Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • RS Revs Dual Air- Bang!
  • Ambrose

I’m now back at the apartment in Morzine after my forks went bang about an hour ago 🙁

They were knocking/ clicking on the left side I think, and about five minutes later the top dust seal popped off with a bit of a bang and a hiss.

So- Any ideas what has failed and can I fix it here and now, I have a good selection of tools with me? I do not have a service kit.

Could a shop get it fixed before tomorrow, my last full day here? I know I could ask around the shops but at the moment I am kicking my heals whilst I wait for Mrs Ambrose to return.

Should I even bother- perhaps hire a bike for the last day, a mate has hired a really nice Santa Cruz from town for 59 Euros per day.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

It would “probably” be repaired by a full service and seal replacement. We have had similar a couple of times.
    If tomorrow’s your last day, just hire a bike and get it done at home if I was you…
    Id be surprised if you’d get it sorted in time out there, and it could need more doing.
    Get a hire bike sorted today for tomorrow and crack on!

PJM1974
    Free Member

The air spring seals are ronnied, this will in turn leak pressure into the left lower, hence the seal popping. Older U-Turn Revs did this quite a lot IMHO.

It should be fixable, but you’ll need a seal kit, some grease and some fork oil. All in you’re looking at a couple of hours’ work. As for tools, you’ll need allen keys, circlip pliers, rags, Isopropyl Alcohol, a mallet and a plastic pick. You’re probably better off finding a friendly bike shop and turning up with a box of Jaffa Cakes and some fine ales.

Ambrose

I’m thinking as much too, far easier. Ta.

Ambrose

Hmmm- problem remains. I have stripped the air side of the fork and did not find anything amiss at all. I have replaced all the seals using RS service kit as per RS service manuals. Upon re-pressurising the forks up pops the stanchion seal again.

Suggestions?

Wally

You are putting the thicker tighter seals on the top and bottom of air piston shaft? Only I serviced my fork and put on the thinner larger ones and my fork did exactly that, leaked air from lower chamber to finally blow the stanchion seal.

Ambrose

I’ll take a look, but I think that I replaced like for like.

Ambrose

Update- they live. I stripped and rebuilt again with the same (new)seal kit. All is now fine. Who knows eh?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘RS Revs Dual Air- Bang!’ is closed to new replies.