• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by adsh.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • RS RCT3 damper issue. Odd one.
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve got an RCT 3 damper in my hand here. It’s come apart seemingly at random. Basically there’s a shaft which is connected to the two adjuster knobs on top and it’s popped out of the fork. I’ve taken it all to bits and I can see no obvious way of holding this assembly tight inside the damper.
    As far as I know I’ve got all the bits but I wasn’t riding it when this happened, so maybe not. I’ve searched the web and I can’t find any guides on how to reassemble the actual damper, only on its removal and refitting.
    Something’s wrong and I can’t work out what, precisely.
    Any ideas chaps?

Thanks in advance
    🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah, ive had a look at the RS manuals etc… Not that helpful….

this is what I’m looking at
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/oH2PGG]image[/url] by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

There’s a small bearing on a spring that sits in the top of the shaft, but that’s not designed to hold it all together.
    The small blue screws at the base of the outer part of the damper just hold the bottom half on.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve just spoken to the SRAM technical guys. Warranty job, I won’t be able to fix it apparently. Ahh well. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Probably the next one 🙂 is that from under the bladder in the damper? Been trying to spot where the part was from in the diagrams

bigjim

I think warranty job is a default answer, based on my Rev RCT3 when the damper is out the fork this shaft bit is just held in by the o ring at the top of the shaft there, until you reassemble and the top lever and lsc dial are screwed back in with the small allen bolt which holds it all together properly. The bb on the spring provides the indexing for the lsc dial.

Twice I’ve compressed my forks before screwing that bolt back in and this shaft has fired out the top with a lot of oil!

bigjim

amazed they are offering warranty on something you’ve taken apart yourself though!

LoCo
    Free Member

They will go back together, but if they come apart just warranty them as may have cause some damage somewhere.

Royston
    Free Member

A little while ago the lock out on my RCT3 stopped working, took it in to LBS (Auckland, NZ) and I was told it was a damper prolem (well known apparently) and I got a new damper under warranty Forks were 2 and half years old.

adsh
    Free Member

I have some SID RCT3 where the threshold gets much less effective once the bike is ridden, anyone else have this?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘RS RCT3 damper issue. Odd one.’ is closed to new replies.