Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • RS Pike's, would they fit a heavier spring as stock in a large bike?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Just wondering, I don't seem to be getting much travel on my Pikes on a 2009 Pitch Comp, even at 140mm I maybe get a dirt line halfway at the most, they feel smooth on slow bumps when crusing along but when I speed up on longer downhill bits and fast flat sections it feels a bit harsh. I'm no lightweight at about 85kg, and I can compress the forks standing still but I have to lean/jump on them very hard. Would these have a firm spring in them, it's a large frame? Seems odd as most people say they need to upgrade from a medium stock spring to a firm, I seem to need to go the other way? Or, could it be a rebound issue?

What colour spring means what? Going to dismantle tomorrow to see what I have.

glenh
    Free Member

Might be, depends on the manufacturer. Why not whip it out and have a look?

btw, how do you have the floodgate set? If you have it set to max then they will be much firmer at speed than when just pushing down on them (as you'll have lots of high speed damping).

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Just whipped it out to have a look, looks like a very dark silver.

Don't think these have a floodgate, they are the Pike 327's on the Pitch Comp and they just have the U-turn on the left leg, and rebound on the bottom of the right leg … unless they have an internal floodgate that can be adjusted that I don't know of??

High speed damping sounds like the sort of thing that could be causing this?

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I recently purchased some Pike 351's which were originally attached to a large '08 Pitch Comp. They have an xfirm spring inside but I don't know if it came with it. I'm almost happy with the spring (I'm about 76 kg) but it's slightly too firm because it won't bottom out. Apparently it takes a little while to break the springs in so it might be worth persisting with the one you've got to see what happens.

http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/service/coil_spring_chart.pdf

The above link will take you to a chart with Pike spring colours and weights. I'm looking for a Firm (blue) spring if anyone has one?

glenh
    Free Member

Hmmm, not sure what type of compression damper the 327 has then, if it doesn't have a motion control.

It does sound like too much high speed damping though. Perhaps a change to a lighter oil might help if a change of spring doesn't.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Thanks for the link GiantJaunt, according to that chart I have the black spring which would be the extrafirm? Which is a bit confusing, had a peek on ebay for pike springs and those on there that are black are saying they are medium? Might have to call TFT to confirm which spring is which, had a look at TFT but they don't list the colours, but according to that link I might be better off with a blue firm spring?

I'll look into the damper thing on these and maybe a change of oil would improve things?

Cheers 😀

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Actually, just thought, how do they colour code the springs, is the whole spring painted or something else … there's a medium/red spring on ebay but it looks exactly the same as mine – didn't take mine out fully as it would mean undo-ing the base and loss of oil, so just popped the U-turn to see the top of the spring?

😕

Del

IIRC you need to pull it completely to see a dash of colour applied to the sleeve about half way down the spring. just get some fork oil and do it – you'll need some to do the lowers service in the future anyway, and it only costs a fiver from a motorbike shop.

bol

Yes, large pitches do come with an extra firm spring as standard, or at least my 2009 comp did. Pretty sure there's a reference to it on one of the reviews somewhere if you google it.

retro83
    Free Member

The non MoCo Pikes are shite IMHO 🙁 Spike badly on high speed hits. See if you can pick up a cheap moco unit off the classifieds.

I personally think it's bloody cheeky calling them Pikes TBH

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

medium/red spring on ebay

Yeah I've seen that spring too in my hunt for a firm. My XFirm seems to have a bit of black paint on the spring it self near the top but it's not that obvious. You can remove the spring quite easily without losing oil. Here is the link:

http://www.tftunedshox.com/info/rockshox_spring_fitting.aspx

I found that I had to hit the bottom a bit harder than I was expecting to release it. Are yours 351's? I was wondering if TFT add the compression dampening bits if you get them tuned up by them?

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I'll take the spring out completely today to see if I can find any paint or colour on it somewhere, I've got some fork oil. And I'm sure I've seen a set of these fitting with motion control/lockout in the right leg on an mtbr forum, so might be a worthwhile upgrade if not too expensive.

'Spike badly on high speed hits' is how I would describe it, only really noticed it after spending most of the winter on another bike with air forks, so I'd like to get them as 'plush'.

Cheers for the replies.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘RS Pike's, would they fit a heavier spring as stock in a large bike?’ is closed to new replies.