• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by nuke.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • RS Pike – hydraulic lock – cause and remedy?
  • Rik
    Free Member

Riding on Sunday and my dual air Pikes went from full available140mm travel to only having around 75mm then the fork ramps up and won’t go any further. Not happened before, the 75mm available is still smooth and contoled but won’t go any further into it’s stroke.

It’s not been long since a lower leg service.

Any ideas before I strip them tonight for the cause and what to look out for. I am thinking that the damper oil might need changing with a full strip or I’ll be looking out for oil leaking out of the bottom of the cartridge into the lower leg.

Any other causes?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Pished the oil out of the damper into the lowers….have a catch tray at hand when you take the foot nuts out!!
    £20ish for a damper seal kit from tf.

LoCo
    Free Member

Or a pair of seal heads seals 😉

Rik
    Free Member

I presuming it’s just the O ring in the bottom of the cartridge if it’s phishing oil into the lower leg. But TF will sell me a kit which is more than what I need?

While Loco might be able to sell me just the o ring…….if so cool and huge thanks if that’s the case.

Am I on the right lines for the route cause then?

carbon337
    Free Member

My Lyriks did the same – seal head seals but they came in a bag full of handy bits from TF tuned for 20 quid. All grand now.

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes, pair of seals for the seal head available as are full damper/MoCo seal kits. In the workshop till about 5 today 😀

Rik
    Free Member

Oh I was gong to measure the amount of oil that comes out of each leg when I drop the lowers.

I’ve done a full strip before. – but only to clean when everything was working….

Rik
    Free Member

Awesome loco I should have time to strip them tonight or tomorrow then I’ll be in touch.

grum
    Free Member

Same problem on my coil U-Turn Pikes – same solution? The lockout no longer seems to work either. Sorry for the slight hijack.

walleater

Presumably the oil height has dropped and the lockout part of the damper is no longer sitting in oil.

Rik
    Free Member

Stripped the fork and all the O ring seals where in good condition and still looked fine. The damper oil was not the best colour though. So…

Rebuilt the fork with new oil and rc-35 grease, working fine post re-build but will only really tell after a few rides. If it goes again def will use a new seal head kit.

stumpy01

grum – Member
    Same problem on my coil U-Turn Pikes – same solution? The lockout no longer seems to work either. Sorry for the slight hijack

Yeah, same problem.
    On my Reba’s the lockout I notice the lockout going first, which is a sure sign that they need doing.

I stuck new o-rings in on the damper side and they’ve now been good for 8 months or so now.

jools182
    Free Member

wondering if thats why I only get half travel on my lyriks?

deanfbm
    Free Member

On the subject of seals in pikes, anyone had any luck getting the conical o-ring that is in the top part of a moco damper?

The one that stops oil coming out the top of the moco through the centre.

nuke

anyone had any luck getting the conical o-ring that is in the top part of a moco damper?

Contact Loco…that’s where I got my replacement from. Also got the necessary o-rings from Loco for the same problem Rik has. Came with a nice sticker as well 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘RS Pike – hydraulic lock – cause and remedy?’ is closed to new replies.