Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • RS Yari 160 mm sucking down
  • Scamper
    Free Member

Only by 5mm – I’ve carried out a lowers service and installed the ramp control. Loads of threads on this for the pike so I’ve tried burping, pulling up, inflating the air pressure. Sometimes the forks suck down when letting the air out, sometimes don’t.

Before I take the air side apart, is it the same issue of a blocked port with grease as with Pike? Could not see anything on the tech docs.

qwerty
    Free Member

is it the same issue of a blocked port with grease as with Pike?

If it’s a solo air then its highly likely. With my Revelation i use minimal grease on the air shaft and add a little oil instead.

pictonroad

I don’t buy the blocked grease port line, would it really not clear with 150 psi trying to get through or is that not how it works?

Sorted my Pikes that had the same symptoms by letting all the air out then inflating to maximum pressure. They kept sucking down, haven’t done it since. Advice passed on to me from someone else who had sorted it out themselves.

jonnym92

Sorted my Pikes that had the same symptoms by letting all the air out then inflating to maximum pressure.

Same here. Tried zip ties and all sorts of rubbish. Just dropped the air, pumped them right up, bounced them a bit and they’ve been fine since..

Big-Bud
    Free Member

the port doesn,t get blocked with grease nigh on impossible in pikes ,burping using a zip tie only make it worse
    what you have likely done is followed mbr,s service which states pushing the lowers upto the crown then tightening the base nuts
    this is where the sucking down issue occurs
    just assemble the lowers and slowly push them up so the threads pop through no more
    tighten job done problem sorted -just don’t push the lowers upto the crown like fox forks etc

Scamper
    Free Member

You might be onto something there Bud. I know in general to only slide the lowers onto engage, but I remember then having to add serious psi but the forks just not being right, so I undid the foot bolts to release the vacuum.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Its considered normal now with air forks and their larger negative springs, air Fox forks come up about 4mm less than their stated travel because of it.

Like almost every problem with suspension, it can be cured by going to coil.

This is what mtbers get for being weight weenies.

tdog
    Free Member

+1 bring back coil forks.

My pikes I believe show 5 mm more travel than stated and seem to sag unloaded approx that so any tips?

Scamper
    Free Member

Is there a thread on here were I can get any info on a coil conversion? 😆

tdog
    Free Member

Ooooo a coil conversion for Pike, D’oh forgot to think of that!

Could be on the cards, me now wonders if anyone on this thread has done just that can tell me how much was conversion to coil?

tdog
    Free Member

Nice1 !

Scamper
    Free Member

Pulled the simple air shaft out and the port, or rather dimple looked fine. A fair amount of grease in there though. I noticed the air shaft was stamped “pike 29 150mm” which is odd.

Also now can’t seem to pop the seal head back into the shaft. Mmmmm.

Scamper
    Free Member

Took the air spring out, had a look and reassembled the lowers exactly as by the Tech Doc. Still sucking down by 5 mm max but I’ve concluded its actually sticky seals. They are sticky enough to make setting sag impossible and pulling up on the bike gently is enough to get back to maximum travel.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘RS Yari 160 mm sucking down’ is closed to new replies.