Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • RS Pike U Turn – Tell me More
  • letmetalktomark

Fancy trying one instead of my Reba on my Soul.

Fancy a U turn for obvious reasons.

I weigh circa 100kg so would the stock spring be too soft?

What are peoples thoughts on the air u turn?

walla24
    Free Member

stock spring will def. be too weak, will need an x-firm but that only covers just over 100kg.

im 98kg and had x-firm coil pikes for a while, loved them but always felt a bit soft. swapped for air u-turns which can be set up for much higher weights and love them more, would recommend.

letmetalktomark

Good news Walla.

Just need to find some Air U turns in budget 😳

walla24
    Free Member

ah you may be pleasantly surprised, ask in the classifieds?

i managed to swap my coil pikes for air u-turn that were slightly older and a bit scuffed up, serviced them at home + drop of paint sorted.

but just make sure thay have been recently serviced, too many stories of oil leakage to risk it!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

[/quote]stock spring will def. be too weak, will need an x-firm but that only covers just over 100kg

It won't be that bad actually. I'm about the same and I've tried it. Fine for general use. An X-firm will probably be waaaaay too heavy too, despite what RS say. Their spring weights are notoriously on the heavy side. 🙂

walla24
    Free Member

fair play PP, as with all things i guess it depends on where the OP will be wanting to ride. heres what Tim Flookes has to say:

The standard spring fitted in these forks is a Medium, which is suitable for a rider weight of 65-75kg, all kitted up. If you’re over this, you’ll need a Firm or X-Firm spring. If you’re over 100kg, you’d be better to consider an air fork as the X-Firm won’t be suitable for extreme riding.

letmetalktomark

PeterPoddy – Member

stock spring will def. be too weak, will need an x-firm but that only covers just over 100kg

It won't be that bad actually. I'm about the same and I've tried it. Fine for general use. An X-firm will probably be waaaaay too heavy too, despite what RS say. Their spring weights are notoriously on the heavy side.

Interesting……

The coils are considerably cheaper…..hmm.

Are they much heavier than the Reba's

epicsteve
    Free Member

I'm also pretty heavy and running coil U-turn Pikes with the standard springs. Perhaps it's because I'm not that agressive a rider but I've finding the stock springs ok and haven't noticed the forks bottoming out yer although I'm getting plenty of travel.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

fair play PP, as with all things i guess it depends on where the OP will be wanting to ride. heres what Tim Flookes has to say:

Yep, they've changed their tune from when they sold me a firm rather than an X-firm spring a few years ago, and told me exactly what I just told you, which I found to be right on the money. My Pitch came with the standard spring and I rode it round as it was and only fitted a firm when I was going to the Alps last year
    Right now I've got a Lyrik on the bike, with the standard spring in it too. I've got a firm ready for the Alps again, but I'm not sure I really need it. We'll see. I have a mate who must be about 13 stone who switches between a standard and a SOFT spring on his Pikes (on a Heckler) too. Food for thought?? 🙂

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I am about 85kg kitted up and just run the standard spring with no problems.
    I could be persuaded to sell mine if you are interested as I am looking to buy something a bit longer in travel
    Email in profile if you want some more details.
    Cheers
    Steve

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘RS Pike U Turn – Tell me More’ is closed to new replies.