Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • RSS feeds – are they passe or just defunct now?
  • singletracksurfer

I was looking to set something up but no one seems to offer it anymore.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Yeah a lot of people don’t seem to know or care about them. Still around in some places. Annoying as an RSS aggregator is so much easier and more efficient than visiting different web sites. And the aggregators tend to strip out adverts…perhaps that’s why it’s gone out of fashion.

singletracksurfer

Ah ok, thanks, I wondered if I was going a bit mad as some sites, like STW and Bike Radar, seemed to have them, even have guides on them, but no button/link.

whitestone
    Free Member

I liked RSS but it never really took off except among the more tech savvy. It probably needed a catchy name like “Let me Know”.

They are easy enough to set up if the site is run off a database as many are (WordPress and similar).

GrahamS

I still use RSS quite a lot. I have RSS subscriptions to 90 odd websites via feedly which I then read on my phone via the Reeder app.

Good way to catch up on news from a whole lot of different sites without being bogged down with adverts and other guff.

singletracksurfer

Ah ok thanks, maybe I’ll stick with it and investigate further then.

Sandwich

Good way to catch up on news from a whole lot of different sites without being bogged down with adverts and other guff.

That’s why it’s less available. The Independent removed all their feeds when they went on-line only. The Guardian regularly changes the feed addresses (years rather than months).

CraigW
    Free Member

Many websites have an RSS feed, even if they don’t have a visible button/link on the page. In Firefox, right click and choose “View page info”, then that should show any feeds.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘RSS feeds – are they passe or just defunct now?’ is closed to new replies.