Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • RS SIDs – Motion Control vs Black Box damping?
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

Will I notice any real-world difference in comfort/control?

CRC are doing both for a pretty tempting price – £315 for Race with MC damping and £365 for Team with BB damping. Worth the extra £50?

whyterthanwhite
    Free Member

Well apparently, the black box lockout actually does lock out nice and firm unlock previous models which have a bit of movement in them iirc.

That's not from experience though so best off waiting for someone else's review who owns them.

However it might be a squeezing the gap between rockshox forks and fox forks hopefully with black box dampening. (he hopes) 🙂

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Cheers WTW.

Any others out there with experience or opinion? Or no-one speaking to me?

Offroading
    Free Member

Blackbox has low and high speed compression circuits, motion control only has low i think.

But i like it much better on my WC's than the motion control.

dobo
    Free Member

happy with my races, best fork i've owned, i had a quick carpark go on teams but couldnt tell, not much help
    i can confirm that the lockout on races doesn't completely lock out though, which is not an issue, hardly use it anyway and really shouldnt be a deciding factor.

Dougal
    Free Member

Blackbox is a little heavier, and having ridden both for some considerable time, I can't tell the difference (dislaimer, I'm light, so it's likely I'm not pounding the damping enough to see any benefit).

Current motion control also locks out fully, depends where you have the blow-off set.

IMO I'd save the £50.

crazy-legs

BB will lock out fully if you want it to, you can set the blow-off to have it "fairly firm" to "completely solid".

Like Dougal though, I've ridden both and really can't tell the difference once the fork is set up (which can take a fair bit of time!) but again, I'm pretty light so tend to wind the damping to near minimal anyway.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Cheers guys – will probably be guided by my stingy Highlander gene then.

Are they a sturdy enough fork to go on a Titus Racer X for some racing as well as some big hill days. I want it to be light but strong enough to take abuse (I'm a lightweight too)

whyterthanwhite
    Free Member

@Dougal, – I had the flood gate set to the maximum firm setting and still get movement when locked out. 😕

Didn't realise they had fast speed compression as well on bb sids, interesting.

BoardinBob

Nice wee tech video on the various features of the Mission Control set up

crazy-legs

Are they a sturdy enough fork to go on a Titus Racer X for some racing as well as some big hill days. I want it to be light but strong enough to take abuse (I'm a lightweight too)

I've had both the old WC and the new generation Team SIDs and they're plenty tough enough. The older ones used to get out of their depth fairly quickly in rocky terrain, you could feel them start to twang but then they weren't really designed for it!
    The newer ones are much stiffer, an ideal lightweight trail fork and with loads of adjustability.

BoardinBob

You can get the Reba Teams for £305 with the black box setup. Don't think the SIDs offer a great deal more

http://www.bikeoutlet.co.uk/products/Rockshox_Reba_Team_100mm_26_2009-826-0.html

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘RS SIDs – Motion Control vs Black Box damping?’ is closed to new replies.