Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • RSPCA back 100,000 petition to ban private Fireworks displays
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Just been reading the report in the Times about the RSPCA backing a 100,000 signed petition to ban private Firework displays, and restrict to only 4 per year organised ones.

I’ll be backing that then.

chewkw
    Free Member

Reason?

garage-dweller

I’m off to get the hob nobs then to sit back and watch the fireworks.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They really are a bunch of (expletive deleted)s.

SaxonRider

They really are a bunch of (expletive deleted)s.

If you’re talking about the RSPCA, then I agree. They’re the very embodiment of the worst of the whole, very British, very paternalistic, nose-in-everyone-else’s-business, sort of institution.

scaredypants

I suppose they need something to do, now they’re in support of hunting

cranberry
    Free Member

Can’t we ban the RSPCA as a public nuisance ?

Or maybe just restrict them issuing press releases about interfering in other people’s lives to 4 days a year.

slowoldman

What’s a private firework display? Are we talking a few roman candles and catherine wheels in the back garden?

garage-dweller

Slowoldman I rather suspect that is it. So what we do most years because it’s nice to be able to make a few pretty sparks and still have the young children in bed at a decent hour/not have to queue for an hour to get out of a boggy car park breathing other people’s exhaust fumes and contributing our own.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The RSPCA are cretins sometimes.

Fortunately, like most petitions put to this government, it’ll get ignored since it’s from the plebs.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The article centres around Dog walkers, seems Dog walkers started the petition claiming they can’t walk their Dogs throughout the Autumn due to constant displays from Private homes.

Seems to have gone under the radar this one, 100,000 already and now it’s in the Times … Makes you think it’ll attract a few more signatures.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Our dog gets very stressed by firework (and similar noises). The wife takes him away for bonfire night. These trips have been getting longer and longer. Seems bonfire “night” goes on for about 6-8 weeks around our way.

I’m not saying ban it, but I’d happily see it restricted somewhat.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Onzadog- it’ll go on into December because of Dewali. I don’t see why the vast majority should suffer because of your pet. My pets are fine with bonfire night.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Do people still buy fireworks?

The neighbours do some during birthdays etc.

I have no pets but would be annoyed if I did without warning of the fireworks.

I thought it would be cheaper to buy a ticket for a display?

jambalaya
    Free Member

What’s the law in Ireland ? I know sale of fireworks to individuals are banned. FWIW I love fireworks.

@scaredypants perhaps that should make you understand that “hunting” is actualy active land management which is required to sustain habitats and species

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not sure having firework less often counts as suffering. And it’s not just the dog. I don’t enjoy them endlessly for so long but I can imagine they’d be distressing if I suffered from ptsd.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Will they also raise a petition to stop my neighbors cat sh!tting in my garden and killing birds?

monkeychild
    Free Member

Will they also raise a petition to stop my neighbors cat shitting in my garden and killing birds?

I’m in for that!!! far more anti-social than few whizzy bangy things 😀 cats are ****

scotroutes

Frankenstein – Member
    Do people still buy fireworks dogs?

It’s not like fireworks are a recent invention or that reports of some dogs being nervous about them have suddenly become news.

andyl
    Free Member

Based on the air pollution, littering ofrockets on grazing land, effect on livestock, horses and domestic pets, the in considerate behaviour and a lack of safety employed by a lot of people, the cost to the NHS, fire service and police of accidents and on purpose misuse, etc etc I completely agree.

Either ban the sale to the general public completely or scale back what is allowed. Some rockets we have set off round here are like mortars going off. It’s not fair on wildlife, livestock or pets for the sake of some people’s “enjoyment”

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Based on the air pollution, littering ofrockets on grazing land, effect on livestock, horses and domestic pets, the in considerate behaviour and a lack of safety employed by a lot of people, the cost to the NHS, fire service and police of accidents and on purpose misuse,

Better ban EVERYTHING then.

Cost to the NHS of mountain bikes, for example.
    Pollution of taking a flight, for example.
    Littering of energy gels left by sportives, for example.

I could go on, but I really can’t be arsed.

eddie11
    Free Member

Jesus. 1987 called it wants its petition back.

fireworks sales have never been stricter. Fireworks used to last for months with kids mucking about now you’re lucky to see any even on bonfire night. it’s been blown out of the water by Halloween

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I’m pro dog and pro firework…I’m so confused 🙁

slowoldman

Well I suppose when I were a lad is was only one night a year.

crankboy
    Free Member

Any argument against fireworks can be spun against dogs , noise mess injury to children unnecessary etc . We share our enviroment live and let live and try not to leave a mess or scare others .

