Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • RS Reba travel issue
  • cheeky_dieter
    Free Member

Hi there
    I just got round to building up a bike using a fork I bought last autumn in the Merlin sale. A RS Reba 120mm solo air. I set it up as per the guide on the side of the fork but I just don’t seem to get the travel – rather than a 120mm fork even at rest with no sag it looks like a 100mm fork at best

Any ideas if I have an internal spacer on this or is it just the way it is?

Here is the label on the forks :

Any thoughts much appreciated

Thanks

D

Sonor
    Free Member

Looks like the 20mm spacer within the air side of the fork is still in place.

cheeky_dieter
    Free Member

AH, thanks – is that easy to remove?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cheeky_dieter
    Free Member

Or should I take it to a shop to do – I’ve never taken a fork apart before…

jairaj

Solo air forks do not have spacers in them. You need to change the whole air spring to change the travel.

Looks to me as if the negative and positive chambers are not equalising correctly. If the negative chamber is significantly higher than positive it will suck the fork down.

Check the manual to see if there is a particular “reset” procedure for solo air forks and then try setting the pressure from fresh. Or try compressing the forks a few times to allow air to pass through the valve between chambers to see if that equalises them.

Failing that, take it back to Merlin to get serviced or replaced.

cheeky_dieter
    Free Member

Oooer. Thanks – I’ll have a look but I don’t think there is a “reset” procedure. Ar$e!

cfinnimore
    Free Member

This is mine the now, in the stand. I know the travel is adjustable, perhaps yours are set to 100 and need dialed up…

Don’t know if Merlin would do the work. Rather replace them.

cheeky_dieter
    Free Member

Thanks for the response everybody. I will contact Merlin tomorrow and discuss what my options are with them.

Your help is much appreciated

Cheers

codybrennan
    Free Member

Let all the air out of both chambers, inflate the positive chamber first, then the negative.

nuke

Let all the air out of both chambers, inflate the positive chamber first, then the negative.

They’re solo air…only 1 valve

codybrennan
    Free Member

Ah bollocks, sorry. My Rebas are the twin air ones.

cheeky_dieter
    Free Member

Ha! Yes my Revs were dual air. That’s one of the reasons I changed.Bloomin annoying that the air pressure changes affected travel! To me if its 120mm it should be 130mm – always struggled with that one. They are retired now 🙂

cheeky_dieter
    Free Member

So I spoke to Merlin and they could not have been more helpful. They just said send them back, there is a 2 year warranty so they will either be repaired or replaced. They send me the postage return label and I can drop the package into a shop right nearby – so much more convenient than finding a post office (remember those!) that is open!

So top marks to Merlin for great customer service and hopefully I will get my forks fixed 🙂

mjsmke

I had some leaking Rebas that had to be sent back to Merlin. Excellent customer service. No hassle. Great communication and they came back quickly.

scottrider
    Free Member

I had this travel reduction on my 100mm Reba RL’s recently. I fixed it by using the bleed valve, which is hidden under the fork lower foot nut, to release air. Pumped them back up and all was good!

cheeky_dieter
    Free Member

Forks got fixed under warranty. Merlin were fantastic and the forks came back really quickly. This is quality service! Very happy!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘RS Reba travel issue’ is closed to new replies.