Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • RSPCA – so what do they do?
  • hora
    Free Member

No really. I've experienced them a few times now.

Maybe the next time they are called one should say 'hi I have 100k in inheritance, could you come and collect it'?

Alsation- obviously had been knocked down. Two hours after the numerous calls from concerned people who work round here and no sign.

simon1975

They took a poorly fox out of my garden a couple of years ago for me, so it's not all bad 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not sure I'd call the RSPCA, think my first call would be to just pick it up and take it to a vet. My limited understanding of the RSPCA is that they're not there to deal with emergency victims, but to look after the general health and keeping of animals. i might call the rspca if it were something unusual and wild like a badger or a bird of prey.

aP
    Free Member

Why don't you ask them? You could always just have gone out with a shovel and dealt with it.

Driller
    Free Member

I've had the same experience of the RSPCA…

Stray dogs, they don't want to know. Injured dog/cat etc lying by the side of the road, they don't want to know. Neighbours mistreating their dog, they don't want to know.

I think they quite like swans and stuff, especially if there's a TV camera pointing at them. Sometimes I think that if people knew all the stuff they didn't do (which people seem to preceive they do) then they wouldn't be one of the richest charities in the country.

I've never been able to get them to do anything.

wwaswas

as above rspca aren't an emergency service.

Vets have a 'hypocratic oath' type thing going on and must treat anythign they're presented with so I'd find the nearest vets surgery and talk to them.

wwaswas

actually, just out of interest, you have a days old child and you're fretting about the function of the RSPCA in modern society?

don't you have better/more immediate things to worry about?

Wee
    Free Member

I would have taken it to the vet as soon as it happened too. Then contacted the local council as they deal with stray dogs and not the RSPCA. Or that is what it's like where I live in Scotland.

That's a shame you think so little of the RSPCA. I've dealt with the SSPCA (completely different organisation to the RSPCA) in Scotland and they have always been fantastic.

I've called them a number of times and they're always very helpful and happy to come out, even though Scotland has a limited number of officers working across the country. I always feel sorry for them as people in Scotland give money to the RSPCA thinking it's going to support Scotland's wildlife but it isn't.

I hope the Alsation is okay.

hora
    Free Member

Stray dogs, they don't want to know. Injured dog/cat etc lying by the side of the road, they don't want to know. Neighbours mistreating their dog, they don't want to know.

I've watched their TV ads- I think they are grossly misleading.

Swans? I could tell you a story about two nesting Swans and the RSPCA who told me to call the RSPB as it wasn't within their remit (who then told me that they were into conservation). The two Swans were subsequently savaged to death by a Staff and featured on the local news.

RSPCA website- its about cruelty. The emotive words that pull at animal lovers heart strings. The words cruelty along the words "donate now" are prominent.

True- they'll employ minimal front line staff who are animal lovers and are overstretched but I wonder how much of their funds raised go to the front line? (I've asked this question before- I know the answer already having viewed their KPI's).

Del

they're a bloody charity FFS. if you want to discuss the merits of charities having paid employees that's a different matter, but in the case of the dog which you were so concerned about, perhaps the time for action might have been when you were wondering back into the office thinking that something should be done and you'd phone someone who, in your opinion, should do it.

Keva
    Free Member

why call the RSPCA for a dog which has been runover, surely it should be a trip to the nearest veterinary surgery asap ?

If you see a kid get runover in the street do you phone the RSPCC or get them medical help ?

Kev

hora
    Free Member

The Alsation was with a emaciated male Rotweiller. I kid you not. I imagine both were kicked out of someones house/yard and had wondered around for a while.

MrAgreeable

So what do you do then Hora?

Oh yeah, you're a recruitment consultant. Well-placed to criticise other people then.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Isn't the PDSA for this kind of thing?

Isn't calling the RSPCA to come for a dog thats injured like calling the Red Cross because need an ambulance?

hora
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable- and your job is infinitely better than mine?

shedfull
    Free Member

Local vet or PDSA would be best. RSPCA don't treat injured animals as a result of accident. I'm surprised they don't show if a dog is reported as mistreated and emaciated, though.

thepodge
    Free Member

Even if its not their remit they should have pointed you to someone who could help

GEDA
    Free Member

I thought the people that looked after old donkeys was one of the richest charities.

