy on the climbs

wrecker
    Free Member

My HD rear is nearly trashed in no time at all. A couple more hard corners and the side knobs will be gone!
    Sorry schwalbe, not good enough. Always on the look out for good all rounders so suggestions welcome!

Rosss
    Free Member

Right so i’ve got:

RQ black chilli 2.2
    Purgatory 2.3
    HD 2.35

I’ve decided to buy a set of dual plys for the alps so they’re just for trail centres and uk DH days

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

edit – no longer doing HD pairs

Spoke to ze germans and they should be back in Stock in september. New models or something.

HTH

matther01
    Free Member

They obviously don’t call you wrecker for nothing 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

They obviously don’t call you wrecker for nothing

😳
    You’re probably right. I am partial to an uplift day or two though.

nosedive
    Free Member

have a look at spesh butcher control. 780g. tubeless ready. £54 a pair at freeborn. fitted a pair a couple of weeks ago and they are rolling really nicely

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’ve used both as pairs. RQs are excellent in every situation apart from mud (they clog, don’t shed, don’t dig in) so IMO cannot be used all year in the UK. HDs are slower rolling and wear faster but are good in all conditions.

Im giving specialized a try next, going for a butcher control front and purgatory control rear.

honourablegeorge

creamegg – Member
    Also weighed a new RQ 2.2 black chilli. 645g

UST a lot heavier though, and non-UST Contis are ropey for tubeless.

creamegg
    Free Member

Im running RQ non UST tubeless and theyve been faultless

chiefgrooveguru

I really like the 2.2 UST BC Rubber Queens, they’re so hard wearing but grippy and roll pretty fast on everything but tarmac. I’ve noticed that the carcass has a nicely damped rebound characteristic which makes the back end of a hardtail noticeably less skittery than with the 2.4 Protection X-King (v similar size carcass) I just put on.

chiefgrooveguru

UST a lot heavier though, and non-UST Contis are ropey for tubeless.

And what difference does the extra weight actually make? It isn’t the weight that makes some heavy tyres slow, it’s the hysteresis loss in the carcass (especially with dual ply) and the frictional and hysteresis losses from chunkier tread. The UST Rubber Queens are not slow for what they are. And they work amazingly well in my local mud, though they’re quite pressure sensitive – you need to go soft enough to get the bigger contact patch and enough knobs on the ground and increased flex so they shed mud at lower speeds.

Im giving specialized a try next, going for a butcher control front and purgatory control rear.

I have a Butcher Control to try on the front of the main bike – the Purgatory wasn’t quite as good a rear tyre as the RQ but it’s very good for the money. Tempted to try a Baron + Mud X pairing on my winter singlespeed…

MrGFisher
    Free Member

If its a Mojo HD, be aware that you may get some frame rub with HD 2.35’s at full travel.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Rubber Queen or Hans Dampf’ is closed to new replies.