Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rubber pad on underneath of kitchen sink. Will I die?
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Our stainless steel kitchen sink has a rectangle of stiff rubber glued to it. Or at it does some of the time as it regularly falls off.

Any idea what it’s for? Is it supposed to deaden sound or something? I’m guessing the glue softens with hot water in the bowl – suggestions on how to stick it back?

nickc

keeps the water going down your drain the right way. without you’ll open a portal to the under-word and the un-dead will come and steal every other sock in you laundry…

probably

MrPottatoHead

I’d assumed it was just to avoid scratches when they stack them together in the stock room.

Gary_M
    Free Member

It’s a sound deadening pad. Think there’s usually one under the drainer bit too.

andysredmini
    Free Member

It is sound deadening. It may sound tinny if it’s removed.

ossify

suggestions on how to stick it back?

Superglue? Bostik / Gorilla Glue type stuff
    Or duck tape perhaps

It is sound deadening. It will sound very tinny if it’s removed.

The sink will sound even worse 8)

alexpalacefan

How old is the sink?
    They used to be made of asbestos. You’ll be OK if you’re not drilling or cutting it, but just FYI.

APF

freeagent
    Free Member

You can replace it with any generic sound-deadening material.
    I lined out cooker extractor hood with self-adhesive aluminium roof-flashing material.
    The drop in noise was considerable.

footflaps

It’s a sound deadening pad. Think there’s usually one under the drainer bit too.

Learn something knew every day!

nickc

That’s what they want you to believe

BlobOnAStick

Ours came off and it doesn’t sound any different when running taps etc. However….. if you tip boiling water into the sink, it goes *bang* – the thermal expansion causes it to deform suddenly. The rubber mat used to stop this happening.

Bear
    Free Member

use some adhesive called CT1.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

use some adhesive called CT1.

That’s a good idea. We’ve probably still got something similar kicking around from the build.

I was thinking car trip foam stuff but that might be better.

Bear
    Free Member

CT1 is amazing stuff, stuck a pair of trainers back together with it and they are still together.

teethgrinder

Bear – Member
    CT1 is amazing stuff, stuck a pair of trainers back together with it and they are still together.

Must make running in them difficult.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Rubber pad on underneath of kitchen sink. Will I die?’ is closed to new replies.