Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • RS Pikes bottomless tokens – noticeable difference?
  • hboycey
    Free Member

Just bought and fitted some Pikes (RCT3 solo airs) and was thinking about adding one of the bottomless tokens. Is it worth fitting them? will i notice the difference? any disadvantages to fitting them?

just after some real world experience

benmarshall
    Free Member

Abosultely a noticible difference in the last ~3rd of the travel.

Adding tokens is great for aggressive riding. How many is right for you depends on your weight, riding style, fork length etc etc. Rockshox have a table (which should come with the pikes) to say what they recommend.

I’ve added two to mine when RockShox recommend zero as an example. I do like to ride reasonably aggressivly and it helps to stop the forks smashing through the travel whilst allowing me to maintain good small bump performance with a proper sag set up.

There’s no harm in playing with it I’d say, they are extremely easy to put in or take out (30 second job, .. just deflate, unscrew air sring top cap, reinflate….). Ride it for a while with none, then add 1 and see, then add another and see….

jemima
    Free Member

Yes – definitely noticeable difference. With correct sag (albeit on the soft end of the scale) I was regularly hitting full travel on modest trails and feeling like I was pitching over the front of the bike as a result.
    Popped a couple in (thought I’d go for two so any difference was discernible) and with the same pressure I’ve not gone near full travel since (10 mm clearance). I need to check how much difference in sag I have compared to before, likely I can let a few psi out as the pressure will have increased a bit at the sag point due to the faster pressure increase with travel.
    The forks do feel much more ‘supportive’.
    Don’t think there’s any disadvantage – there’s maybe a couple of features in the woods where the fork doesn’t feel as plush but as mentioned I’ve still some tuning to do.

I do find it quite intriguing though as a couple years ago the definition of a good air fork was a ‘coil-like’ (i.e. linear) feel and now we’re tuning air forks to make them more progressive (i.e. more air-like)! I guess the air volume in modern forks must be a good bit larger.

wilko1999
    Free Member

I’m currently up to two, and am still bottoming out the fork quite easily with about 25% sag setting. 160mm 26″ versions by the way. I’m about 15 stone kitted out though, going to try a third token. As above they’re dead easy to fit and try out.

andylc
    Free Member

Before fitting tokens I found my 160 Pikes going straight through their travel if set at an appropriate psi for good small bump compliance. 1 made a small difference but 2 is perfect for me, and I only weigh 65kg but do ride aggressively and like being airborne.

hboycey
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll give it a go without them this weekend then make some adjustments. Sounds and looks easy enough to fit.

mjsmke

My Pikes (130mm) came with 2 pre installed. They were using all travel on 2ft drops so added a 3rd. Small bump compliance is still the same but the last 20mm or so of travel is firmer. Nice and easy to do.

julians
    Free Member

I agree that they do make a difference, they really do ramp up the spring rate in the last 3rd of travel.

However I’m surprised that everyone finds they need to fit them, I’ve 160mm 27.5 pikes, and have tried it with and without a token.

Without a token I get to about 10mm from full travel, with a token it doesnt go beyond about 30-40mm from full travel. So I use them without tokens, Its not like I’m a featherweight either (weigh 88kg),and I have good small bump compliance so its not like I have massive pressure in them, I must be a complete mincer .

kimbers

what sag you running julians?

im similar weight and without tokens i was crashing through the travel on relatively small drops with about 25-30% sag

ive actually just ordered a 3rd token just to see how it will feel

julians
    Free Member

what sag you running julians?

30% sag.

wilko1999
    Free Member

I’m still crashing through the travel on relatively small drops with two tokens as well, at 25-30% sag. Although I’m a little heavier kitted out at about 95kg. I must have very little finesse I think. Anyway, I also have some more tokens on order to try out a third.

EDIT Don’t know why I said all that, my post above says pretty much exactly the same thing save for different units of rider + kit weight. I’m losing it 😳

GHill

Fox are adding something similar to next year’s models, so it must be fashionable…

I’m mostly kidding, made a noticeable difference with my Rebas.

bigjim

you guys are pretty saggy. I settled on one token and less sag, with two I never used the last 1cm travel.

gazman428
    Free Member

On my 160 pikes I have left it as I got it. I only hit full travel on big jumps or drops, I’m 108kg but I do ride heavily on the rear.

My 120 reba on my other bike on the other hand, I have minimum sag as otherwise I bottom them out doing nothing. gonna fit a few in them.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘RS Pikes bottomless tokens – noticeable difference?’ is closed to new replies.