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Bongo you need ban firedogs or dogworks, not sure which

Hth

sbob
    Free Member

Throwing my head above the parapet here, I used to run a firework display company, so if anyone has any specific questions about technicalities I’m the man to ask.
    As for opinion, fire away.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Not sure I can ban firedogs, they are worryingly more-ish.

raymeridians
    Free Member

Was it this petition? – https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/109702

If so they are proposing that the general public be restricted to four days but nothing about organised displays.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

When our local feral runts are jacked on miao miao and enjoying the delights of explosive season the only authority they’ll listen to is the animal pesterers, so I’ve signed, or am at least considering it, a bit.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Having had a lot of working dogs growing up and having parents with a lovely working cocker cross, maybe dog owners should buy proper dogs…as in working gun dogs or crosses with working blood instead of anxiety prone inbred show dogs.

Dog owners should be careful what they decide to petition, lest one to many children have their faces bitten off by dogs and the “oh won’t you think of the children” lot get round to banning dogs.

**** pissed with the amount of dogshit ending up on my tyres these days and rambler **** with dogs off their lead who have the cheek to have a go at me as well, oh but as a cyclist I deserve it. Pot meet kettle etc.

Anyway, lets waste more police resources on bullshit unenforceable laws! Maybe we can introduce a dog license to pay for the extra rozzers, sodding cretins.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Having had a lot of working dogs growing up and having parents with a lovely working cocker cross, maybe dog owners should buy proper dogs…as in working gun dogs or crosses with working blood instead of anxiety prone inbred show dogs.

Good point, working labs will happily snooze through a fireworks display. If it’s not raining gamebirds, they’re not interested 🙂 Maybe people should buy less rubbish dogs?

hora
    Free Member

PDSA yes
    RSPCA no.

Recent programme that featured a bird and RSPCA acting all caring to the camera.

Real life experience – I called ‘nothing to do with us try the RSPB’. Err no that’s a conservation charity not a rescue one?..

Harry_the_Spider

Will they also raise a petition to stop my neighbors cat sh!tting in my garden and killing birds?

I’d sign that.

garage-dweller

I thought it would be cheaper to buy a ticket for a display?

Definitely not if you are a family. Take your entrance price add a couple of hot drinks, a cookie or donut or two the car/bus/train journey there and it racks up pretty quick. Pop some burgers in for tea and it’s easily headed for £75+.

Compare that to £35 of fireworks from Sainsbury’s some burgers and marshmallows and a bag of wood for a fire pit (well outside the firework safe distance!) and it’s well under £50. Plus you don’t get stuck in the hideous scramble to escape the car park at the end.

votchy
    Free Member

I love fireworks, the more the merrier in my view. If it upsets your pet, you accepted that when you decided to have a pet, dont see farmers bellyaching because their cattle get upset, no-one worries about the wildlife being affected, sooner the rspca get abolished the bunch of twunts the better

anagallis_arvensis

My lurcher spits in your general direction!

andyl
    Free Member

. Better ban EVERYTHING then.
    Cost to the NHS of mountain bikes, for example.
    Pollution of taking a flight, for example.
    Littering of energy gels left by sportives, for example.
    I could go on, but I really can’t be arsed.

All you have done is highlight more things that humans do that is irresponsible. Any littering is not acceptable and yes flights are hugely polluting but most people are selfish twunts who don’t give a crap about the effect they have on the planet or anyone else.

Wouldn’t be any need to ban stuff if everyone acted responsibly and stopped being greedy. Id be fine if energy gels were banned, don’t see the point in them for most of the people who use them. Manufactured crap in a non-recyclable packet.

mattbee

My dog isn’t gun shy, happily ignores them but absolutely terrified of fireworks. Idiot.
    I really like stuff that goes bang, I’ve got a pyrotechnic license myself as I used to create massive explosions for airsoft events in my last job, fuel lifts, line charges etc.
    I don’t begrudge anyone a decent display for bonfire night, maybe on the weekend before or after if it falls midweek or the weather is crap. We can bigger off in the caravan somewhere remote or to the in laws (far too posh for home displays where they live!) to get away form it so he’s not upset.
    What really irritates me is the way that it has gone from being a few days to dragging on for weeks and weeks. That and the way one of my neighbors display technique is to let one off every 20 min or so from 6pm to midnight rather than having a huge reenactment of the apocalypse and then retiring inside to get hammered like any normal human being should.

timbur
    Free Member

Send them to Lewes on Bonfire night. They’ll poop themselves! (RSPCA that is, not dogs, that would be silly)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘RSPCA back 100,000 petition to ban private Fireworks displays’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts