Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • rubber bung for forks crown/steerer tube ?
  • whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

my steerer tube is always getting mud splats up it, even though i have an enduro guard, does any one use a bung to block the hole of the steerer tube.

If so, what do you use.
    i guess the mud will not impact the bearings etc but the grit and water cant be good for the headset screws and topcap.

i’m just throwing it out their. maybe a stupid idea.

darkplunger
    Free Member

About 20 years ago you could buy a Crud Bung. This was essentially a bar end plug for precisely this job. It kind of solved a problem which didn’t exist.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’m sure you could put something up there, but I wouldn’t as moisture will gather from above (probably in small amounts and yes this will happen on carbon stuff with no hole) and might cause some nasty corrosion in an area you really don’t want to be weakened.

SirHC

Motofoam or similar

Trimix
    Free Member

I always find no end of crap goes up there and ends up as a fine collection of gritty dust inside the frame – where it covers the headset / star fangled nut and BB.

So I think it is a problem, just not a massive one.

A proper water proof bung would be good, but water may still end up inside the frame from somewhere else. So you would have to remove it to make sure there is no moisture in there.

Just stick a Champagne cork up there, or a rag.

nickc

hmmm, would it not just trap water and crud in your head tube?

simondbarnes

I always find no end of crap goes up there and ends up as a fine collection of gritty dust inside the frame – where it covers the headset / star fangled nut and BB.

How does it get from inside the steerer tube into the frame?

Klunk
    Free Member

I thought that what sks shock blade mounts were for. 😕

scotroutes

Muck gets inside the steerer tube. The bearings are on the outside of the steerer tube. How does it get from inside to outside?

akira

Champagne cork.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

thanks guys so its not really an issue,
    i dont take the top cap off often, but yah the star nut and bolt screw is usually covered, should i just but some antiseize/grease on these and forget about it.

GeForceJunky

I use a circle of 1mm plastic sheet glued to the base of the steerer tube. Works a treat.

rickmeister

Just buy a bottle of Frexinet from the off-licence or something.

They give a free Fork Bung away with every bottle.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘rubber bung for forks crown/steerer tube ?’ is closed to new replies.