Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • RS Revelation v Fox Float ?
  • justa
    Free Member

Thinking of upgrading to a 140mm fork and narrowed it down to these two…

Will be the QR versions as can't justify expense of changing front wheel,

Been 'out of the scene' for a while – Fox used to have a poor reputation reliability wise,

Which should i go for ?

ta

jeb

Rock shox #1

easy to service, motion control is so easy to set up, and
    works perfect.

Pauly

+1 for Rockshox.

Had my Revs for a couple of months now and love them.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

blast from the past.

did you stop riding for a bit Justa?

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

Revs are pretty good, but get them in coil. I don't like the dual air system as they feel horrible, and if you make them really responsive the travel drops to about 80-100mm.

Coil Pikes are even better (I'm not sure if they do them in QR anymore though).

Fox forks are very good performance-wise and they're really reliable, but the problem is that they need a lot of TLC otherwise they just fall apart. We're talking TLC more often than the manual recommends (halve the major service intervals and clean them properly after every ride), as they work fine in dry California, but the wet goo from the UK does them no good at all.

justa
    Free Member

thanks folks – more confused now though !

lobby – yes i did

back now though after getting my head straight 🙂

Daffy

My 09 Talas have been flawless, and they're superior to my 09 Revs IMO.

IdleJon

CaptainBudget – Member

Fox forks are very good performance-wise and they're really reliable, but the problem is that they need a lot of TLC otherwise they just fall apart.

Not my experience at all. I've had F120RLs on one of my bikes since October 08. I have treated them exactly the same as any of my other forks and they are still working well. I haven't serviced them yet, other than the wipedown, check seals and lube type service which gets done sporadically. They get ridden through the winter, whatever the weather.

Compared to the Recons on my HT they feel a little stiffer sideways, and not so quick to dive through the travel, but there's not much in it. The F120s don't build up so much mud behind the arch.

If both forks hadn't come on the bikes I would probably go for the RS purely on cost – I couldn't justify £5-600ish for Fox for only a slight increase in performance.

justa
    Free Member

anyone else ?

oh and the price is the pretty similar…

si-wilson
    Free Member

I still think Fox are better in the damping dept but there is not much in it really

Justa, if you fancy a good quote on the Floats drop me an email, i may even be able to make 15QR's cheap enough for you to buy a new wheel 🙂

justa
    Free Member

ygm…

fox . try mine and u will like um . what wheels u got ?

justa
    Free Member

stans olympics on dt swiss 240's…

oh yeh im in derby as well dont u know !

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

justa,

been looking at same so cheers for the thread. FYI On One have the Float 140RL for 300 notes, and merlin and a few others have the dual air Rev for the same

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FOFOFOX32-118-26S?utm_source=Planet+X+and+On+One&utm_campaign=87f6667723-Newsletter+Apr+15+2010&utm_medium=email

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=1931&categoryId=18

justa
    Free Member

cheers munque-chick – thats where i was looking, need to sell my forks and a hope light first though..

littlelord – your in Derby, do I know you ?!

Oh yes

justa
    Free Member

🙂

🙁 did you not make it to Spain ?

hugh_b
    Free Member

I'd go for the revs myself. I have had 09 rev QR and bolt through and now have 2010 bolt through 150mm's. All have been perfect, nice and plush, easy to set-up and a doddle to service when they need it.

Also had fox float 140 QR and didn't think much of them to be honest, never got full travel out of them either.

Hugh

Everlong
    Free Member

I replaced the Fox Floats (R) from my Orange Five over to Rock Shock Revelations (with Poploc) and have never looked back. They feel really great and seem very balanced with my RP23 rear shock.

NO !

you can try them on yours if u fancy

nickegg
    Free Member

I replaced the Fox Floats on my 5 with Rock Shox Revs Maxle.

Initially i was impressed but after a few months i decided that the Rock Shox were inferior in every way except stiffness but not by much.

Now have a Lapierre Zesty that has the new FIT damped Fox 32 15QR and they are superb. Amazingly plush, perfect balance between stiffness and some compliance and very light.

Yes they do require a wiper seal inspection every 15 hours but this equates to about once a month as this is one of two bikes i own. These are by far the best forks i've ever owned.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Been running some Revelation Teams for a few weeks now and think they're superb. Found my previous revs to be very reliable and easy to service, new ones are just as light but with 20mm more travel and a through axle. The blackbox damping doesn't feel that different in a car park bounce, but thrashing them down some rooty singletrack they feel a lot more controlled.

Dual air has to be setup properly otherwise you can end up balancing the pressures with the fork set into its travel. Make sure the negative air is emptied when setting the top fork pressure.

scotabroad

Ive got u-turn coil revs on my hardtail, and air revs on my full suss, both QR and i think they are superb forks. I'm 18st + and dont feel much in the way of felx from them.

justa
    Free Member

hmm tricky decision !

I really can'y decide – foxs look nice in white so maybe that will be the decider !

Anyone ridden both – i do like plush forks…

kamina
    Free Member

I preferred my 2007 Pikes, 2008 Dual Air Revs and 2010 Lyrik to the 2010 Fox Float.

chakaping
    Free Member

Both are good.

Fox damping is better than most RS forks, but RS forks with blackox damping are better than Fox – if that makes sense.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

In my mottly bike collection, I've got a 2004 Fox TALAS, coil sprung Revs with motion control, brand new Dual Air Revs with black box damping, Fox Vanilla RLCs, oh, and some new Floats. (err..and until recently some DT Swiss XMC130's).

TBH, the only one's that I've had problems with were the DT's. The Fox's have been fine, even though the TALAS's went over 4 years without a service (ahem). Performance wise, I think the Rockshox motion control damping is probably the least refined feeling of all the forks – the standard Fox damping is definately better at fast repeated hits. The black box damping on the new Revs is probably the best of the lot, although I've found the dual air takes a bit of faffing to get it feeling just right – despite all the hype it ain't as good as a coil spring.

Wouldn't worry about the reliability of either Fox or Rockshox, both seem way better than the other makes.

StumpyBlurRider
    Free Member

im rev'n all the way…feels so good,but not as swanky as my fox's

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I've got both and both perform well. The Revelations have been unreliable,but are now working well on the P7.
    The Floats are more subtle and so far have been problem-free.
    I'd go for Fox .

woodsman
    Free Member

I've got both. Revelation 426 coil Pushed, and Vanilla's.

Vanilla's by a huge margin for me. Plushy plush, full travel, soak up stutter bump nicely too. Rev's, none of the above really.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘RS Revelation v Fox Float ?’ is closed to new replies.