Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rubber queen black chlli – worth it?
  • transapp
    Free Member

Twice the price of the non black chilli versions, and significantly more than high rollers. Are the worth it for a ‘do it all’ tyre?

13thfloormonk

Tricky. I genuinely felt my 2.2″ Black Chilli Rubber Queens (and for that matter the 2.4″ I had tried beforehand) were very fast rolling, and also found them pretty tenacious on the climbs. Others seem to think they’re not the best in corners but I didn’t have them long enough to put it to the test.

Overall though, I wouldn’t now pay the extra over, say, a set of ADvantages which are also pretty good all rounders, light, and corner well.

Garry_Lager

Had a 2.4 Black Chilli on the front and thought it was exceptional, can’t recall using a better front tyre tbh. At £50 for the UST you’d expect it to be good though.
    2.2 UST on the back (can’t recall if it was bc or not) was OK – didn’t get too excited by it.

allthegear
    Free Member

How big is the 2.4? Would it be silly on an 819 rim??

Rachel

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

It is big but not silly on an 819

Just check your forks will take it

messiah
    Free Member

I’m a sucker for them. 2.2’s on my hardtail and 2.4’s on my FS – neither is UST but I think I’ll go UST on the back of the big bike as I’ve damaged the tyre quite a bit. I can’t compare them to the non Black Chilli version which I’ve not tried, but in the past I’ve tried Conti’s cheap tyres and always hated them so I was not going to go there again.

My first Black Chilli RQ tyre I bought cheap as an experiment and it impressed the hell out of me so I bought some more.

As to how it compares to high rollers and Maxxis tyres I can’t say… it’s been many years since I’ve used them. They are better than the Scwalbe Big Betty I was running before but Schwalbe have changed the rubber compound so the new ones might be better. Previous experience with maxxis was weak sidewalls and punctures on the light ones and the DH ones were too heavy… things may have changed but I tried the RQ’s and am hooked for the moment.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I really like them. Not sure if i’d pay full price for them though.
    When I wear them out i’ll be buying more.

Got the 2.2 on the rear and it rolls suprisingly well and is lasting well too.

neninja
    Free Member

I got a pair of 2.2 Black chilli on Ebay from someone who used them once – £30 bargain.

They replaced a pair of Advantage 2.1 Exception and I have to say the Rubber queen are better in most areas. The Advantage were a fair bit lighter and faster rolling but the Rubber Queen has far superior grip both cornering, braking and when climbing on loose surfaces. Also the higher profile of the RQ seems to help them roll over stuff and work better in rocky areas.

jameso

yes. they last longer and grip better.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

swapped my pair of RQ 2.2 BC for some Minion DHF 2.35 60a – the Minions are faster rolling and corner better, maybe not quite so good in the wet

slimjim78
    Free Member

whats the chilli bit reference to?

enduro-aid
    Free Member

im pretty sure its got somthing to do with them using bits of carbon fibre in the side wall to make them stronger

neninja
    Free Member

Black Chilli is Continental’s premium rubber compound – supposed to offer high levels of grip with low wear rates

jameso

It’s the tread compound, a type of rubber that has better grip and wear rates than normal – it’s not carbon-reinforced sidewalls ) maybe you’re thinking of Protection tyres, conti tyres that use an extra layer of stuff to stop the sidewalls getting cut as easily.

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

I used the black chilli version front and back in 2.2 and couldn’t get on with them at all. Found them vague in loose stuff and had a weird characteristic on fast bumpy downs where it felt like someone kicked the front wheel sideways by around 4 inches or so (felt like hitting a big rock and that big twitch you get on the front end). Remember a few other people saying the same.
    However, loads of people love ’em and I’m in a minority. Went back to Minions DHF myself.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Rubber queen black chlli – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.