Nick

to be fair to Hora the RSCPA website does say this

We are the animal emergency service. At all times, in all weather, we're out there rescuing animals.

saying that, aren't we all a bit tired of the 'so what do they do?' type threads started by people with an axe to grind who alledgedly should have something better to do?

Animals in Distress

hora
    Free Member

Nick I will be on the sauce tonight wetting the babies head so that'll chill me then 😀

Rickos
    Free Member

My fiancee is an RSPCA Inspector and she's one of the people that visits places to check on pets that have been reported as mis-treated. She gets some pretty horrific stuff and also some wasted calls where it's just someone with a vendetta against the person with the pet. They get some weird stuff on calls too –
    "Yes, I saw a sheep under a 5 bar gate while I was out walking".
    "Did you try to take the gate off the sheep?"
    "No, I thought it best to call you."

There are some daft people out there. But, best thing to do is take the dog to the local vet. RSPCA collection officers usually have a massive area to cover so to wait 2 hours really isn't that bad.

backhander
    Free Member

Hmm, I'm a fan of the RSPCA, probably because that's wher I got the bear from;

In short, dickhead gets dog. Dickhead realises dog is big commitment and requires walks, food etc so dog has to go as dog hinders dickheads social life.
    RSCPA take dog.
    Nice new owner (who may or may not also be a dickhead) takes dog home and all live happily ever after.
    Regardless of your stance on animals, I hope that none of us wish to see them suffer/roaming the streets/thrown into the canal.

westkipper
    Free Member

…Unless its a perch, which would be better off thrown in the canal.

backhander
    Free Member

…..Or a duck or shark or beaver.

westkipper
    Free Member

NO, NO, NO, backhander, not the shark! Most temperate zone sharks are stenohaline, and unsuited to canal life.
    If I catch you trying it I'll report you to.. the…err.. RSPCA? 😕

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I caught a Terrapin in our local stream years ago. A dirty gert big bugger – the size of a dinner plate.

I phoned the RSPCA and asked for advice – they told me to put it back……

Now I was under the impression that Terrapins weren't native to these shores…..

westkipper
    Free Member

They're not, probably a released pet.

hora
    Free Member

Regardless of your stance on animals, I hope that none of us wish to see them suffer/roaming the streets/thrown into the canal.

I wouldn't hesitate to hurt someone if they hit a dog/cat/animal infront of me. Funnuily, I could be called names, pushed physically and shouted at without reacting.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Hora, if someone was standing in front of you they wouldn't be hitting an animal……

hora
    Free Member

Hora, if someone was standing in front of you they wouldn't be hitting an animal……

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Is that your new one?

hora
    Free Member

No googled but wierdly he does look just like him. Wierd.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Don't all babies look alike anyway?

backhander
    Free Member

You mean we shouldn't throw sharks into canals?
    OH GOD PLEASE FORGIVE ME

westkipper
    Free Member

backhander, I know perfectly well you would not be so irresponsible to throw a shark into a canal, but your words carry so much influence that I thought some clarification was necessary, before radge wee bas***ds across the land committed acts of carcharicidal cruelty.

hora
    Free Member

Don't all babies look alike anyway?

I received a few disproving and frosty looks from a room full of females when I said that.

Northwind

Next time, shuffle them all and see if anyone can pick out their own.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Just pick one that didn't smell?

Woody
    Free Member

So, both you and your colleagues left an 'obviously injured' dog to wander around for 2 hours. What happened then ? Did it roll over and die peacefully thus allowing you to stop fretting and carry on with your fulltime forum posting job?

Christ knows how you ever find the time pursue your hobby ie. placing people 🙄

hora
    Free Member

Woody, it was wih a emaciated fully grown Rotweiller. They were obviously together and the Rotweiller was perky when you came close. A lady who worked closeby managed to get closer and cover the alsation when it had to lay down but that was it.

Would you share a car with a injured fully grown Alsation and possibly risk injury from its 'friend'?

No. I thought not. Thank you.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘RSPCA – so what do they do?’ is closed to new replies.