Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • RS Lyrik 2 Step not stepping. Help me understand why.
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

I know I probably should send them to somebody to get them fixed but I would rather know why they arnt working and fix them myself. I have got the service sheet of the SRAM site and after stripping I think I have worked out how the 2step works.

So what I did is drain the oil at the top of the leg and reset the IFP as it was mid way through the housing. I refilled the top of the leg with 5wt oil, RS recommend 2.5wt but I didn’t have any. Now as I understand it when you set the 2step to min it opens a port which gives the oil more room to move around and this means the IFP can move up and this lowers the travel. Well I think that’s how it works but I am probably wrong.

After putting them back together the 2step still isn’t working but I don’t understand why. Could it really be that the setup is so sensitive that using the 5wt instead of 2.5wt means that the oil can’t move in the way it is supposed to?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Bump for the daytime people that know more than me.

Liftman

Change them to coil, fairly easy to do and the parts arent that expensive, total tranforms the fork.

The whole design of the 2 step air was flawed, i think they have all failed in the end.

RustyMac

Drop Loco an email he should be able to advise how to repair them or atleast on the best route to modify them.

hora
    Free Member

TBH if they are still under warranty? get them sent off and the new adapted version fitted.

jam-bo

Mine were fixed under warranty and started doing it again a month or so later.

conversion to coil is simple and by far the best option.

LoCo
    Free Member

Did you change the seals at the same time as rebuilding? If not this may point to a possible cause as will the use of 5wt which is not what is specced.
    Hard to diagnose without having them in front of me.
    I’d also suggest maybe a change to coil Uturn as well as you’ll get some weel performing trouble free forks with only a marginal weight gain.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I just spoke to fishers and the said send them in to get the new stuff fitted as it is better. I wonder how many different types of 2step assemblies there have been over the years.

I did think about swapping to u-turn but I really like the idea behind 2step and the fact that if I loose(or gain) some weight I can just change the air pressure and not spend £50 on a new spring.

LoCo
    Free Member

Free repair, good result

devs
    Free Member

+1 Coil U turn conversion. It rocks. You just know that any fix to the 2 step will fail at some point. Crap design.

mrblobby
    Free Member

What’s the cost of the coil conversion?

I_Ache
    Free Member

I would assume that the coil conversion would cost about £70 plus labour. The coil and Uturn assembly is £53 on its own plus the dial and some oil etc.

LoCo
    Free Member

£101.97 at retail price as you need the top out spring assm, uturn coil and uturn adjuster knob.

However I’m significantly cheap than this mail me for a price 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks LoCo. Am reasonably happy with my air ones at the moment, but if they do start playing up then I’ll be sending them to you!

Rickos
    Free Member

I’d imagine they’ll swap the internals to the new Dual Position stuff rather than the old 2-Step. If that’s the case then a good result.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I hope they do the DPA system looks good. Its totally air too so no nasty hydraulic leaks to worry about. The guy at fishers said that they would put the latest system in that hadn’t been returned by anyone, yet.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘RS Lyrik 2 Step not stepping. Help me understand why.’ is closed to new replies.