Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • RSPB. Big Garden Bird Watch this weekend
  • Bunnyhop

Are you taking part?

More information here: https://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/

JulianA
    Free Member

Yes, we’ll be taking part.

Big Garden Birdwatch usually means dreadful weather, sadly!

Would be interesting to compare lists after the weekend.

chambord
    Free Member

Don’t have a garden and the only thing I’ve ever heard fly pst is a goldfinch so not much point in me joining in.

However, this is the year I see a waxwing… Definitely this time…

Bunnyhop

chambord – you don’t need to have a garden.
    Get yourself down to a local park or wood. Sit there quietly for the hour and write down what you see.

JulianA
    Free Member

However, this is the year I see a waxwing… Definitely this time…

Good luck with that! Waxwing is the bird that got away as far as we are concerned! It didn’t help when my mother phoned to say that 16 Waxwing had been in the tree next to her garden…

JoeG
    Free Member

Bunnyhop

What a miserable turn out:

1 x Robin
    2 x Bluetits
    3 x Blackbirds

rene59
    Free Member

Get yourself down to a local park or wood. Sit there quietly for the hour and write down what you see.

Haha, I’d need counseling afterwards if I did that in my local area.

jimster01

Aah,two fat pigeons

arrpee
    Free Member

Saw a squad of about 20 waxwings outside the office a couple of years ago. They porked their way through a whole Rowan tree’s worth of berries in about half an hour.

My commute takes me along a (very urban) stretch of river in the same town every day. In the last week I’ve seen kingfishers, grey herons, grey wagtails (the name undersells them: almost tropical bright yellow/green), goosanders, and a very lost looking cormorant.

tuffty
    Free Member

4 blackbirds, 7 blue-tits, 11 chaffinch, 2 coal tits, 1 collared dove, 3 dunnocks, 4 great-tits, 5 longtailed-tits, 5 robins, 1 marsh tit, 1 tree sparrow, 1 song thrush, 4 greenfinches, 2 house sparrows, 1 wren, 2 woodpigeons, 3 jackdaws

chambord
    Free Member

tuffty, nice haul!

1 marsh tit

🙂

verses

The garden’s been pretty quiet this winter…

2x Magpies
    2x Goldfinch
    1x Greenfinch
    1x Great tit
    1x Blue tit

tuffty
    Free Member

tuffty, nice haul!

1 marsh tit

I’m lucky to live in a farmhouse on a dairy farm. Miles from any cats!!

Klunk
    Free Member

15+ * sparrows
    3 * Jays
    1 * sparrowhawk
    1 * kestrel
    1 * red kite
    9 * starlings
    3 * wood pigeon
    4 * blue tits
    2 * wren
    2 * robin
    8 * blackbird
    10 * chaffinch
    4 * goldfinch
    4 * great tit
    6 * reed bunting
    1 * song thrush
    1 * bull finch
    1 * mistle thrush
    4 * collared dove
    4 * long tail tit
    4 * dunnocks
    4 * Jackdaws
    2 * magpies

missing this year coal tits, and usually have a pair of bullfinches, the sparrows have really gone nuts this year and are decimating the feeders !!!

teasel
    Free Member

Only just seen this thread so didn’t take numbers but have seen a lot of Klunk’s list but with the addition of the lovely little goldcrest.

Got some nice vids of the goldfinch wrecking a few teasel heads and doing some sort of weird ‘dance’. I’ll stick it here if I put it on YT.

bearnecessities

15+ * sparrows
    3 * Jays
    1 * sparrowhawk
    1 * kestrel
    1 * red kite
    9 * starlings
    3 * wood pigeon
    4 * blue tits
    2 * wren
    2 * robin
    8 * blackbird
    10 * chaffinch
    4 * goldfinch
    4 * great tit
    6 * reed bunting
    1 * song thrush
    1 * bull finch
    1 * mistle thrush
    4 * collared dove
    4 * long tail tit
    4 * dunnocks
    4 * Jackdaws
    2 * magpies

Not jealous, no, not at all!

13thfloormonk

grey wagtail

Ha, very timely post, I saw a strange bird today that I couldn’t identify (so… not one of the five most common garden birds then 🙄 ) turns out it was a grey wagtail, every day’s a school day 8)

My mum’s feeders were similarly mobbed by sparrows and chaffinches over christmas, with an occasional visiting pair of goldfinches which I had never seen before, lovely wee birds.

Also *heard* a bullfinch calling for the first time up in Bonaly near the Pentlands, lovely call, I remember Gerard Durrell describing it and his description really does it justice.

Bunnyhop

Ha, very timely post, I saw a strange bird today that I couldn’t identify (so… not one of the five most common garden birds then ) turns out it was a grey wagtail, every day’s a school day

They are usually around running water.
    Klunk – your list is amazing, where in the country are you?

In our garden we normally have: wrens, robins, dunnocks, goldfinch, bullfinch, greenfinch, coal tits, great tits, blue tits, long tailed tits, even saw a brambling last week and a blackcap, blackbirds, jackdaws, wood pigeons, the odd starling and a sparrowhawk. sometimes fieldfare in the tree and maybe a woodpecker.
    Which makes my list look rubbish compared to the birds I normally see.

shifter
    Free Member

Saw a Cormorant this morning on way to school.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Not just this weekend, but we regularly get visits from:

Blue tits
    Great tits
    Coal tits
    Robins
    Dunnocks
    Blackbirds
    Wrens
    Collared doves
    Wood pigeons
    Jackdaws
    Magpies

We also very occasionally get long tailed tits and have even seen a couple of jays and a heron. The latter was after my shubunkins so got chased off double quick

No house sparrows though.even though the post office round the corner has plenty

Klunk
    Free Member

Klunk – your list is amazing, where in the country are you?

East Midlands, quite a small garden but it backs onto fields with Hedgerow and ditch along behind the back fence which gives us a lot of through traffic. Spring and Summer we also get skylarks in the field behind. We also have 3 of these

1 with mixed seed, 1 with sunflower and one with peanuts !!

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I missed this so I’ve not done the garden poll,but I moved to this place 15 months ago & the one thing that stands out with the wildlife in the backgarden was hearing a blackbird do it’s alarm call & a couple of seconds later a male Sparrowhawk landed on the fence,never seen one close up before & the last place I expected to see one was on my garden fence! 😯

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘RSPB. Big Garden Bird Watch this weekend’ is closed to new replies.